FYI March11 MISSING PILOT Joe Radford - Grand Canyon Village

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
GetMeTherePlease

FYI March11 MISSING PILOT Joe Radford - Grand Canyon Village

Post by GetMeTherePlease » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:28 pm

Hi PNP Pilots below is very sad news I am not sure if any of you know Joe Radford or have worked with him, but the news below is very sad. I do hope he is safe and is found safe. Please if your in the area that he is missing and able to help there are numbers below this is feared by all of you I am sure and by those of us that ask you all everyday to assist in our rescue efforts. I pray every time when a pilot assists me with a transport that they make it safely to and from their mission.

Please read the below if there is any help you can offer that would be great, even if only in prayer.

The Pilots Prayer

Lord of Air and the Earth,
You made the whole world with creatures of the seas, earth and skies.
After the great flood you made a bird the first witness of the new order;
You have shown us your Spirit on wings of dove:
I ask you to bless me as I take off to the skies.
Make me a humble pilot, who marvels at the beauty of your creation;
Save me from turbulences of the air and my spirit,
Give me strength and full control over the plane,
send your peace to the hearts and minds of all traffic controllers,
show me your path in my life,
and lead me safely to the runway,
so that I could praise you safely back on earth.
I make this prayer through Christ our Lord.
Amen.
Our Lady of the Skies—pray for me.

Cheryl
Roads of Hope
http://www.roadsofhope.org

The National Park Service and the Coconino County Sheriff's Office are searching for a missing airplane that was last seen at the Grand Canyon Airport on Friday, March 11.
A pilot flying over the canyon called the airport after detecting an emergency locator transmitter about 30 miles northwest of the Grand Canyon Village in a remote region of the park. The airport then notified the NPS, which immediately deployed a helicopter to investigate. When the helicopter pilot found no evidence of an aircraft crash or an emergency beacon, the NPS called off its search because they had no notice of a missing plane.

On Monday, the family of 47-year-old Joseph Radford, of Glendale, called the Glendale Police Department to report that he was overdue. The Coconino County Sheriff's Office was then contacted and began an investigation into his whereabouts. They were able to determine that Radford had taken off from the Glendale Municipal Airport at 6:30 a.m. on March 11 and flew to the Grand Canyon Airport in Tusayan, where he stopped to refuel and took off again at around 8:30 a.m.
On Monday, the NPS redeployed a helicopter and plane into the area around Scorpion Ridge, in the Dragon Corridor, which was Radford's last known location over the park. The aircraft flew search patterns in both the Fossil Corridor and Scorpion Ridge areas on Tuesday and again expanded their operations on Wednesday. The sheriff's office has also been contacting backpackers known to have been in the area to see if anyone heard or saw the aircraft.

According to a media release on Wednesday, the total search area now encompasses more than 600 square miles of the park. Search and rescue has yet to find any sign of Radford or the missing plane. Park service officials said the area is too remote to make a foot search reasonable at this point.

"It's an extremely backcountry area and we have no indication in terms of vertical relief where this plane went down -- or even if this plane went down," said Shannon Marcak, spokesperson for the Grand Canyon. She also said that search and rescue had yet to locate the emergency beacon that was first detected by a private aircraft pilot on Sunday.

As of Wednesday evening, the NPS said it was unclear if aerial search and rescue operations could continue on Thursday due to deteriorating weather conditions.

Radford is described as a white male, with blue eyes, graying hair and a receding hairline. He is 5'11" tall and weighs approximately 190 pounds. His plane is described as an RV6 Kit Built, cherry red airplane with tail number N650RV.

Anybody who has seen Radford or his aircraft since Friday at 8:30 a.m., is asked to contact the National Park Service at (928) 638-7805.

Eric Betz can be reached at [email protected] or 556-2250.
Last edited by GetMeTherePlease on Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:35 am, edited 5 times in total.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: FYI March 1MISSING PILOT Joe Radford - Grand Canyon Vill

Post by admin » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:30 pm

Everyone,

I am hopeful that Joe and his plane will be found. He is a wonderful individual with a huge heart and a remendous love for animals. I had the pleasure of meeting Joe when in came to S.C. for the first Pilots N Paws flyin and admire his passion for what we do. To my knowledge, he was not on a rescue flight.

Because he has not been seen since last Friday, they are assuming the pinging that was heard could have been from his plane. Cheryl has listed the contact information. If anyone is in a position to volunteer and is used to flying in mountain conditions please contact the local sheriffs department or the National Park Service at 928-638-7805.

We are keeping you in our prayers Joe!!

Debi
Attachments
27067_1298013262786_1604035102_30742075_2034200_nSevenJoeCockpit.jpg
Joe and rescue pup

stars2chase
Zip Code: 85027

Post by stars2chase » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:31 am

This is horrible news. I was in communication by email with Pilot Joe over the last two weeks. Amazing Aussies is praying and thinking good thoughts that Joe will be found safe. He is an incredibly nice man that loves animals and life. We are located in Arizona and Joe has transported for us in the past. We had just invited him to join us in May for a reunion with Grace and Baron. Please join in to search for Pilot Joe.
Attachments
gracie and baron 009.jpg
Pilot Joe in Glendale, AZ Amazing Aussie Rescue

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Post by deeogee1 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:24 pm

Prayers going out for Joe & his family. Please let him be safe & found soon. Miracles do happen.

lizsyring

Re: FYI March11 MISSING PILOT Joe Radford - Grand Canyon Vil

Post by lizsyring » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:25 pm

Those of us at Doodle Rescue Collective are devastated over the news of our dear friend Joe Radford being missing. He helped our rescue labradoodles and then later became our friend. He is a selfless man who loves to help the homeless animals. We are hoping and praying for you, Joe.

Liza007
Zip Code: 02563
Airport identifier: 2B1

Post by Liza007 » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:03 am

I am so sad that there has been no word. I keep hoping and praying that Joe is found. He has been instrumental in helping so many find second chances. I feel at such a loss as I sit here across the country wishing I could get out there and help find him. Those of us with German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue owe him so much
Attachments
38423_426307883128_720128128_4807259_4990020_n.jpg

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Sun Mar 20, 2011 8:59 pm

Prayers being sent from everyone in rescue to Joe and his family, and he is found and is o.k. The article from National Dogs/Examiner.com has been sent through out the rescue community on FB and also passed along to another rescue friend who has a large rescue/rescuer Address Book for crossposting. Miracles do happen and I pray this is one of them and we'll hear good news.

Border Collie Rescue
Good ole Mutt Rescue

BaldwinParkdogs

Post by BaldwinParkdogs » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:41 am

This is horrible news. Joe was such a huge help to all of us - here is a video of Joe saving a 17 year old Chow Chow abandoned at the Baldwin Park shelter http://www.youtube.com/user/baldwinpark ... i67Z4OQu4Q

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:27 pm

Have they found anything or what is the latest report from the news or the airport? I know a pilot got a signal saying he was in trouble but didn't see anything flying over the area nor saw any signs of the emergency beacon.

Troopersmom

Post by Troopersmom » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:41 pm

Many prayers to Joe and his family.