where to get harnesses to click into seatbelt in back seat

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
atrulli
Zip Code: 51455
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

where to get harnesses to click into seatbelt in back seat

Post by atrulli » Tue May 27, 2014 12:48 am

Paul offered to fly a couple adult bloodhounds this Sunday - June 1st for Riverside Bloodhound Rescue located in Elizabeth, PA. They tried to place an extra large crate in the backseat, it will not fit. I know many pilots have used these harnesses in the past, but where do you buy them at and what are the size options. These boys weigh a 100 pounds a piece, if not 105 pounds. They are sweet boys... will cuddle up as they are brothers. My understanding is they have a way to click the harness to the seat belt. If anyone knows, I would greatly appreciate it as I need to get two ordered ASAP. Thank you so much. Ann T email address is
Last edited by atrulli on Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ladyflier
Zip Code: 94571
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: O88
Distance willing to fly one way: 100

Re: where to get harnesses to click into seatbelt in back se

Post by Ladyflier » Tue May 27, 2014 11:52 am

PNP might give you a harness. But, I had a GSD pull hard and it broke. Haven't asked for a replacement yet. If you want to buy one, they are for sale on Amazon.
Sue Clark
Rio Vista, Ca.
[email protected]
Pilot transporter/Rescue coordinator
925 997-4778 txt ok

AggieMike88
Zip Code: 76205
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: KDTO

Post by AggieMike88 » Tue May 27, 2014 12:15 pm

for medium to larger dogs that I plan to ride in the back seat, I typically shorten up the rear seat belts to a very short length, and then pass the belts through the side strap of the harness and click the belt shut.

This still gives them room enough to sit up or shift positions, but yet short enough that they can't come join me in the front seat.

Most medium to large dogs are pretty good travelers. Have a volunteer take them for a 20 minute walk or a 10 minute run to burn off some energy and they will load up and travel well.

Best of luck to you!!! And take lots of photos!!!
Mike Farlow
Denton, TX (KDTO), North of D/FW.
1975 Cessna 182P - Aircraft is group owned & I'll need to work within the needs of other club member's schedules
Usually only available weekends, some weeknights are possible for shorter flights.

atrulli

Post by atrulli » Tue May 27, 2014 5:40 pm

Thank you everyone.. The seatbelt going thru the harness is perfect... I was thinking they had a clasp on them. This is doable. Again, Thanks.

airknocker

Post by airknocker » Thu May 29, 2014 11:35 am

AggieMike88: If you pull the seatbelt up SHORT and put it thru the large dog's harness, won't he be pulled down almost to the seat? If, for instance, an adult Bloodhound is sitting up, you need the belt extended 18 inches or so. My problem is with your using the term short. I'm thinking it should be extended to about that required for an adult person. I realize it is a relative term, but I imagined that you meant having it almost flat against the seat. Please confirm that you meant loosening it to maybe 18 inches. It is really an innovative and creative solution, not requiring any other harness except the one on the dog, and I really want to understand you completely. Thanks.

AggieMike88
Zip Code: 76205
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: KDTO

Post by AggieMike88 » Thu May 29, 2014 1:55 pm

Okay. Close to the shortest. Do what makes sense

Or search the pet supply websites for harnesses that are for riding in the car. Several models can be found that interact with automobile restraint systems. Those should work with most GA aircraft.
Mike Farlow
Denton, TX (KDTO), North of D/FW.
1975 Cessna 182P - Aircraft is group owned & I'll need to work within the needs of other club member's schedules
Usually only available weekends, some weeknights are possible for shorter flights.

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 29, 2014 6:46 pm

Pilots, thank you for your dedication to moving these animals, you are PNP and we appreciate your choice to volunteer with us!

Every quarter we have a limited number of auto-safety seatbelt harnesses, size Large, that we can ship to pilots who need them. We also have a few seatbelt clips that clip into your seatbelt holder and then onto the harness. Send an email to [email protected] with your shipping address.

Thanks!

atrulli

Post by atrulli » Sun Jun 08, 2014 5:24 pm

Paul on transporting Hank and Jake, Dr. Marybeth Cline has two ex- large harnesses,they have a slot where the seat belt goes thru them. You can have them. On the younger bloodhounds, the large would work. She can help you clip them in, so they have enough room to turn, but not enough room to attempt to co-pilot. :) Thank you so much guys/gals for all you do...

mikegreen
Zip Code: 80204
Airport identifier: KBJC
Distance willing to fly one way: 75

Post by mikegreen » Wed Jun 11, 2014 1:45 pm

I have a seat-belt clip harness from amazon, but it was $25 or so.. Too much to keep one in the plane and car and all..

What kind of plane? In my 182, there are tie-down-rings in the baggage compartment.. What I do is this:
6' leash onto the dog collar or harness (if no harness and they look pully, I do a larger leash around their stomach behind their legs and click the leash onto both - never fails and isnt uncomfortable until they pull..), then make a few knots in the leash to make it 8-12" shorter.
Then, a d-ring/carabiner onto the leash handle side, over the seat back, and clipped into the floor d-ring.

Alternatively, in a 172, shorten the leash a touch more and carabiner it to the seatbelt attachment as you can loop it into the seatbelt fabric there.
Or, go thru the seatback/bottom as mentioned already works if want to make sure the dog cant jump into the back.. But I've never had that happen.

I carry at least 5 carabiners of cheap walmart variety to clip dogs inside and outside the plan..
---
Mike
part time forum, maps, and web server jockey with occasional flying