Siegmund wrote:Ideally we'd get two of us on this board who are free on the same day, to fly the two halves of the trip. As your dates are flexible there is a good chance of that.
I fly out of Idaho Falls and it seems to be a convenient halfway point. About 300nm in the southern half and 360 in the northern. Each half about 3 hours in the air, in a small slow plane - some other posters may have faster planes and be able to cover that distance in 2.
Having you along should not be a problem, at least for me; I assume you'd want to sit in the back with the dog beside you? That's much more comfortable the smaller of a person you are.
I've not looked in detail at the route yet - but at a quick glance, Green River airport doesn't appear to sell gas, and while Moab and Grand Junction are the same straight-line distance from me, a small plane has to either go over Salt Lake or over Vernal; the straight-line path to Moab would go over the highest part of the mountains. Part of the appeal of GRJ was staying east of the high mountains. Lots of time to pin down the exact details, if we find a day that works for both of us and for another flier. Feel free to PM, too.
This looks like a great plan to me. I only mentioned Green River and Moab because going to Grand Junction is a backwards drive. I didn't think you would have as many mountain issues in Moab but you would in Cortez. That is 30 miles from me. Moab is 2 hours and then, if you go right on I-70 another 2 hours gets you to Grand Junction. I don't know of other airfields but going west on I-70 or taking the cut off toward SLC shortens the distance for both of us. I'll go to Grand Junction if you think that is best. If you think a field in Utah is better then I'll drive there.
'Yup, I am small and I would be in the back with the pup. He'll have a crate for safety, of course. But I'll be able to reach in to him to clear his mouth and nose or feed and water him. The dog weighs about 10 lbs. and I weigh about 125 lbs. I can give each pilot about $200 for gas, assuming we use 2 pilots. I'll travel as light as possible, like 1 bag. Also, if the second pilot needs me to wait in Idaho Falls til the next day, I'll get a motel. It would be great to get it done in a single day but that could take instrument rating that might not be available. Look around at the airfields that will suit you best. We are just grateful for the help...and it will make a great story, especially if we do the same thing to get him home after he's cleared.
You guys are great!!!! Now I wish I had learned to fly when my dad was flying.
Love Ya Fliers! Leslie