Rescueing from a shelter but I live out of state...

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
Gittieupmel
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Rescueing from a shelter but I live out of state...

Post by Gittieupmel » Tue Sep 18, 2012 8:30 pm

I was looking into rescueing a dog from texas but I live in omaha and I know we usually need someone to go get it from the shelter does anyone do that or how would it work? I just really want to help a dog or two and save them from being put down but I just dont know if ill be able to if I neex to be there to pick it/ them up. We live in omaha nebraska and always see postings like save this dog it has a day left along with a bumch of other dogs so if its spur of the moment and if I dont know much about the dog would I still be able to get help and save it? And since im not a rescue doea that make it impossible? I just dont want to be helpless I want to help save a few lives and see them be happy until its their time to chose to leave us not the other way around.

Melody

RachelleJane

Re: Rescueing from a shelter but I live out of state...

Post by RachelleJane » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:35 pm

I am in the exact same boat trying to adopt from California except I am from Canada. if i cant be there to pick up the dogs from the shelter can they still be transported? that is why i am trying to figure something out on this forum because i cant be there and need the transportation service so the animals can be somewhere where i can manage to travel!! let me know if you get any answers.

Gittieupmel
Foster?: Yes

Post by Gittieupmel » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:24 pm

I will I hope someone can amswer us because I hate having to know all the poor doggies are getting put down.

Melody

RachelleJane

Post by RachelleJane » Fri Sep 21, 2012 6:54 pm

Thanks melody, I try to keep in contact with how the dogs are doing and keep hearing about how they only have a short period of time left before they get euthanized and I feel so helpless! I feel like if any of those dogs have a home anywhere that the shelter should try to work with that person for the best interest of the dog but thats not the case at all. I just wish there were more resources out there for us people wanting to help dogs that need it! So frustrating!

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Post by deeogee1 » Tue Sep 25, 2012 8:39 pm

Hello ladies,
Many shelters have volunteers who help with these type of things. You need to contact the shelter when you see a dog you want to adopt. There are a lot of details & costs involved in adopting from another state though. You would need to find boarding & get vetting done. All transports require the animals have health certificates, it is law. Even rescues have times when they can't find transport right away & need to use boarding.
If you have a local rescue you can work with, it might be easier. And remember, there's always pets needing homes closer to you. Have you checked your local shelters? Good luck

Joanne