Crate Sizes

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Crate Sizes

Postby Terry in Huntsville on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:32 am

Hi all,
This may be a repeat but has anyone established maximum crate sizes that will fit in a C172 and/or Warrior. We have no crates and having flown no missions yet would like to learn from others experience if possible.
Thanks,
Terry
Terry in Huntsville

Re: Crate Sizes

Postby admin on Wed Feb 11, 2009 2:36 am

Terry in Huntsville wrote:Hi all,
This may be a repeat but has anyone established maximum crate sizes that will fit in a C172 and/or Warrior. We have no crates and having flown no missions yet would like to learn from others experience if possible.
Thanks,
Terry

Hi Terry,
I have crates available to UPS to you if you can determine the size that will fit in your plane. Just let me know. Maybe another pilot with a C172 or Warrior will share what has worked best for them.

Debi
admin
Site Admin

Postby Jon on Wed Feb 11, 2009 12:36 pm

It is probably best to measure the width and length of the interior space where you plan to carry the animal's crates.

In a 172 you have the option of space for smaller crates on the floor behind the front seats, on the rear seat, or in the baggage area. Keep in mind it is not only the crate size that is important, it is getting the crate into the space. Because of the travel of the front seat in my plane I can put various size smaller crates with animals into the plane, but to use my larger crates (such as to hold large Dobies) I need collapsible large crates that I set up once inside the plane, and then I load the animals.

Another consideration is the use of a harness to secure a pup to the rear seat for example.

I know from experience there is no universal answer to crate sizes so over time I have accumulated various size crates that I can use in combinations that allow me to maximize the number of animals. Besides crate sizes there are also considerations about which animals are OK to share a crate with another maximizing the available space.

If you want to see how varieties of crate sizes can be used to maximum advantage come to KTYS (where I am based) or KCHA the weekend of 2/21 where I am planning a 6 dog flight with pups from two rescues in KCHA, and two more in KLOU going to KJHW. That is a common number of pups for my transports to KJHW and shows how a mix of sizes will work.
Jon

Postby Terry in Huntsville on Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:28 pm

Debi/Jon,
Thanks guys for the reply and all that you do!
Debi,
Thanks for the offer, I'll let you know when I get it figured out. Hopefully someone has done the logistics and will post the results. Maybe some one will compile a rule of thumb for common A/C and post it!
Jon,
I may take you up on the offer to see how it's done by a veteran, although I will be able to cover only a fraction of the miles you do. What are your estimated times at TYS and CHA on the 21st?

Thanks again,
Terry
Terry in Huntsville

Postby Jon on Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:30 am

Terry,

I usually depart TYS at 7:00 eastern, fuel and load in CHA to depart around 8:15 to 8:30 eastern. I know those are killer times for someone in central time, but with 1.5 hours to KLOU, then after loading and fueling another 2.3 to KJHW, plus the average 2.75 return from JHW to KTYS I usually have well over 7 plus hours of aviating under my belt. The weather in KJHW this time of year is often hard IFR so I want to get in and get out.

You would have to get up at O'Dark thirty to meet me in TYS, and your day would be a lot longer than mine, but you would see how a lot of rescues and pilots are having a big impact. With the exception of the gal in KLOU I have probably transported as many as 40 pups for the sending and receiving rescues. We all have worked together so often usually an email or two between us puts a rescue for a plane load of pups together, and when I load the folks already know which pups are going in which crates and which pups can socialize well and which need to have their own crate.

I would love to have you join me.
Jon

Postby Tom N. on Mon Mar 09, 2009 2:50 am

Terry in Huntsville wrote:Hi all,
Thanks,
Terry

Hi. I just did a leg of a transport in a C172 and here's what I found. The dog came with her own travel crate---one of those crates with two plastic halves that bolt together in the middle, and has a metal mesh door. The crate measured approximately 21"x28" at its widest point, and was about 21" tall. I could just barely squeeze this crate through the C172 door with the front seats pushed all the way forward. Once the crate was on board and sitting sideways on the back seat, there was about 8 inches of clearance to the side---or just enough for the dog to climb in/out. The right seat could then be pushed back against the crate to keep it securely in place.

Based on this, 21 x 28 x 21 (w x d x h) is probably about the largest crate you will get into the back of a C172 without disassembly. The 21x21 cross section was the critical dimension for getting it through the door. You would probably able to fit a longer crate (say 28-32"), though getting the dog in and out might become an issue. You would probably be able to squeeze a few more inches in each direction if you were to use a metal collapsible crate, or were willing to disassemble the crate and reassemble it inside.

But as a practical matter, this means that the maximum size for a dog to ride in a crate in the back seat of a C172 is probably about 35-40 lbs. If you wanted to transport a dog much bigger, it would have to be with a seat-belt harness.

Hope this is useful.

Tom
Tom N.

Postby Terry in Huntsville on Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:00 am

Thanks Tom,
I have been reassigned to Florida so I am regrouping. I've checked in PCMs Cessnas so I should be up and running in Fla. as well as HSV on most weekends. My partner in Huntsville just flew a rescue today in a C172 and knows what size crate will not fit. Any and all info is helpful!
Thanks again,
Terry
Terry in Huntsville

Postby erikjohn19 on Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:13 pm

ok and in a c172 what if I take the back seats out. Has anyone done this? Then what size crate can I get in there?

I am able to fly a c172 out of Orlando Florida.. I am just trying to figure out how large of dogs I can handle, thanks
erikjohn19

Postby Terry in Huntsville on Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:56 pm

Erik,
The problem is getting the crate into the back seat. With the front seat as far forward and lowered, seat back forward, we still had to squeeze a 22x22 thru the opening, transported a 34 pound pointer with no problem. Removing the rear seat may be helpful if you were to assemble the crate after putting it in. Being a renter seat removal isn't really an option. My friend has transported larger dogs in he same C172SP collared and fastened to the rear seat belts, worked OK but a harness is preferable.
Good luck,
Terry
Terry in Huntsville

Postby admin on Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:02 am

Terry in Huntsville wrote:Erik,
The problem is getting the crate into the back seat. With the front seat as far forward and lowered, seat back forward, we still had to squeeze a 22x22 thru the opening, transported a 34 pound pointer with no problem. Removing the rear seat may be helpful if you were to assemble the crate after putting it in. Being a renter seat removal isn't really an option. My friend has transported larger dogs in he same C172SP collared and fastened to the rear seat belts, worked OK but a harness is preferable.
Good luck,
Terry

And don't forget pilots, I have crates and harnesses for your use. Please email me privately at castle_ridge@msn.com if you need these items and I will be happy to UPS them to you.

It is possible to assemble the crate after you get it through the doorway but you still need to have enough room to load the pup or kitty through the crate door. There are also crates that open at the top for loading as well. This style might be an option for planes with smaller areas. However, I do not have the top load crates on hand so would need to order them.

Terry is correct, a harness is preferable when flying a larger dog who will not fit in a crate. Always the pilots choice regarding who and how to fly! We are just sharing our experiences with you.

Debi
admin
Site Admin

Next

Return to "Pilot Talk"