Electronic Mission Report/Flight Report

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Electronic Mission Report/Flight Report

Postby PilotChip on Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:38 pm

Does anybody have an electronic version of the .pdf flight report?

[found here http://pilotsnpaws.org/uploads/Pilots%20N%20Paws%20Pilot%20Rescue%20Flight%20Form.pdf ]

I'm trying to make an interactive one that we can fill out on the computer so if you have any custom made ones out there I would love to see it!

Currently I'm working with Excel and MS Infopath. I'm not too familiar with how to publish or distribute infopath documents though.

Thanks for your inputs!

JC
Jason Chipkin | Long Beach, CA (LGB)
Rescue Blog Facebook
PilotChip

Re: Electronic Mission Report/Flight Report

Postby Jon on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:15 am

If you or anyone can do that the benefit would be outstanding. If it is done right the form can be modified so rescues requesting transports can fill it out first and all the information about sending and receiving as well as descriptions (weights) of the animals can be included.

Great thinking.
Jon

Postby admin on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:41 am

Jason,

I believe I have the orginal attachment in a word file somewhere? More then likely you will have to create your electronic version from the information already on the sheet?

As you and I discussed, I would modify this form just slightly to include the origin and name of the sending party and the final destination receiving party with location.

True, with multi-legs you would be flying one section and handing off to either another pilot or the rescue so technically they would be YOUR sender and receiver. BUT, with the 501c3 status we recently obtained,(woohoo) each pilot who participates will have to reply on the forum board and communicate directly with the sending party at the very minimum to make it known that you are a part of this transport. You will still sign off to each other as the animal makes each transfer so keep that part as well. Just my two cents worth and I am not saying I am correct, it is just what I would do if I were a pilot :D

Debi
admin
Site Admin

Postby PilotChip on Sun Mar 08, 2009 2:22 pm

The form I am designing will include a YOUR LEGS section as well as ORIGINATING AIRPORT and FINAL DESTINATION (or something like that).

Within Microsoft Infopath I have created optional repeating sections of information. For example when you add your information as the pilot you can click on a small button that says "Add a co-pilot or passenger" and it pops down an info box to enter their contact and emergency contact info. Then there's another small button below the co-pilot that allows you to "Add a ride-a-long" (since I already use the name Passenger for the animals).

Is emergency contact info for pilot and passengers appropriate? It can be optional, but if something were to happen it would be good to have it documented.

Any other feedback for the electronic form is appreciated. Plus if you are familiar with Infopath any help with that would be great.

Jason
Rescue Blog Facebook
PilotChip

Postby Jon on Sun Mar 08, 2009 5:02 pm

Jason.......the form we put up on the PNP site was intended to serve a dual purpose. It was to document a transport for IRS purposes, and was to provide all the necessary information on the sending and receiving parties so they can be contacted prior to, during or after a transport. You will note their names, addresses and phone numbers are to be listed.

During a transport that is the mission list of vital information.

After a transport the contact information can be used to provide a means of getting additional data if so requested by the IRS. The signatures are to validate the transport for tax purposes.

I'm speaking personally now and not for the board, but what is included in addition to the above is OK as long as filling the form out does not get cumbersome. As to handing off from pilot to pilot and having the form include that info I don't see a problem in keeping it simple. If you are an intermediate pilot receiving from and handing off to another pilots I believe all that you need is a space for each of their names and contact info. I suggest strongly that the sending and receiving rescues and the animal name and or description to be included. The pilots who transfer to one another should get each other's signatures as validation of completion of your leg.

If we lived in an ideal world the form could be used by all parties to the transport and each party could provide their personal information and those responsible for originating the transport could provide the data relative to the animals. That document could flow via email to all involved parties, be updated as required and downlloaded and printed ad the transport master document.

I use email almost exclusively because to use the PNP site for the countless messages that have to be sent is not fair to other site users. My transports usually do not involve other pilots, but I may have many dogs on board coming from multiple rescues and places going to another equal number of rescues and places. Yesterday I picked up a pup in Knoxville, two more in Sparta TN, and delivered the three to three different resscues in Chicago. I would like to see us have a form that handles the multiple situations we encounter.

I am reading the documents relating to our 501c3 status tonight. I will post here relevant information because we want everybody that does transports to have the opportunity to maximize the benefits of that, and to insure that the record keeping and reporting assures them of no issues with the IRS. If we have some CPAs on this site I would appreciate input from the tax preparer's view also.
Jon

Postby PilotChip on Sun Mar 08, 2009 6:29 pm

Jon wrote:I use email almost exclusively because to use the PNP site for the countless messages that have to be sent is not fair to other site users.

We were recently instructed to keep coordinations and communications on the board instead of through personal emails. So that's why our newest post has email history pasted to it.

Although all information from the original form was to be preserved I have discontinued development of the electronic form until further notice.

Thanks for explaining the technical details :idea: :mrgreen:
Rescue Blog Facebook
PilotChip

Postby Jon on Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:04 pm

From an IRS point of view, the need for transport has to be posted on this site, and the response from pilots also has to be posted. That qualifies the transport as done "for" pilotsnpaws. All of the countless details regarding the best airports, timing, phone numbers are likely best done via email for both privacy reasons and because there is always a flurry of communications until the final schedule is set and all players are on board. The more rescues involved (for multiple animals or loactions) or more pilots the greater the amount of communications.

Once all the parties for a transport have acknowledged on this site the IRS becomes satisfied. After that the details are between all parties.

Even though pilotsnpaws is a bulletin board, or an online meeting place for rescues and pilots, and has no involvement in scheduling, coordinating, arranging, or otherwise getting involved in a transport, a fact made clear to the IRS in the application, pilots volunteering through the pilotsnpaws site can treat the expenses as tax deductible contributions which is the reason for the process of posting and responding as outlined above.

The form will be the proof of the contribution, with the on line posting to serve as the request. This was important because not all rescues are 501c3 corporations and this allows every transport, regardless of whether the rescue is a tax exempt organization to be deductible.
Jon

Return to "Pilot Talk"