Questions before my first transport

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
mhoward
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Questions before my first transport

Post by mhoward » Thu Jun 12, 2014 4:14 pm

I see in the pictures that most of the dogs have ear muffs on for the noise. Is this a requirement? Also, do the dogs have to be in a kennel or can they just sit on the back seat? Anything else I should know before my first transport?

Thanks in advance for your help

cardrac2000
Airport identifier: 40XS
Distance willing to fly one way: 100

Re: Questions before my first transport

Post by cardrac2000 » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:06 pm

I would guess the opposite is the case - most dogs do not have ear muffs on for the noise. I have never used them for transport flights, and they are definitely not a requirement. It is completely your choice of whether you kennel the dogs or have them sit on a seat. I would highly recommend that if you do have them on a seat to tether them to something - a tie-down, seatbelt, etc. This will make it much more difficult for them to come act as your copilot. I have found that 4-legged creatures aren't so much help up front. I like the harnesses for this as opposed to just collars, but that's up to you as well. Also, be sure to put down towels or something else to protect the interior if any passengers have an accident in flight.

I usually ask whoever will be bringing the animals to not feed them in the morning if an early flight and only a little food in the morning if a pm flight and to limit water intake to what is safe/healthy for the passengers. They can't go without water, but they don't need to drink a whole bowl before taking off either. Be sure to walk anyone between flights and offer a little bit of water. It gives them a chance to stretch their legs and do any necessary business.

Welcome to the organization, and thanks for being a part of the solution.
Tanya
40XS, RV-9A

mhoward

Post by mhoward » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:42 pm

Very helpful. Thanks much

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No

Post by admin » Thu Jun 12, 2014 5:50 pm

Welcome to PNP! Here is a link on our forum board that will hopefully answer many of your questions and give you a good idea of what to expect during your transports. It will also share insight as far as the questions you should ask the sending and receiving rescues prior to transport.

http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/faq.php?mode=pilot

As a reminder to everyone, it's important to read the FAQ sections that are listed in the top right corner of every page on this forum board. The plane icon is for the pilots, the life ring is for the rescues and then there is a general FAQ regarding the use of the forum. I encourage everyone to read all three sections.

Thanks to all for joining our mission!

mikegreen
Zip Code: 80204
Airport identifier: KBJC
Distance willing to fly one way: 75

Post by mikegreen » Thu Jun 12, 2014 7:19 pm

I concur with the first reply.. Never used muffs on them. My dog takes them off - didnt like them.

Check my post about lashing to the backseat here - http://www.pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewto ... 60#p108018

and welcome!
---
Mike
part time forum, maps, and web server jockey with occasional flying

Ladyflier
Zip Code: 94571
Airport identifier: O88
Distance willing to fly one way: 100

Post by Ladyflier » Thu Jun 19, 2014 1:02 am

Put that dog in the front seat, give him a headset and instruct him to bark whenever any other airplanes get too close!!!!
Sue Clark
Rio Vista, Ca.
[email protected]
Pilot transporter/Rescue coordinator
925 997-4778 txt ok