7 puppies need transport from Shelby NC to Quonset

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
Debhardin

7 puppies need transport from Shelby NC to Quonset

Post by Debhardin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 2:26 am

Number of animals being transported:
Breeds, weight, age: 8 weeks old shep mix puppies @ 6 pounds each
Health condition: good
Heartworm status: negative
Vaccinations: current dhpp
Health certificate: yes
Spayed/neutered: no
Special needs: none
(Contact information publicly viewable on forum): deb hardin 704 460 9030
Name and contact for person in charge of transport: deb hardin 704 460 9030
Name and contact for Sending rescue/parties: deb hardin 704 460 9030
Name and contact for Receiving rescue/parties: Tammy Flanagan 401 944 0863
Are you a 501c3: yes
Date ready for transport: 6/4 within the next two weeks
Additional info/situation: these pups went on a paid transport last week, van's ac broke, driver left in van while repairing, two died and the other 7 severely dehydrated, burned feet, etc. Rescue and foster are terrified of a repeat event, please help
Last edited by Debhardin on Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

mmattie

Re: 7 puppies need transport from Shelby NC to Quonset

Post by mmattie » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:59 am

Hello All,

I'm based at KOXC. I can fly either of the following legs:
KESN to KOXC or
KOXC to Final Destination

Available most days and nights

Mark
203-804-1827
Based: KOXC
N838DH

FlyingRICPA

Post by FlyingRICPA » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:11 am

I am flying to Maryland on Friday and returning to RI on Sunday - I can meet someone in Frederick, MD on Sunday around 11 and bring them back to Quonset.

sokoloff

Post by sokoloff » Wed Jun 04, 2014 6:12 pm

I may be able to take this transport and one or two others on Sunday on a long, combined day.

I will be returning east from a westbound trip where the plane is full of my family, so I will not be able to bring my own crates.

1. Each transporting group would need to provide a crate for their dogs.

2. The 3 transport route would look like: OSU-EHO-PSK-POU-OQU-BVY-BTV-LWM

and I'd be looking to combine Dolly VA->VT, 7 puppies NC->RI, and Barnaby NY->MA all in one trip.

Dolly would have a long day (4-ish hours of flight time for her and more like 7 hours with all the ground time included). She's also the adult dog among the bunch, so as long as she's healthy, that should be OK.
The puppies would have two "extra" stops included, but wouldn't have to be transferred in/out of the airplanes at the stops.
Barnaby would get a pretty express trip, with just one extra stop for him.

3. The 2 transport route would look like: OSU-PSK-POU-BTV-LWM (and I would have Barnaby picked up at Lawrence Airport, which is close enough to Beverly). That would also allow me to avoid a fuel stop with dogs on-board, which is always nicer for the dogs in terms of waiting time on the ground, heat, anxiety, etc.

4. Because of the length of my flying day, I'd really be looking for flexibility on the ground connections in terms of time and being willing to be a little early to the pickup ETA (so the dogs don't get extra delays sitting on the ground waiting for transport and, to a lesser extent, that I can get through the flying day in a reasonable time).

5. I could also meet (and would prefer this as it shortens my flying day a good bit) the Flying CPA at KFDK, but probably not until ~1 PM as I'd be flying OSU-EHO-PSK-FDK (over 625nm and two loading stops) before arriving FDK that day.

Debhardin

Post by Debhardin » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:17 pm

please let me know if you can do this and we can be as flexible as needed on transport time....we would so appreciate your help to help these puppies arrive safely and healthy..they have been through enough already...

sokoloff

Post by sokoloff » Thu Jun 05, 2014 1:25 pm

Two of the transports in the above post have already been filled, but anotherhas come up where I can help, so I'll be planning to fly this route on Sunday: OSU-I73-AFJ-EHO-OQU-LWM and each transport will be a direct flight from the dogs' perspective (no dog will have to fly extra miles, nor wait on the ground).

You would need to provide the crate(s), and I'll be flying 550nm before arriving at Shelby, so I won't be able to do an early AM pickup Sunday.

Debhardin

Post by Debhardin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 3:07 pm

Great.....we can provide crates and can be at the shelby airport at any time convenient to you.....also will be glad to notify the rescue on the receiving end if you can give us an approximate time.....we would so appreciate it...

sokoloff

Post by sokoloff » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm flying the Ohio to PA rescue first, so it's looking like I could be at Shelby around 1 PM. I can call from PA with an updated prediction of my arrival time (taking all the variables of the prior transport mission out of the picture). I'll also need to buy fuel at Shelby prior to loading up the dogs. (What we did last time was keep the dogs in the air conditioned car of the volunteer while I attended to the airplane needs, used the restroom, got the last check of weather and flightt planning inside, and then loaded the dogs right as I was about to fire up. The airplane has A/C as soon as the engine is running, but can get hot sitting on the ramp with the engine off.) With the things I need to do for the plane and myself, probably no sense planning to arrive before 1:30, though I can send an update before leaving PA.

Flight time to Quonset is just over 3 hours after takeoff, so I'd predict 5 PM for the receiving volunteer's rough planning their day. What I'll ask is the sending volunteer to call the receiving volunteer with an updated ETA that I'll give them as we have the dogs loaded and I get the predicted flight time from my computer. They can make that call while I'm en route with a slightly finer updated time.

Please verify that Quonset is the best airport for the receiving volunteer. I can just as easily use Providence, Newport, North-Central, Westerly, or new Bedford if any of those are closer or more convenient. I'm not comfortable using Richmond/West Kingston due to the poor runway condition there.

Please also send along the measurements of the proposed crates, so I can make sure they'll fit. I have a lot of space, but not infinite space. :)

Debhardin

Post by Debhardin » Thu Jun 05, 2014 10:48 pm

Awesome ...we will plan on 130 and await any updates and gladly let receiving rescue know. We can get one large crate for all the pups or we can get a couple medium sized ones, please advise which is best and i will send size. I cannot tell you how appreciative we are for you helping these babies along the way!! Thank you from the bottom of our hearts

sokoloff

Post by sokoloff » Fri Jun 06, 2014 3:47 pm

One large is probably going to work better. I will have the rear seats out of the plane and have large doors for loading, so the one large should be better in all regards. I think the width of the airplane cabin is 35", but I've never put a tape measure on it.

I flew a prior flight EHO-HPN with one medium crate and 8 7-9 pound puppies and while it was little cramped for them by "people" standards, the puppies seemed perfectly content once they got comfortable in cruise and settled down to rest. That was a case where we were really cramped on space as I had my wife and two kids in the back with the crate, so we could only take a medium crate. Anyway, I'm sure we'll work it out. As long as the doors close, we're good here.