What is required for dogs to travel?

A place for rescues to chat about rescue work, animals, transports etc.
heylo

What is required for dogs to travel?

Post by heylo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:13 pm

New to this and have a question. I searched several of the boards, but didn't notice the answer.... I am sorry if I missed it.

What is required of the dogs to be transported?
Shot records? I have those. I just need to make sure nothing else is required for this.

Currently trying to get 3 small dogs from Arkansas to Cali. Posted on other board... you can search my postings to find if interested. :)

Thank you!

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: What is required for dogs to travel?

Post by admin » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:37 pm

Hi there,

We do have suggested Guidelines listed under the guideline section for both rescue volunteers and pilots:

http://pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=4

There is a link there to follow and see what is required by each state for transport. In most cases, a recent original proof of vaccines and a healt certificate are normally what is asked for but best to check with your veterinarian.

Many of the pilots have their own crates and if not, we have them available if they will contact me directly with the dimensions of the space in their plane. Every plane is different and will likely require a different crate. These have to be shipped UPS so advance notice is needed. We have had rescues and shelters send their animals in crates but please check with the pilots first to see what size. If the crate is a tad small, most animals tolerate it just fine for these shorter trips--they normally curl in a ball and go to sleep anyway. For the larger animals, a harness tethered to the backseat if often used. You can purchase a special travel harness at Petsmart, etc. If you dog is a chewer, some pilots are suggesting that a stronger tether be used for the flight so check with the pilot. They are in charge :-)

I would not feed the animal the morning of the flight, water is fine, and walk them very well before boarding. Please share with the pilot the temperament and any possible quirks your animal may have. Communication with the pilot you are working with is key.

Everyone wants this to be a positive experience for all and thank you for asking for others opinions. Hopefully, someone else will chime in as well.....

Debi

Dawn817

Post by Dawn817 » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:08 am

admin wrote: Many of the pilots have their own crates and if not, we have them available if they will contact me directly with the dimensions of the space in their plane. Every plane is different and will likely require a different crate. These have to be shipped UPS so advance notice is needed.
Is every pilot that volunteers through your site eligible to obtain a crate from you? The rescue cannot send the crate the dog is already in with him because they need it for the dog they have coming in once he leaves.

Doing all the legwork to arrange the transport has already become quite time consuming and it does not appear that I will be getting assistance from the rescue any time soon, which is disappointing, so any assitance I can obtain is greatly appreciated.

Jon

Post by Jon » Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:17 am

Dawn,

We can supply crates within limits. Whatever funds we receive in the form of donations go to our day to day expenses, legal expenses, and whatever is left is available to purchase crates. Almost all pilots prefer to buy their own crates because airplanes are different and what may work in one plane may not be the best crate for another plane.

The effort to get started with aviation rescues is much greater than doing subsequent ones. As rescues and pilots begin working together it starts a learning process that over time results in most rescues being set up with a single post and an email or two. The key is in forming relationships where all involved learn how to work together such as the size and capability of the plane, the rescue's preference for type of animals, airports ot use, best days to do a rescue, etc.