need help in Joliet, Il escaped dog from transport

A place for rescues to chat about rescue work, animals, transports etc.
plavine
Zip Code: 90067
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Airport identifier: LAX
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

need help in Joliet, Il escaped dog from transport

Post by plavine » Wed May 23, 2012 1:16 am

Additional Info/situation:Number of animals being transported: one lost dog - escaped transport
Breeds, weight, age: brittany 35 lbs liver and white
Health Condition: excellent
Heart worm Status: negative
Vaccinations: up to date
Health Certificate:y
Spay/Neutered: yes
Special needs: none
Name of Sending & Receiving Rescue/Parties: National Brittany Rescue & network
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Cathy 630.701.0507 or Susan 309.838.4176 [email protected]

Are you a 501c3: yes
Additional Info/situation: We have a brittany that was lost during a transport and is in joliet, il. he has been afraid of human contact for more than two months. He has been running in a fifty mile radius and is afraid of people -- even his former foster mom. we need ground or air help to locate and catch him. if you can help at all, please shoot an email or call anytime. we have few volunteers in Il and need help. please cross post and help us locate Finn and bring him home! Thank you so much for all you do!
Attachments
finn.jpg
Finn - lost boy
Last edited by plavine on Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ria221
Foster?: No

Re: need help in Joliet, Il escaped dog from transport

Post by ria221 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 8:58 pm

I'm nowhere near IL but a picture on this website of the dog would help.

plavine

Post by plavine » Sun Jun 03, 2012 1:54 pm

Done! Thanks for the advice. Please share with anyone you might know in IL.

ria221
Foster?: No

Post by ria221 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:05 pm

nice looking dog. he/she is probably near water. You probably tried all these already but: Put up posters in places where he's been spotted. He should be weak by now unless someone is leaving food out for him/her. If they are, tell them to stop doing it for a few days. He'll get hungry and come looking for food. Get a have-a-hart trap and put some cooked hamburger meat or chicken in it and check it a few times during the day and then again in the morning. (that's worked for us altho you do run the risk of gettting a skunk or other creature also). I would put the trap at the spot that he's been seen near the most. Put up a post on Craigslist under Lost n Found with phone number of someone who will always answer the phone and also his picture again. Contact all vets, animal Control areas, shelters in the area and leave his picture with them. Call police too. Sometimes the dog will go visit other dogs. Sometimes the dog will try to return to his last home also. Keep me posted on it. We've unfortunately had several dogs escape and we've always gotten them back. It's best not to chase him if he's spotted but to get down on all fours and one person call to him. I had one dog escape a transport. I spent several hours in the freezing cold trying to coax her out. Finally, I told the guy who had opened his car door because HE thought the dog wouldn't run and caused the whole escape to just stay where he was. I sat down on the cold ground and I had some chicken fingers that I cut up into small pieces. I called her and threw some pieces far from me. Then as she got closer, I threw them closer to me. No quick movements, no yelling. I talked nice to her for a bit and she finally came to me. (that made my day). I petted her and then I put the leash on her. She was so scared to come but didn't know where to go. She finally trusted me. Keep me posted on this dog. I hate when they're so scared and they run.
Last edited by ria221 on Wed Nov 07, 2012 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

plavine

Post by plavine » Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:44 pm

Our IL volunteers have been doing everything they can to find him. There have been sightings and police in the area are well aware of him. Our volunteers have been on the radio and television news. Finn is a hunting dog and has managed to evade people and feed himself. He is circling back the same area that he was fostered in and his original home. He does not want to be caught as people with food have come close several times and have been unable to coax him.

He is posted everywhere -- online and physical postings at pet stores, vet offices -- anywhere there is a bulletin board, they know about Finn. The problem is that Finn does not want to be caught -- he has been out for so long it is thought he is in a feral state now and there are not enough volunteers in the area to circle around to trap him. If you know anyone in the area (between Earlville and Joilet, IL), please call or email Cathy ([email protected]) and help in any way you are willing to. If there are any pilots out there willing to be eyes in the air, that would be extremely helpful. This poor boy has been on his own for over two months and his adopter is waiting to take him home. He's just frightened and needs help. I would be there searching, but I'm in Los Angeles and pretty helpless here so if there is anyone within 100 miles of Joilet, IL, please email Cathy if you can help.

Thanks for looking and for all you do.

Patti in California

plavine

Post by plavine » Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:35 am

Finn was found!