Question about Liability Insurance

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
Steve Foley
Webmaster
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Question about Liability Insurance

Post by Steve Foley » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:53 am

I was looking at another private airplane/rescue organization. They require a copy of my liability insurance policy.

Why?

In the past, I've been the victim of identity theft and insurance fraud. I do not give out personal information unless it's absolutely necessary. Nobody gets my SS number, unless they are required to report to the IRS.

My wife's handbag was stolen. The thief made a fake ID stating he was me, at my address, and proceeded to write checks on my (closed) account. Clearing it up cost me a few thousand dollars.

A few years ago, someone cut in front of me and locked up his brakes. I didn't stop in time, and hit him. The only damage was a broken tail-light, yet this guy sured me for $25,000. I believe this amount is the required amount in Massachusetts.

I am well aware of what someone can do with just a little bit of information.

The last thing I want to do is provide information about my insurance limits to someone I don't know. I have no reason to believe that anyone in that organization is dishonest. Unfortunately, it would be way too easy for someone to check my insurance limits, pick me as a mark, set up a rescue, and file a lawsuit.

I am sure the guy who sued me would find a way to hurt his back helping me load a dog into my plane.

Any thoughts?

Jon

Re: Question about Liability Insurance

Post by Jon » Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:19 am

Steve, good post and it goes to the heart of why there is a PilotsnPaws. A while back I tried to see if I could help and contacted a number of animal transport organizations about volunteering. They not only wanted copies of my insurance poilicy they wanted waivers and all sorts of information. It was clear that it was going to be very cumbersome just to volunteer my time and plane.

When Deb and I decided to try to reach pilots willing to help transport animals we did not want any pilot to have to provide anything but the use of his aircraft and time. We as pilots and aircraft owners have enough regulations and requirements. There is a huge problem in finding ways to transport animals in need. If a pilot is willing to go to the time, effort and expense to do that the only thing we want him to do is accept our sincere thanks.

We do not want to coordinate his flight, schedule his flight, dictate what ratings he needs, verify if he has insurance, or even interfere. We want the rescue pilots to deal directly with the folks involved with the rescue, and to set up their own schedules and to form their own relationships. The purpose of this site is to have a common place for all involved to ask questions, communicate, outline their needs, volunteer their services or just chat about animal rescues and transports.

It takes a while for rescues, shelters and fosters to understand what they need to know about aviation unless they have had some experience with an aviation transport already, and I leave that up to the pilots to help explain things such as the regulations we must adhere to, the licenses and ratings, currency, weight and balance, limits, etc. We do not have to show copies of our insurance policy or driver's license.

If we as members of this forum can help with advice, cages, security straps, or even setting up a transfer or overnight for special flights that is a good role for pilotsnpaws, but we do not want to ask a thing of you other than for your help.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes

Post by admin » Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:44 pm

Steve,

I am aware of the other group and am also surprised at what is required. Pilots-N-Paws "is" just a group of folks with a common goal. It is not dictated by rules, regulations, etc., it is a place where people who have animals who need transport can ask a pilot for help or a pilot can offer to help. Plain, simple, and all coordinating is done solely between the pilot and the rescue agent he chooses to work with.

Identity theft is real, and I would caution anyone with regards to giving out private insurance information, driver's license, etc. This forum is meant to be self-run by the people who choose to volunteer their time and their resources. Those of us on the rescue side thank you and others for your generous offers of help. Good question and hope we answered it for you!

Have any ideas on how to let more pilots know about us?

Debi

Steve Foley
Webmaster
Foster?: No

Post by Steve Foley » Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:54 pm

Jon & Debi, thanks for the feedback.

I was somewhat taken back by the other board's requirements, which is why I wrote.

I spend lots of time thinking up excuses to go flying, and this seems to be a really good one. So long as it remains casual, I think it will do well.

As far as finding more pilots goes, I'll mention this site to other pilots, and maybe add something in my sig line for usenet and pilotsofamerica. It may not go over well you you go either of those places to announce yourself. Many people may consider it spam.