Lad’s Miracle Flight With Pilots N Paws From Louisville to UC Davis!

Lad’s Miracle Flight With Pilots N Paws From Louisville to UC Davis!

Lad had VIP status during his flight to California!

Lad had VIP status during his flight to California!

Thousands of you followed this very special story as it unfolded a few days ago, and we are happy to announce that Lad was flown from KY to CA this past Saturday so that he could receive cutting edge surgeries to reconstruct the bottom portion of his jaw!

Lad is a Collie that was shot in the mouth in February. Due to the extent of his injuries, it was deemed medically necessary to surgically remove most of his lower jaw in order to ensure his survival. He is now at UC Davis undergoing further evaluation to analyze the best route of reconstructive surgery.

A large portion of Lad's lower jaw was removed in order to save his life from a gunshot wound to his face

A large portion of Lad’s lower jaw was removed in order to save his life from a gunshot wound to his face

Pilots N paws volunteers and supporters rallied together within less than a day with offers of help, and as a team we were able to pull off what at first seemed  impossible: a cross country flight request on Thursday that needed to be flown by Monday at the latest! Not only did we meet this deadline, but a willing and able PNP pilot stepped up to the plate within hours of the request!

Lad did amazingly well during the flight, and during his travels he won over the hearts of all who crossed his path. His strength and ability to love throughout this tragedy, coupled with the outcry of support on his behalf is truly inspiring.

We appreciate all of your donations so that we can continue to help animals like Lad. If you would like to make a donation, please visit this link: http://pilotsnpaws.org/donate/ We’ve loved reading your messages of appreciation and support thanking this very special pilot and everyone at the Arrow Fund for their amazing commitment to getting Lad the medical attention he needs and deserves.

We love this photo of Lad staring off into the distance at the airport in Louisville. It's as if he knows he's about to embark on a journey that will carry him more than 2,000 miles across the country

We love this photo of Lad staring off into the distance at the airport in Louisville. It’s as if he knows he’s about to embark on a journey that will carry him more than 2,000 miles across the country

We are so honored to have worked on this mission with such amazing people! A huge round of applause for the incredible work done by The Arrow Fund. Their dedication to targeting animal cruelty and working on these heartbreaking cases is truly commendable. A sincere thank you to the medical staff at UC Davis; we know that he is in great hands while in their care.

By Kathleen Quinn Charleston Executive Director, Pilots N Paws
En route to Sacramento

En route to Sacramento

Veterinarians say it is a miracle Lad survived the initial trauma of his injuries

Twitter Digg Delicious Stumbleupon Technorati Facebook Email

47 Responses to “Lad’s Miracle Flight With Pilots N Paws From Louisville to UC Davis!”

1. Can you say who flew him? The company/charter whatever that owns the aircraft, what kind of jet, who the pilots were? I’d love to know! It’s always amazing when the small planes fly legs. But to get a jet to fly across country? Wow! Someone has a huge heart.

2. Diane Williams 18. Mar, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Thank You, for all you did for Lad, I am in Yorkshire, England, and have followed lad’s story. He is only a puppy and some excuse for a human did this terrible crime to him. He has look’s so happy flying VIP with you, Thank you again. xx

3. Precious Boy. I only hope he can feel the love. It is surrounding him.

4. Please keep us updated on his progress. Animals are so amazing what they can put up with and forgive us. Remember dog spelled backwards is GOD.

5. the work done here is Gods work.

6. Thank you Pilots N Paws- from a Lad fan in Sacramento… a fan of UC Davis Vet… thank you for being so wonderful to Lad and Rebecca of Arrow Fund and to all animals..I will share this story and try to help get you the donations and recognition you deserve.. Bless you Pilots N Paws..

7. Christine Koning 18. Mar, 2014 at 1:13 pm

You are all wonderful!!!! Love and kisses from Layca, Lucky and Layok from the Netherlands.

8. Bless his heart!!

9. You are true heroes. Thank you for being there and stepping up to get Lad to UC Davis. I love you all!!! HUGS

10. Thanks for all you do to help these dogs. Love to Lad!

Marge
    Almost Home Dog Rescue of Ohio
    Specializing in purebred Collies and Shelties

11. LAD is remarkable, not only that he survived this terrible injury, but that he still has love for all in his heart and eyes. He seems to thrive around people instead of being afraid, amazing. Thanks to the pilot and anyone else responsible for getting this gorgeous LAD to Ca in time for his Dr’s appt that will hopefully help him get some sort of jaw again, and help him with his tongue, eating, and that wonderful drool (the fact he is alive makes it wonderful). GO LAD, enjoy your adventure and keep capturing hearts wherever you go. Donna and Kodie

12. VIP must mean Very Important Puppy! And of course, Lad is certainly that to people around the world who have followed this young collie’s story. Thank you, Pilots N Paws, for flying injured Lad from KY to CA last weekend, thus giving him a chance for reconstructive surgery at UC Davis’ topnotch Veterinary School. News of that flight airlifted thousands of hearts straight up to Cloud Nine. You are our heroes. All good wishes for your continued success.

