National Dog Rescue DataBase

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
smokey'smom

National Dog Rescue DataBase

Post by smokey'smom » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:18 pm

Hello, I am a Best Friends Member and a volunteer with Atlanta Dog Squad. I have been trying to find a national database clearing house and without success. Starting in the South, I am contacting rescues, and everyone that helps rescues as I'm trying to build a national database clearinghouse to share info etc, especially to get Southern animals from kill Shelters transport to the Northern states that are no or low kill.

Please share with anyone you can think of and please give me any input/info you have.

After I got interested in Best Friends and Dog Rescue after Hurricane Katrina, I started saving all the dog related rescue websites and I'm using this as the basis of my database.

I think one thing that happens in the rescue world is that there are some many groups, and so many are struggling just to save the dogs, that they don't have enough time to network.

For example, after we rescued our Flat coated retriever, Smokey, I became aware of Operation Roger. They are a group of truckers that will transport rescued dogs to shelters, groups, or individual homes in other states. http://www.operationroger.rescuegroups.org

I come from Massachusetts originally and Mass and the rest of New England is very low kill and high spay and neuter so I was shocked at the kill rate here in the South.

What I want to do is try to work on a national database and then start doing mailings to groups so that small rescues in the South can be aware of all the potential resources they might not know they have to try, like pulling dogs from kill shelters and getting them transport to the North East.

Thank you,
Smokey's Mom

glacier

Re: National Dog Rescue DataBase

Post by glacier » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:36 am

Hi Smokey's Mom,

I don't know if there is a National Database, but there are National Transport Co-Ordinators. I'm in Idaho and have done ground transports coming through my area and overnight fostering. The gal that arranges these transports is: Cheryl Kaminski in Austin, Texas Cheryl also posts on PNP's. Her email is: [email protected] I would email Cheryl and see what she says about a database. There are other National Co-Ordinators. Good Luck to you and thank you for all that you do. Hugs to you and all of the furkids. Lynn in Idaho ([email protected])

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by admin » Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:13 am

Hi Smokey's Mom!

This is an admirable undertaking you are doing and something we have needed for a long time. Best Friends ahs been a very good friend to Pilots N Paws, writing an article about us early on when rescues new very little about us.

There are numerous rescues, large and small, in every state as you know. Some are breed specific, others take all breeds and then some. Having worked as an intake cooridnator for our Doberman rescue group (Doberman Assistance Network) I have learned that not all rescues are created equal. In your database, it would be helpful to have some type of a rating system for groups. Would that be possible? While asking for their information perhaps you could ask for vet and or shelter references? The priority is always keeping animals safe and for the most part, peoples hearts are in the right place.

Thanks for working on this and please feel free to add our rescue to your list! www.dobermanassistance.org

Debi

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85735
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by arizonabsd » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:52 am

That's an neat and honorable idea (and a daunting challenge!) There are numerous organizations trying to compile a national registry or database and I agree it'd be helpful. What usually winds up happening instead, though, is that statewide or multi-state groups tend to work closely together, or in purebred rescues, all herding breeds or all toy breeds are coming together better than in the past.

Good luck with the project, and you're welcome to add us to your list.

Lynnette Bennett
Belgian Sheepdog Rescue of North America
[email protected]
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]