CANCELLED - Double amputee needs ride to forever home

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
tracie

CANCELLED - Double amputee needs ride to forever home

Post by tracie » Thu Sep 30, 2010 4:28 pm

Double rear amputee needs ride to his new forever home from Los Angles area to Michigan. He has a new job as a theapy dog waiting for him at the VA hospital. This is pretty far trip so not sure if its possible. I don't know where Rock, Michigan is but new owner will drive to get him. Jiao is a small boy and weighs less then 20 pounds. Thank you for looking.
Last edited by tracie on Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PurpleBike
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No

Re: Double amputee needs ride to forever home

Post by PurpleBike » Wed Oct 06, 2010 10:46 am

I am based in Steamboat Springs, Colorado and could do a 4 or 5 hundred mile leg for the trip to Northern Michigan. I have a very small airplane and a small soft sided dog crate that should handle a 20 lb dog. However if you have thoughts as to how the dog should be transported let me know.

Denny Benson

tracie

Post by tracie » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:00 pm

We measure him for a commercial flight and he is 26 inches from his ears to the bottom of his front feet - so he is kind of tall. I will keep you posted if we get any more offers as I know it is a long way. Thank you so much for your generous offer.

Dave N3243B
Zip Code: 90068
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KWHP
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by Dave N3243B » Sat Oct 09, 2010 3:21 am

For super long distances, its usually faster, cheaper, and easier on the dog to crate him and send him on a commercial airline. Has this option been explored? If funds are an issue, I would be happy to assist with a donation for a commercial airline flight. It might be quite a challenge to get enough pilots together to make it happen quickly for our small airplane force. Just a suggestion. And just out of curiosity, how does this little guy get around? Has anyone tried to attach a set of rear wheels? I heard this works great for double rear amputee dogs.

Dave Sanov
N3243B

tracie

Post by tracie » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:26 pm

Thank you so much for your offer. Rescues are always struggling for money so it is very much appreciated. Thankfully the new owner stepped up and paid about $550.00 for a direct flight from LAX to Chicago. They then drove 7 hours one way to pick him up and drove 7 hours home. The flight was only 4 hours for him so it worked out great. He does have a cart that we were able to get from Eddies Wheels when he arrived from Taiwan back in November. He actually gets along great without his cart and is very fast - and a naughty boy who dosen't like to listen. He will be living on a 20 acre farm with a fenced 1 1/2 acre yard to run all he wants. Thanks again.