13. Many thanks to the wonderful volunteer pilots who believe that animals deserve as much help as is possible, especially when people are responsible for their problems.

14. God bless everyone who has helped and is helping Lad. I am praying for a miracle. I am so happy he is doing well. He is a beautiful dog.

15. You are in our thoughts and prays Lad. We want to thank all the volunteers who saved him and the PNP volunteers who got him to Ca. What a wonderful group of people. Bless them all. Praying all goes well with his surgeries. <3
    Pam Brown Indiana

16. Thank you and bless all the people involved in helping this beautiful boy!

17. Thank you all for helping this beautiful pup!! You all continue to do amazing work in helping so many furbabies find their new lives with loving people! I wish this sweetie happy new beginnings! May God bless everyone who has and is helping this beautiful dog! ♥

18. Bless you pilots!

19. I love it that the inhumane people who shot him are finding out that they are the very cruel ones and that Lad is the hero…. God will punish whoever did this horrible act. Thankful to those who are able to help him. God will also remember those acts of kindness toward Lad who is God’s creation… He loves all his creation and Lad is no exception.

20. I want to thank everyone at Pilots N Paws for the fantastic effort put in for this distressing case of Lad. I have been watching from ‘Day 1′ and had to donate on ‘Day 2′ after an evening of tears and worry. Lad has touched the hearts of thousands around the world, all watching and hoping for the best for him. You and The Arrow Fund, with the staff at Blue Pearl, deserve the biggest thanks ever. In our eyes you are all heros, but the biggest hero of all is Lad and his fighting spirit…….. If there were more people like you the world would be a much better place! Thank you once again.

21. Sylvia Brisbane 18. Mar, 2014 at 3:59 pm

I have followed Lad from the start of his journey. I have Golden named Sunny and love animals. I find it hard to believe that someone could do this horrible thing to a beautiful animal. My love go’s out to the Arrow Fund for all they have done for this boy and all the others they help. My Thank you for your help in getting him to his next step in his healing and knowing all humans are not to be afraid of. I can not thank you for all you do for our furry face friends. Sylvia Brisbane Idaho

22. Sylvia Brisbane 18. Mar, 2014 at 4:10 pm

Wishing Lad all the love and care he needs to live a beautiful life!

23. I absolutely love this dog.

24. Drool is really COOL WE LOVE you all BRUZZI AND ROCKSANNE

25. I have followed Lad’s story since it broke around the 9th of February. His original condition was heartbreaking and I spent several sleepless nights praying for him and wondering if he could survive. The care Lad has received from Arrow and Blue Pearl and the outpouring of love and contributions toward his care is heartwarming. I still get tears in my eyes when I see this regal collie boy and his courage despite his circumstances. He is more than a survivor. Lad is a conqueror. God bless him and those involved in his care. I would adopt him in a heartbeat.

26. Thank you to the rescuers and pilots that saved this sweet boy!!! Surviving a gunshot to the mouth, which i’d imagine would be excruciating at the best of levels, this pup deserves all the love and support along with reconstructive surgery and rehab. He’s obviously got the will to live, love and trust. He’s a trooper, let’s not fail him again. The family that adopts this lovely animal will be so very lucky. Hugs to you Lad!! xo

27. Diane Troxell 18. Mar, 2014 at 6:45 pm

Word. AWESOME!

28. Such a great story after such a tragic story. 2 paws up for whomever furnished the jet. Based on the interior size I guessing this was a $10,000/hour aircraft, so with a 3 hour trip each way from Louisville to Sacramento, this was a $60,000 gift. What an amazing gift for this amazing animal.

May the love you get eclipse the pain you’ve felt Lad. On behalf of the human race, I apologize.

29. Minnie Ann Piercey 18. Mar, 2014 at 7:44 pm

Thank you Arrow Fund, Blue Pearl, UC Davis, and Pilots N Paws, and especially your pilot for all your excellent work in helping a special little angel, Lad I’m from Newfoundland , Canada and have followed Lad since day 1. It’s so heart warming to see how far he has come in such a short time . A beautiful soul but that’s a collie, always so loving and adorable! Thank you again!!!

