Mapping Options are down, NOT ANY MORE UPDATE GREAT NEWS!

READ THESE ANNOUNCEMENTS BEFORE USING RIDE BOARD
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Mapping Options are down, NOT ANY MORE UPDATE GREAT NEWS!

Post by admin » Tue Jun 11, 2013 6:49 pm

It is with great excitement that we share with our members that pilot Michael Green has developed new mapping option for our use and these maps are remarkable! As you know, our previous mapping options were on permanent overload which caused them to no longer function properly. Our wonderful pilot Steve Foley developed them years ago and with our growth, they just couldn't keep up so Mike developed new options for us.

There are two maps. One shows pilots, volunteers and fosters. There are specific icons that represent each. When you zoom in to the area you are checking, just click on the icon and it will show you for example how many miles that pilot is willing to fly, if the pilot is also willing to temp foster, and clicking on their username takes you directly to their profile page. From there, you can send an email to them through the forum board or send them a private message.

The second map is a line/route map showing all current transport requests for the past 30 days. Pilots, or others, can click on the line which gives you an option to go directly to the forum to view that specific request.

http://pilotsnpaws.org/maps/maps_trips.php

http://pilotsnpaws.org/maps/maps_volunteers.php

This is an incredible tool that will save everyone a lot of time and permit connections between pilots and volunteers in an efficient manner. We will also be placing an icon link on the upper right of each page of the forum that will be a direct link to the maps. Additionally, there will be a link placed on our actual Pilots N Paws website homepage under Pilot Tools for quick and easy access as well.

Please give a HUGE thanks to pilot Mike Green, Steve Foley, Carol Crawford(our forum board expert) and Matt Vaccaro who handles our PNP website. Great teamwork, we have the best volunteers and your dedication and help is greatly appreciated.

Admin

********************************************************************************************************************************************************
Everyone, we are aware that the mapping options are currently down. Our pilot/website volunteer has informed us that google maps is not recognizig or permitting the links for now. We have written to google help to ask why and if they are going to permit the use of the mapping options again but so far, no reply.

We are going to keep the mapping options up though and here is why. When you open the mapping options link there are other choices you can make to contact a pilot or a volunteer. Here are the steps on how to utilize that choice. For now, it's all we can offer, thank you for your patience, we are doing all we can!

1. Open your initial request on the Ride Board and click on mapping options under the subject/zip code line
2. Choose the list you require, i.e. list of pilots closest to sending point, list of volunteers closed to receiving point
3. This will bring up a username list. Copy what you need from that and go to the Members section. The members section is on the upper right of each page.
4. Click on the members option and then use the search feature. This will bring up the username and clicking on that name will take you directly to their profile page where you can send them an email or a private message.

We apologize for the inconvenience but it is out of our hands for now.

Admin

atrulli
Zip Code: 51455

Re: Mapping Options are down!

Post by atrulli » Sat Jun 15, 2013 12:21 am

Mapping seems to be BACK UP... and working... thank you so much...

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Jun 15, 2013 10:53 am

Acutally, it is only working some of the time and with some of the posts and we don't really know why--it's a google thing. We are working on trying to find a better way for mapping then the use of google but covering the entire US with all our volunteers is proving difficult. It's a good problem to have though!

At the very least, the list options under mapping options will still continue to work, it just doesn't show a map! Thank you for your continued patience.

Admin

atrulli
Zip Code: 51455

Post by atrulli » Tue Jun 18, 2013 3:58 pm

What I have found is if it doesn't come up, you have to put in a closer zip code... for it to bring up that area. It won't load if you are between two zip codes with a lot of pilots and volunteers. I was fine in upper Michigan to Wisconsin and Iowa... but when I put in for around the Chicago area -- it errored out. So, I did northern Michigan to South Bend, IN to get that area to come up... Then Joliet, IL to eastern Iowa loaded. Then a pilot Charlie from Green Bay, WI did me some maps in Skyvector and taught me how to figure out miles between airports... I was dependent on it to find pilots and volunteers.

mikegreen
Zip Code: 80204
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KBJC
Distance willing to fly one way: 75

Post by mikegreen » Mon Jul 22, 2013 2:37 pm

oops - just saw this never got updated.

the request map is back online here:
http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/phpbb-trips.php

complete with the ability to search by date of last thread activity, and south-bound trips show up in green, north show up purple.

regards,
Mike
---
Mike
part time forum, maps, and web server jockey with occasional flying

mikegreen

Post by mikegreen » Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:17 am

The maps page ones do seem down.

For now, you can see transports here:
http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/phpbb-trips.php

I'll get working on fixing the entire maps page... slipped off the radar.

I just emailed Steve to get the latest code.. and will post results here..
---
Mike

Batista

Re: Mapping Options are down, NOT ANY MORE UPDATE GREAT NEWS

Post by Batista » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:56 am

Does the volunteer map work on Mac's Safari? I'm able to see the one with the trips, but not the one with the volunteers.

stonera10

Post by stonera10 » Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:48 am

I noticed same problem on Volunteer map with my iPad mini....it "crashes" Safari when I try to open the map.

mikegreen

Post by mikegreen » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:23 pm

It seems there is a bug with some safari versions... looking into it on Monday..
---
Mike

janet cryer anderson

Post by janet cryer anderson » Sun Oct 27, 2013 5:15 pm

is the mapping option to locate pilots in an area back down or is it just me and i may have missed a post about it :( i got to MS then the map wouldnt work when i went back to it friday .. thanks Janet