LINK TO FIND PILOTS! Just put in City, State, Zip!!

READ THESE ANNOUNCEMENTS BEFORE USING RIDE BOARD

Re: LINK TO FIND PILOTS! Just put in City, State, Zip!!

Postby meginSD on Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:15 pm

I'm having trouble using this link. I get an error message from "Google maps" saying it cannot open the map because it is not a proper "KML" (or whatever) file.
Can someone please help? Perhaps it is a problem with Google maps, but that seems to be the default program.

Thanks,
Meg in SD
meginSD

Postby admin on Sat Jul 24, 2010 12:46 pm

meginSD wrote:I'm having trouble using this link. I get an error message from "Google maps" saying it cannot open the map because it is not a proper "KML" (or whatever) file.
Can someone please help? Perhaps it is a problem with Google maps, but that seems to be the default program.
Thanks,
Meg in SD

Meg, not sure why you are having this problem, perhaps a temp glitch on your end or if you are searching the database for a long transport, it takes google maps awhile to load. To narrow the load time, if you are searching for pilots only, not rescue volunteers, be sure to choose the pilots only option.

If I were you, after posting your request for transport help on the Animals Needing a Ride board (ALWAYS DO THIS FIRST BEFORE CONTACTING ANY PILOTS PRIVATELY) just click on the mapping options link under your subject line. The map list for the pilots along your route only will come up. If you choose to group email, PLEASE BLIND COPY.

Thanks and if you have any further questions, we have a section on the Board Index for rescues to ask and seek for answers. Three outstanding rescue volunteers monitor that forum and are excellent at steering you in the right direction.

Debi
admin
Site Admin

Postby Steve Foley on Sat Jul 24, 2010 2:41 pm

meginSD wrote:I'm having trouble using this link. I get an error message from "Google maps" saying it cannot open the map because it is not a proper "KML" (or whatever) file.

Thanks,
Meg in SD

Please let me know what zipcodes you are using.

Also please note that the same options are available of you click on "More Mapping Options" in your request on the rides forum.
The best way to contact me is via email:

steve dot foley at gmail dot com
Steve Foley
Webmaster

Postby meginSD on Sat Jul 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Thanks for the info Debi. I did post a transport request first and was then searching for pilots along that route the following day. However, good news, as it looks as if the dog who needed a ride is going to be adopted from the shelter, so for now I can stop searching. I will go to the transport request area and change the status of my post.

Thanks,
Meg
meginSD

Postby hothar on Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:54 pm

I love this application, it's done wonders for helping me find pilots. However it would also be nice if airports that don't have pilots were also listed (or could be included in a filter).

Especially when trying to cut a rather long leg down it becomes useful to know what airports are between to cities, even if no pilots live near them.

Thanks!
hothar

Postby Steve Foley on Thu Aug 26, 2010 1:00 am

hothar wrote:I love this application, it's done wonders for helping me find pilots. However it would also be nice if airports that don't have pilots were also listed (or could be included in a filter).

Especially when trying to cut a rather long leg down it becomes useful to know what airports are between to cities, even if no pilots live near them.

Thanks!

You are probably better off using runwayfinder.com or skyvector.com to find airports along a route. There are thousands of airports, and re-writing the program to include them would take quite an effort.
The best way to contact me is via email:

steve dot foley at gmail dot com
Steve Foley
Webmaster

Postby hothar on Thu Aug 26, 2010 7:56 pm

Thanks I'll try those.
hothar

Re: RESCUES, Have you looked for Pilots on the Board?

Postby Darkrain34684 on Thu Oct 28, 2010 1:42 am

Several months ago when i was trying to find a pilot to email, I used this link, http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 707031&z=3, filled in the zip codes and I was given several choices, the map with the blue dots but also email list of pilots and email list of volunteers. This made it so easy and it was a huge time saver because I could do 1 email and send to everyone without having to go dot by dot.
Is it possible to get that feature back, it sure made life a lot easier.

Lenore
Heidi's Legacy Dog Rescue
Darkrain34684

Postby admin on Thu Oct 28, 2010 2:20 am

Darkrain34684 wrote:Several months ago when i was trying to find a pilot to email, I used this link, http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 707031&z=3, filled in the zip codes and I was given several choices, the map with the blue dots but also email list of pilots and email list of volunteers. This made it so easy and it was a huge time saver because I could do 1 email and send to everyone without having to go dot by dot.
Is it possible to get that feature back, it sure made life a lot easier.
LenoreHeidi's Legacy Dog Rescue

Hi Lenore,
Unfortunately due to spammers, we felt we had to change the way emails were used via the board. Previously, you could search for a pilot or a volunteer by clicking on their username or dot on the map, heading to their profile page and retrieving their email address. We had complaints about spammers and made the choice to allow email to be sent via the email software that comes with this bulletin board.

I understand that it is now more time consuming because you have to send one email at a time but until outsiders find something to do besides nab our email addresses this is the way it has to be. Anyone is still welcome to list their direct email address in their postings if they choose. We do state when you join PNP that if you choose to do this, be aware that your email address and phone number are public to those who join the forum board. If we find a better way to protect your email addresses we will certainly change the system back. Until then, we apologize for the incovenience.

Debi
admin
Site Admin

Postby Cindylou on Tue Dec 21, 2010 8:32 pm

I have emailed a number of pilots and have only received 1 response. Am trying to work on Central NY/Rochester/Finger Lakes area for a pilot. Thanks for the info. though.
Cindylou

PreviousNext

Return to Ride Board Announcements