English Coonhound needs ride from OH to FL

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCPK
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: English Coonhound needs ride from OH to FL

Post by mchutto » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:40 pm

Is he intact, or has he been neutered? I have three Tibetan Terriers and a Japanese Chin. The three males have been neutered, so there might be minor turf rumblings but I doubt any major battles would occur. If he gets along ok with other dogs, I could probably overnight him. Does he have good house manners? He would have to stay inside because the only outside shelter I have is a dogloo. I'm not sure it would be adequate this time of year.

If I got him on the 18th, I could launch at my convenience on the 19th. Of course this is all subject to decent weather.

Marty

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:41 pm

Hopefully we can find someone to put Sam up for the night of the 18th. I think Sam would also prefer not to be in a crate. Marty, what time do you think you would land in Deland? I'll make sure to leave plenty of time to drive over and meet you there.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 7:46 pm

Sorry Marty, I didn't read your last post prior to my last reply! Sam is neutered. He gets along fine with other dogs.

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:17 pm

DJK,
Will the 18th still work for you? If so, where and what time should I have Sam at the airport? I don't know the Athens area, so I'm not familiar with the local airports.

Marty,
I will make sure Sam has a collar and leash and is up to date on all shots.

If I am forgetting anything, please let me know.

DJK3737T
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: KFDK

Post by DJK3737T » Mon Feb 09, 2009 6:14 am

I'll have to find out whether I can get the day off from work. I may not be able to bring the subject up today because we're entertaining a guest, but I should be able to find something out by tomorrow (Tuesday the 10th).

Jimmy, you should also be advised that trying to plan this far ahead is problematic, especially in the winter. There's no better than a 50% chance that a particular day picked out two weeks in advance will actually have weather that it's safe to fly in. Chances improve in the warmer months when at least there's less worry about ice building up on the airplane in clouds.

Assuming I can get the time off, it will be the end of this week before we can even begin to guess about that day's weather. We'll keep our fingers crossed.

-- DJK

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Mon Feb 09, 2009 7:56 pm

That's a very good point! I've only flown on a smaller 6 passenger plane once. What a thrill that was! And it was a perfect day to fly. I can only imagine how a windy or rainy day can make a difference. I really appreciate you, Marty and everyone else who has offered to help.

DJK3737T

Post by DJK3737T » Tue Feb 10, 2009 10:27 am

This time of year, the biggest worry is ice. It can form any time you're in visible moisture and temperatures are below freezing, or even a little above. Most light airplanes aren't equipped to prevent ice from sticking to them (mine isn't), and if it does it can be very dangerous -- not because of the weight, but because it disrupts the flow of air over the wings and tail.

In warmer weather, the greatest threat is thunderstorms -- and any time of year, there's a chance that the clouds will be too low or the visibility too poor to get into the airport, even flying by instruments. The airlines have a lot of resources we don't.

We'll hope for the best in the meantime.

-- DJK

Jon

Post by Jon » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:30 am

Ignore this reply if something else is set up or if I'm butting in.

I have a rescue to the Pittsburg area this weekend........2/14, with 2/15 the alternate date. Arrival noonish, so I could be in Athens area by 1:00 PM eastern.

I can get this pup to Knoxville on the return easily. I will have my crates on board. I cannot shelter the pup, but if someone can find a shelter and another pilot wants to head south from anywhere within a reasonable distance from Knoxville TN I can get the pup there.

DJK3737T

Post by DJK3737T » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:13 pm

Good afternoon, Jon. Thanks for your offer!

If somebody else can transport this fella from Knoxville to Chesapeake, this might be worth doing. I don't mind relinquishing the flight if it will help get things moving.

If I'm to take him, moving him to Knoxville doesn't help -- in fact, it's further out of the way for me than picking him up in Athens and taking him to Chesapeake from there. (I'm based at FDK.)

I'll keep an eye on this space to see how things are shaping up.

Best,

-- DJK

mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Foster?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCPK

Post by mchutto » Wed Feb 11, 2009 3:29 pm

Same here. If someone can get him to FL from TN, I'm willing to let them. Looks like the sticking point now is finding a shelter for him in TN.

I have a rescue run this weekend, so I can't meet Jon at a point somehere in the middle to move him to VA.

My trip to FL looks like an early launch on the 20th now, based on the weather outlook. We all know the reliability of the long range outlook! I don't mind keeping him for two or three days if someone can get him here.

Marty