30. minnie ann piercey 18. Mar, 2014 at 7:48 pm

Thank you Arrow Fund, Blue Pearl, UC Davis, and Pilots N Paws, and especially your pilot for all your excellent work in helping a special little angel, Lad. I’m from Newfoundland , Canada and have followed Lad since day one. It’s so heart warming to see how far he has come in such a short time . A beautiful soul but that’s a collie, always so loving and adorable! Thank you again!!!

31. May God be with Lad and all who care for him. It is so sad that humans can be so cruel. Accept my apology Lad.

32. This is another time you PILOTS have saved a dog – thanks sooooooo much
    Please take pictures and post – every time you make a flight/save a life – we want to celebrate YOU.

33. Thank God for PNP, your awesome….Yayyyy Lad, we all love you !!!!

34. Wow, how incredibly generous! I tracked the flight online and it looks like the plane was on its way from the east coast to the west coast, and made a couple extra stops to pick up Lad in Louisville and get him to Sacramento. How kind of the plane’s owners and pilots. Flying in style, Lad!

35. Thanks to all that have supported the wellbeing of Lad.

36. Kathy Trombini 19. Mar, 2014 at 7:44 am

Love hearing stores like this. It certainly restores my faith in how good some people are. I’m certainly routing for Lad. I have no doubt that he’ll be just fine. As for that person who shot him, may he rot in hell.

37. Thank you for flying our beautiful, loving Lad to California and for helping animals every day with the work you do. Lad has earned his wings (he is an angel among us) and I look forward to reading more about his incredible journey. He is an inspiration and so is your organization. Blessings to your pilots, crew and staff.

- To have faith, is to have wings.

#LOVE4LAD

38. thank you pilot & paws

39. So many people with so much love. I can’t imagine what poor Lad has gone through but I can see that with God’s help, he has found so many friends across the world to help him through this horrific experience. To all you people who have donated money, time, experience and your love, I commend you. You have big hearts and when I see this love and energy going to the beasts of our world who can’t help themselves I cry inside with happiness that we are given the brains and heart to help. Thank you to all of you who gave from their hearts….especially to Paws and the pilot and crew, and to the doctors and staff who are now going to take over a very delicate job of giving Lad back what he lost. luv u all.

40. Thank-you PNP – you are truly angels with wings. I’ve been following Lads story and I hope we’ll be reading updates.

41. Linda Kester Hamilton 19. Mar, 2014 at 6:04 pm

I CANNOT THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR WHAT YOU DO, and helping Lad get to CA is pure awesomeness!!!!!!!

42. Janine Malone 19. Mar, 2014 at 7:45 pm

I hope the generosity of your group is returned to you 1000-fold. Thank you!

43. Thank you to everyone for all the love and concern shown to this beautiful animal. Lad’s story has touched the hearts of so many people, and we all rejoice and say THANKS for a splendid job well done!

44. Thank You for helping poor Lad !!!! Greetings from Germany, God bless You..

45. I was so heartbroken when I first learned what had happened to this beautiful soul that I was physically ill. All day I cried when I thought of Lad. I gathered donations at work during that day and delivered it to Blue Pearl that same afternoon which made me feel some better. I can’t begin to tell you how happy I was the next day when I heard Lad had an appointment in California at UC Davis and prayed fervently that a miracle would occur, and that a kind soul would step up to the plate to help him get there. Then I thought, of course, Pilots N Paws! Boy oh boy did my heart soar with joy when I saw the picture of him on the plane! My deep despair was replaced with such gratitude….well, I can’t put it into words. Thank you to everyone who made this happen! Thank you thank you thank you!!!!!

46. Evey Segal Stein 21. Mar, 2014 at 9:54 pm

I can’t begin to thank you wonderful people for making Lad’s journey to California a big success. What heart you have! I have followed and shared Lad’s story with all my collie and sheltie groups daily…..I am sure many tears have been shed! First for the suffering that this precious puppy endured and then for YOU….a miracle come through. Now it looks like Lad will be able to have some reconstruction of his jaw and lead a normal, happy and more comfortable life! A million thanks to Pilots N Paws!

47. I don’t have the eloquance to truly express my appreciation for both The Arrow Fund and Pilots and Paws. What you have done for Lad is wonderful.
    It amkes it easier for all in rescue to go on despite the horrible things seen when a story such as this comes out.