Rescues needing help from pilots - PLEASE read

A place for rescues to chat about rescue work, animals, transports etc.
MuttsMom

Rescues needing help from pilots - PLEASE read

Post by MuttsMom » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:38 pm

We recently had 2 awesome pilots from PNP offer to help transport 2 Border Collie mixes from AL - NJ. The pilot out of Atlanta was finally able to fly to AL to pick the pups up. The first attempts were delayed due to weather that wasn't safe for him to fly in. He was going to fly them into NC and transfer them over to another pilot who was going to fly them to NJ.

Fortunately, we had a foster home in SC that was on standby in case plans had to be changed due to weather, or the pilot had something unexpected come up. Thank God we did!

Because of the weather delays, the 2nd pilot wasn't able to do the 2nd leg today due to prior commitments. However, he is able to pick the dogs up dogs on Tues. and take them to their final rescue destination. We are grateful so for that!

PLEASE, for the sake of the animals and the pilots, make sure you have foster homes available along the flight plan in case an emergency arrives. Without the foster home on standby we either wouldn't have been able to get the dogs to rescue, or the pilot would have flown into NC with no place for the dogs to go. This obviously wouldn't be fair in any form of the imagination to the pilot. He would never have abandoned the dogs but a back up plan was needed. PLEASE, anytime you have more then 1 pilot involved in a flight, I can't stress the importance of having a back up plan, and a place for them to go incase of delays. This can happen as we saw with this transport. No one can make the weather cooperate.

Thanks again to all the "sky angels" that help get these precious furbabies to safety. If not for them, MANY would die in kill shelters.

Nancy

Kimberley Muse Lange

Re: Rescues needing help from pilots - PLEASE read

Post by Kimberley Muse Lange » Sat Jan 10, 2009 4:35 pm

MuttsMom, I am in the process of planning to try and get a cocker from TN to MI I may need 3 pilots for this trip.I need to know how you found foster parents in case some thing goes wrong?Thanks Kim

Steve Foley
Webmaster
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Steve Foley » Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:32 pm

Kimberley Muse Lange wrote:MuttsMom, I am in the process of planning to try and get a cocker from TN to MI I may need 3 pilots for this trip.I need to know how you found foster parents in case some thing goes wrong?Thanks Kim
Check the main www.pilotsnpaws.org page. There is now a map showing foster volunteers.

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Sat May 30, 2009 1:06 pm

I just saw this post...... DUH is an understatement. For anyone else who reads this and has the same question, besides Steve's great suggestion, I was able to find people in border collie rescue that were close to the flight path. A lot of times if they are going to a rescue, you can find others that foster, to offer to help out another rescue when it's typically short term, if even needed, but they are available if something happens.