Transporting large dogs

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Transporting large dogs

Postby msankaran on Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:16 pm

I have a question for pilots who have some experience in transporting dogs. How does one get a large dog (think Lab or larger) into the back seat of a small low wing plane like a Piper Warrior? I am assuming, perhaps incorrectly, that the crate would be so large and heavy (with the dog in it) that I would not be able to fit it in the plane, and that I would have to persuade the dog to get up on the wing and then get into the back seat. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Mahesh
msankaran

Re: Transporting large dogs

Postby artsmonster on Sun Jun 13, 2010 12:31 am

Easy My friend. You put it together inside the plane. One half at a time. I have an Arrow, and even being larger you cannot get the large crate in unless you put it together inside. Good luck, and thanks for helping our furry friends. Artsmonster...
artsmonster

Re: Transporting large dogs

Postby DaisysDad on Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:09 pm

Another option is loading the crate first and using the baggage door to load the dog. Soft-sided crates are easy to load and assemble but not always suitable for an excitable dog.

Warning: my own Doberman preferred to help pilot the aircraft. In such a case I recommend loading the crate with the door facing aft then loading the dog through the baggage door. After the crate door is secured, slide the crate aft to block the crate door against the aft cockpit bulkhead. My Dobie was an escape artist who could open a full-sized, airline approved crate by arching his back and head-butting the crate door which I discovered while setting up for an ILS when he bounded out of the baggage area into the back seat of the Arrow on his (attempted) way to the front seat.
Steve
Sarasota, FL

"saving one dog may not change the world, but surely the world will change for that one dog"
DaisysDad

Return to "Pilot Talk"