Are you a rescue in need of small dogs?

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
jeddle

Are you a rescue in need of small dogs?

Post by jeddle » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:10 am

We are a small rescue in a small West Texas town. We get wonderful small dogs that are very adoptable, but our adopting public is limited. If anyone needs small dogs to offer in their area, please let us know. We would like to start using PNP to enable us to save more dogs. If we can move some to reputable rescues that have good turnover, it would allow us to keep taking the dogs that we sometimes have to turn down because of space and slow turnover.
Jo Ann
www.HumaneSocietyCC.com

LisaABragg
Zip Code: 52241
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Are you a rescue in need of small dogs?

Post by LisaABragg » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:57 am

JoAnn,
Interesting Idea. Would you trade for a big dog? My shelter can move little dogs pretty fast, but get stuck with the bigger ones. Swapping dogs would be an interesting idea.

Sorry, That should have been a PM. JoAnn, PM me instead.

Lisa Bragg
Houston TX

jeddle

Re: Are you a rescue in need of small dogs?

Post by jeddle » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:05 am

Thanks for your interest. I will bring this up with my board. I can't say that we can move big dogs much faster than we can move small dogs except for some breeds like Pyr, Blue Lacy, hounds, anatolians, etc. However, we do not place the dogs as working dogs which limits us even with those breeds. Labradors and lab mixes are practically impossible to place. We do not accept Pits or Pit mixes.

That being said, we are still interested in transporting our small dogs to rescues that have a faster turnover. These dogs would normally be neutered and have rabies shot, canine disease shot and wormer. Our vet costs in our area are minimal compared to big city costs, plus we have a very successful thrift store operation that subsidizes our programs.