Need transport for 5+ Japanese Chins from Fl to CT

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
mthomson

Re: Need transport for 5+ Japanese Chins from Fl to CT

Post by mthomson » Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:10 am

I think I could drive a NJ leg if the weather is bad for flying

skyking
Zip Code: 33043
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KMTH
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by skyking » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:43 pm

The next step would be to get all of the contact information for each pick up and delivery location (pilots/shelters) and make sure that the pilots have the info for their leg. The pilots will call each other to determine the airports for the mid-transport legs. Because of the distance involved, the only other item you might want to pursue would be to locate shelters/foster homes at each transfer point in the event that weather becomes a factor. (This will be easier when you find out the exact airports that each leg will use).

Jeff
[email protected]
305-797-6356

mskymee

Post by mskymee » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:35 pm

Are the plastic crates like they use on the larger planes ok? Do you want the food and water attached with the crates or seperate?
Kim

skyking
Zip Code: 33043
Airport identifier: KMTH

Post by skyking » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:11 pm

Kim,

Yes, the plastic transport crates are fine. Try to keep their size as small as possible as most small aircraft do not have a great deal of space for cargo. Food and water should not be in the crate - but available for the pilot to dole out at transfer points. DO NOT feed the pups before the flight. You can give a few treats to take the edge off of the hunger but no more. Please provide leashes for each pup for walks at transfer points.

jeff

mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Airport identifier: KCPK

Post by mchutto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:59 am

We are still go for 2/21 as long as the weather cooperates. 0930 at Deland is good for me. My flight to VA will take anywhere from 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 hours, based on winds. That's probably going to put the CT leg landing at night. I'm about 3 1/2 hours from Bridgeport in my Cherokee. Hartford is a little longer. Of course, a faster plane will cut that time. Do you have a foster home in or near Chesapeake VA in case the pilot doesn't want to make a night flight to CT?

Marty

sehall

Post by sehall » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:02 pm

I am the last leg and will, but prefer not, to do this part of the run in the dark. By the time the dogs get walked and refreshed it could be a 4 pm or later departure. Also seem like a long day for them.
While we can take a closer look as we get closer to the date, it would be a smart idea to have a place to board them for the night in that area just in case.

Steve

mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Airport identifier: KCPK

Post by mchutto » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:00 pm

I aleady have a medium size crate in my plane. Do these dogs get along with each other? My Chin is such a friendly little guy, he gets along with everybody. If they will fit in it and not fight, it would be better than having five smaller missile hazards in the back of the plane. Of course, that could present a problem to Steve who is flying the last leg. Also, herding all of them in one crate might be a problem. I just need to know whether to take my crate out or leave it in. If we have two days of good flying weather on the 21st & 22nd, my wife and I could probably keep them overnight. Although, knowing her, I couldn't guarantee that all of them would continue on the last leg. I'm sure she would want to keep them all! Just kidding.

Marty

mskymee

Post by mskymee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 pm

Steve,
I just talked with Jeff. The last leg would put you in at dark here in CT. Can you do the last leg the next day? Bridgeport is not a good area at all. There is one just a little ways up the coast, it's the Groton-New London Airport. Much better there.
Kim

mskymee

Post by mskymee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Marty,
You guys have a Chin????? Name, age, pics please! As far as I know all of these get along well with each other. They have been raised together. We can come up with the crates and stuff. If you and your wife could over nite them, that would be fantastic! I'll make sure and do a head count when they get here! LOL
Kim

buster

Post by buster » Fri Jan 30, 2009 4:47 pm

im in the Atlanta and can meet Marty at the same airport we met last time in NC anytime any day. Don [email protected] or 5614451840