Stella, the once chained dog, would like to fly with you!

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
JasonLedford

Stella, the once chained dog, would like to fly with you!

Post by JasonLedford » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:59 am

Number of animals being transported: 1
Breeds, weight, age: Australian Cattle Dog, 40lbs, 3
Health Condition: Excellent
Heart worm Status: Negative
Vaccinations: checked for heartworm, lyme and erlichea, de wormed with drontal plus, rabies, distemper, and lepto vaccinated, given heartgard plus, and Frontlined
Health Certificate: Yes
Spay/Neutered: Spayed
Special needs: None
Name of Sending & Receiving Rescue/Parties: Australian Cattle Dog Rescue - Sending contact will be Jason Ledford or Kay Sander / Receiving contact is Katie Irwin
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Jason Ledford - [email protected]
Additional Info/situation: Stella was chained to a tree for most of her life until a kind soul took her in. This person had her vaccinated/spayed and contacted the ACDRA for help in finding her a more permanent home. Right now Stella has a clean bill of health. She also has a very eager foster home waiting to show her that people are nice and being inside at night is a good way to live. Stella is currently in Cullen, Va and needs a ride into Punxsutawney or Indiana, PA. She's going from being chained to a tree to a 20 acre goat farm in gorgeous PA! Here are two pictures of Stella. One is of her old home, chain included, and the other is of her on the leash with her chain hating friend.

I check email a few times a minute so please excuse me if I don't get back to you in a few seconds.

Iggy
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Stella, the once chained dog, would like to fly with you

Post by Iggy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:04 pm

Hello,
I'm based in Southern MD and might be able to help Stella get a ride to PA. Would a pickup on next Saturday morning, 20 Nov, at 8 am be ok? This is my first Pilot and Paws mission but my daughter and I are ready to help. Let me know if this works for you. It's about a 2 hour flight from Farmville Regional Airport, VA, to Jimmy Stewart Field in Indiana County PA. Let me know if this works for you. Thanks.
r/
Ralph
cell: 240 577-5457

JasonLedford

Post by JasonLedford » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:18 pm

Iggy,

Thanks so much for you response! I'll email the drop off volunteer and the pickup volunteer. I'll be in touch with their responses.

Again, thanks very much for you and your daughters offer of help.

- Jason L.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Sun Nov 14, 2010 3:56 pm

Copy that. Standing by.

Ralph

JasonLedford

Post by JasonLedford » Mon Nov 15, 2010 8:28 am

Iggy,

It's a go!

The drop off volunteer and the pickup volunteer are committed. I asked the drop-off person to be at the Farmville regional airport at 8a. The pickup person will be at Jimmy Stewart Field at 10:30a. I factored in a 30 min time to refuel, settle Stella, etc and then two hours in the air. Do you find this schedule adequate? If not, just ping me back and I'll adjust my volunteer meeting times to accommodate.

I will send you my phone number via email. That way you can call me if any problems arise.

Since logistics are taken care I just found out some background on the rescuer who actually took Stella off the chain. She has been a rescuer for 15 years and decided to take a break. What "broke" her was a situation with a rescue dog from an organization close by. The dog she took in would run off and chase deer for hours. She had him in a kennel but evidently this dog was part escape artist. The last time this happened the dog lured her personal dog out with him. This dog had never left her yard in 71/2 years of ownership. She eventually found another place to foster the escaping dog as it was obvious this situation wasn't working out. Her own dog has now been missing a month. Because of this she was going to take some time off from rescue. But she couldn't see Stella chained up anymore and took a risk. She told me that so many people have come together and worked on this that it's been very easy and healing for her. Because this rescue has gone so well she now feels much better about doing more.

So not only are you flying a dog from being chained in a 2 foot circle to a 20 acre goat farm....you're also helping a dog rescuer see that helping animals isn't always torturous!

So thanks to you and your daughter. I'll be in touch with that phone number.

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:13 pm

Jason,
Got your email with phone number. Thx. Will Stella be in a crate for the trip? I assume she hasn't flown before. Looking forward to the trip and helping both Stella and the nice soul who helped Stella get away from that tree!
Ralph

JasonLedford

Post by JasonLedford » Mon Nov 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Ralph,

Stella doesn't have a crate to travel with. Would you feel more comfortable having a crate for her to fly? If so I'll see if I can get one and ship it to the Kay, the lady who rescued her, before your arrival.

Let me know!

Iggy

Post by Iggy » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:37 am

Jason, I think a crate would be smart for her safety and allow me to concentrate on the flying. Just in case she's a nervous flyer. Also, checked our flight time to Jimmy Stewart and it's closer to a 1+15 so a 1000 arrival is more reasonable. Obtw, we couldn't open the pictures of Stella on the original post. Could you try again? Thx! Ralph

JasonLedford

Post by JasonLedford » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:00 am

Iggy,

I'm sizing crates now. She'll have a crate for the flight.

The pics! Sorry you couldn't see them! Let's try these links instead...

The first two are with her, and the dread chain to the tree.

The last one is of her with her rescuer, Kay.

If those links don't work here is the direct link to her pics.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... 39983c1adf

JasonLedford

Post by JasonLedford » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:50 pm

Iggy,

Here is the crate I'm sending with Stella. Will this fit in the plane?

http://www.amazon.com/Brand-Group-Foldi ... 799&sr=8-1