Clarification for use of COMPASSION call sign

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Clarification for use of COMPASSION call sign

Postby ChuckH on Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:38 pm

I spoke with Debi Boies, founder of Pilots N Paws (PNP), requesting clarification for the use of the COMPASSION call sign. She wasn't certain of whether the call sign assigned to the Air Care Alliance (ACA) could be used for PNP missions.

She, in turn, contacted Rol Murrow, who is the Chairman of the ACA. Rol indicated that as an ACA partner, pilots flying PNP missions are permitted to use the COMPASSION call sign. He stated that pilots should follow the procedures located on ACA's web site, which can be found at http://www.aircareall.org/callsign.htm.

Rol also added:
The call sign should not be used for positioning legs when animals are
not being transported - just for the group's animal relocation flight
legs themselves.

From the attached Procedures document:
COMPASSION likewise has been designated to serve the public convenience, good,
and necessity and we strongly encourage pilots to adopt its use for public benefit flying
missions.

Hope this helps,
- Chuck
Attachments
Compassion_Call_Sign.pdf
Procedures for Use by Designated Pilots and Groups
(7.43 KiB) Downloaded 101 times
Commercial AMEL, ASEL, ASES, Inst
PA-34, PA-28, C-152, L16
ChuckH

Re: Clarification for use of COMPASSION call sign

Postby JudsonCc on Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:26 pm

Newbie here; just wondering if anyone has done this or similar and what kind of results they've had?
JudsonCc

Postby ChuckH on Tue Jul 23, 2013 11:19 pm

I use the COMPASSION call sign on a regular basis whenever I have a PNP dog on board. When filing, I always note in the remarks block of my filed flight plan my real tail number as well as "Pilots N Paws", just as is recommended in the PDF document.

Most of the ATC controllers just see me as another aircraft. While none have questioned my use of it, a few have had the time to ask what "Pilots N Paws" is about. I generally respond with something like
Pilots N Paws is a member of the Air Care Alliance. We're a group of volunteers that transport dogs that have been rescued to foster homes or adopters homes.

On-frequency traffic permitting, I will also add a brief description of my payload. On my last flight, I told the controller that I had eight puppies on board that had been left on the side of the road.

On several occasions, I have heard anonymous responses from other pilots. Things like "good work", "glad to hear someone's doing it", "cool", and other positive responses. I have never heard a negative response from either controllers or other pilots.

I'd be interested in hearing from other pilots about their use of the COMPASSION call sign.

Enjoy,
- Chuck
Commercial AMEL, ASEL, ASES, Inst
PA-34, PA-28, C-152, L16
ChuckH

Postby traunero on Wed Jul 24, 2013 2:08 am

I don't use the compassion call sign on PnP flights, but I do put in the Remarks section Animal Rescue Flight Pilots N Paws. Several controllers have asked what my cargo was that flight and I tell them.

I do use the compassion call sign on Lifeline and Angel Flights.
Rich Traunero
419-937-3899
traunero

Postby lworthen on Fri Oct 11, 2013 1:49 pm

traunero wrote:I don't use the compassion call sign on PnP flights, but I do put in the Remarks section Animal Rescue Flight Pilots N Paws. Several controllers have asked what my cargo was that flight and I tell them.

I do use the compassion call sign on Lifeline and Angel Flights.

Out of curiosity, why do you use the compassion call sign on Angel Flights? Angel Flight has its own call sign, "Angel Flight" (NGFxxx).
Lucas
Piper Archer II
lworthen

Return to "Pilot Talk"