I need a lift to my new forever home

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
shastalee

I need a lift to my new forever home

Post by shastalee » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:20 pm

Number of animals being transported: 1
Breeds, weight, age: shepard/husky mix,7months
Health Condition: very good
Heart worm Status: neg
Vaccinations: yes
Health Certificate: yes
Spay/Neutered: no
Special needs: no
Name of Sending & Receiving Rescue/Parties: wayne county animal shelter (sending0 Michelle Arnhold (reviving)
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): [email protected] or 774-386-7875
Are you a 501c3:
Additional Info/situation: low cost of free transport needed. I am a puppy saved from death row, by my new forever mom, she wants me home asap, can you help me arrive safely to my new loving forever home.
Last edited by shastalee on Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

dchenarides
Zip Code: 29526
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KHYW
Distance willing to fly one way: 200

Re: I need a lift to my new forever home

Post by dchenarides » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:31 pm

Available to help you out this saturday, and monday provided weather cooperates. Can meet in new jersey or pennsylvania to bring dog to MA.
Dean
Dean Chenarides
PA28-161 Piper Cherokee
C: 914-474-1471
IFR

shastalee

Post by shastalee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:07 am

Dean, thank you. I will contact the shelter and see when he will be ready to be released to travel, I will email you again as soon as I get an answer. how close to Ma can you get him as, I have not traveled to pA or NJ by myself in a while..lol.

michelle

RickG
Zip Code: 27705
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: 8NC8
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by RickG » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:32 am

Dean:

Just want to make certain you have all bases covered should you get involved with this transport.

Are you aware of the new laws re: transporting out of state dogs into Massachusetts that went into effect at the start of the year? There is a post here: http://pilotsnpaws.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=15672

This was also brought to my attention by one of the groups you and I have both made transports for. As of 2012 only a select group of pre-approved organizations can legally bring dogs into Massachusetts. The State wants the assurance the dogs have been properly vetted and quarantined upon arrival before being released into homes. Obviously your call, but I would do some due diligence to insure Michelle's transport is legal and/or what your liability might be should you transport the dog. I know you work with a number of pilots up north as we coordinate transfers up from the SE ... I would be curious if any of the other pilots you've worked with in the NE area have looked into this and what their position is on transport requests to MA. From pickup to drop off we all become part of the transport "chain."

A few more direct links to the MA Division of Animal Health Shelter/Rescue:
http://www.mass.gov/agr/animalhealth/em ... _order.htm
http://www.mass.gov/agr/animalhealth/Ap ... tities.htm

Regards -

Rick
Durham, NC (8NC8)
C172E VFR
93 rescue flights ... 347 dogs ... and 53 cats!

dchenarides

Post by dchenarides » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:20 am

Hi Rick and Michelle,
Rick raises a very important point about transport into MA. Michelle, you need to make sure that the receiving shelter is an approved one in MA by going to the links that Rick provided and verifying they can quarantine the dog as well as let you know what papers are required. I can probably make it easier for you instead of driving all the way to PA or NJ. Can you get the dog to Frederick, MD? Perhaps you can help out Rick?

Rick, thanks for the heads up as I had no idea this was put in place. Do you know what specific paperwork is required to transport dogs and cats across state lines? I heard somewhere there was a serious ramp check recently and the pilots were without proper documentation. Do you know anything about this?

Regards,
Dean
Dean Chenarides
PA28-161 Piper Cherokee
IFR

shastalee

Post by shastalee » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:34 pm

so now Im confused, I couldnt find anything when I looked into it prior to putting my request in. I talked to the shelter and they told me the dog only needed to have rabies shot ( was what they mean when they say must be vetted) and a health certificate... they did mention quarantine but no legnth was said and was unclear as to as toif it had to be before tracel or after. Also I was told because he is a puppy, he can be altered once he arrives here and I would need to send proof of completion. Is this info correct or is it missing something, I cant have a rescue pull him until travel is set up
michelle 774-386-7875

dchenarides

Post by dchenarides » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:25 pm

See if you can get the sending shelter approved by the agency identified in the link Rick sent us. I left you a phone message, please call me @ 914-474-1471.

Rick, can you shed some light on the topic for us?

Dean
Dean Chenarides
PA28-161 Piper Cherokee
IFR

DougWeir
Zip Code: 10024
Airport identifier: KCDW

Post by DougWeir » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:11 am

I can help with the rescue this weekend and could do a leg from MD to Caldwell, NJ (CDW). Also maybe Michelle could connect with a local "approved" shelter in MA to quarantine the pup on arrival to comply with the reg? Please call if I can help. Doug 917-208-1172 (c)

PS this Sat (2/4) works very well for me!
Doug Weir, CFI, ATP
Saratoga Springs, NY (5B2)
Grumman Tiger - N414DJ
Cell: 917-208-1172

RickG
Zip Code: 27705
Airport identifier: 8NC8
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by RickG » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:40 am

I took the initiative and spoke with the the Program Coordinator at the Massachusetts Division of Animal Health Shelter/Rescue program. She will get back to us and confirm how these transfers need to take place so we (as the transport) are in compliance with the new regulations. At first take it sounds like the dog(s) will have to go to a shelter that can provide the 48 hr quarantine.
Durham, NC (8NC8)
C172E VFR
93 rescue flights ... 347 dogs ... and 53 cats!

DougWeir
Zip Code: 10024
Airport identifier: KCDW

Post by DougWeir » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:16 am

That was my read of the info too. If so, hopefully one of the "approved" shelters can help Michelle with the required quarantine so we can get this guy through the system.

Michelle: can you please try to contact local approved shelters to see if they can assist so we can tentatively plan this rescue for this Saturday, if it works for others?

Rick: are you available this Sat to do the flight if we get this cleared? Could you fly the pup from Goldsboro to Humel Field (W75)? I could take him from there to Caldwell, NJ (CDW)

Dean: are you available Sat also, and could you meet me at CDW to bring him the rest of the way?

Best,
Doug
Doug Weir, CFI, ATP
Saratoga Springs, NY (5B2)
Grumman Tiger - N414DJ
Cell: 917-208-1172