2 Advisors here to help

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: 3 Advisors here to help

Post by admin » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:36 pm

Sue,

Yes, Petmate provides crates for our pilots to use and I have just a couple left from this shipment. If you will please ask the pilot to contact me at [email protected] so we can discuss what size/s would best fit in the plane I will measure the ones I have here and see what to send on.

Thanks for all you do.
Debi

suzy
Zip Code: 29860

Post by suzy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:33 pm

Hi Sue,
Debi can be contacted at [email protected], but the pilots have to ask for the crates. They are donated by PetMate and Debi sends them directly to the pilots, so she needs their mailing addresses. So you should give this information to your pilots. I hope there is enough time before your trip.
Good luck,
Suzy

Lisa Vittori

Post by Lisa Vittori » Sun May 01, 2011 11:08 pm

Hi, 3 Advisors.

I'm new to your site, but was referred by others in the rescue community, particularly the San Francisco shelter. Apparently you worked with them to transport a load of small dogs across country.

I usually do rescue work regionally in the San Francisco Bay area, when one or another group asks for my assistance. However, now I have to find help with a family member's dog in Indianapolis, an older black lab originally acquired from Black Lab Rescue. He's a sweet guy, but stressed. He's been in trouble, nipping people at the property line. His family (2 adults and 4 kids) is too busy and stressed to exercise him enough, and the fights about what to do with him are tearing the family apart. They have to find him another home soon, and if they don't, he will be euthanized. He's also lame in his two back legs, and needs a home without active children jumping on him.

I've had a lot of foster dogs like him, who adapt quickly when they have regular exercise and a quiet home. So, I've agreed to take him. He'll get plenty of exercise here, and a lot more socialization and consistency than he's getting now. However, we are struggling to find a compassionate way to get him here. My sister-in-law can accompany him, but we don't want to fly him via commercial airline.

Since one of your advisors is from Indianapolis, I'm writing to you to get advice. My sister-in-law will also be signing up on this site, to see if we can make a match.

I'm working on an off-leash campaign that will wind down at the end of May, so we were hoping to move him then. Can you suggest how we can go about this? I get the impression that a 2,000 mile trip requires a lot of coordination.

Thank you so much for your work. Lisa Vittori

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Post by deeogee1 » Wed May 04, 2011 8:47 pm

Hi Lisa,
I'm the one here in Indy. It's true that 2000 mi is a nightmare of coordination. Hopefully I can offer several ideas.

1) You may be in luck if you can hold off for 3 weeks!!! See the pilot offer listed here:
http://pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11615

2) There is a cross-country trucker who travels between NJ & CO who has taken pets with him. He picks up in Indy. But given the dog's leg issues, that may not be a good option.
So the next option might be to arrange a pilot or two between Indy & Kansas City. There is a Denver group http://www.caretransport.org/ who does ground transport between KC & Denver for a minimal fee. That leaves a much shorter distance to get pilots to finish the transport.

3) Slightly more costly, but awesome commercial transport for dogs is http://www.petairways.com/ Their destinations are limited~~ but they have Chicago & LA terminals. Designed to only transports pets, it would be first class for your guy.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Joanne

Flowers

Post by Flowers » Thu May 19, 2011 3:22 pm

I am new to this wonderful process, and could use help with the mapping pilots option at the top of my post, that goes to google maps. The map shows the pilots on the left and check marks thier names for me, but then I dont know where to go from there to insert those into an email to the selected pilots to make the request to them though a message. I have tried to figgure it out but I cant.

Can anyone direct me? I am requesting a flight for a small heeler mix rescue pup from Abbeville Lousiana to Seattle Washington area for just as soon as possible...

Thank you!
Karen

suzy

Post by suzy » Thu May 19, 2011 6:11 pm

Hi Karen,
Welcome to PNP! I'm going to attach a step-by-step outline for coordinating trips in case you need it. But if you will click on the user name of the pilot on the left, it will bring up a bubble over the map that gives the link to that pilot's information. The first line says something like "click here to view user's profile" When you do that, it will bring up the pilot's profile page and if you look towards the bottom left, you will see where to click to send the pilot an e-mail. Then it will bring up a box for you to type the subject line and the message. PNP will send it out to the pilot. And you just repeat this process for each one. (Tip: Do a lot of copying and pasting.)

Don't forget to check out the attachment. Let us know if you have any further questions.
Best of luck,
Suzy
Attachments
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PNP POSTINGS.doc
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 156 times

Flowers

Post by Flowers » Thu May 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Thank you, I thought I was missing some tech feature! :-) So now I cut and paste :-)

I appreciate it!

Karen

Flowers

finding flight legs

Post by Flowers » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:40 pm

Hi al, I am wondering what the best way to find remainding transport legs. I posted @ heeler needing a flight from Abbeville, LA to Seattle and found a volenteer pilot as far as Denver on June 7th, but nothing has come up from Denver the Denver area .. up towards Seattle... is there a suggestion you might have?

Help!
Karen

suzy

Post by suzy » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:20 pm

Hi Karen,
Start sending e-mails to the pilots listed on the pilot map from Denver to Seattle. Have you gone to the mapping options and found the map with the pilots' profiles listed where you can e-mail them? I'm attaching a step-by-step guide in case you need it.

Another temporary plan might be to see if any of the volunteers in the Denver area might offer temporary fostering until you can get the other legs of the flight arranged. Click on the mapping option for volunteers to find them.

Good luck,
Suzy
Attachments
INSTRUCTIONS FOR PNP POSTINGS.doc
(30.5 KiB) Downloaded 161 times

Flowers

Post by Flowers » Sat Jun 04, 2011 12:00 am

Yes,I have messaged them but nothing so far. Thank you.

Karen