My first rescue flight

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

My first rescue flight

Postby herbfuchs on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:15 am

I just returned from my first rescue flight, transporting Sandpiper (now Sandi), a yellow lab, from KSIF to KLOU, and then returning to KRDU. It was just a great experience, and an incredibly sweet dog, with great people on each end to make the rescue happen. I put Pilots N Paws animal rescue flight in the remarks section of the IFR flight plan and several controllers did ask about it. I also listed Pilots N Paws on the online registration form for the KLOU FBO. On my arrival, I got an enthusiastic greeting from the FBO staff, who had gone onto the website to find out about PNP! Sandi was a phenomenal ambassador for the program, greeting everyone who walked by. I even got a very nice email thanking me for my business at the FBO, and commenting on PNP! I was a little nervous about my first flight, particularly since it was so very cold, but everything went well. Sandi was a great passenger, sleeping for much of the flight. It is a very fulfilling experience to be able to do this, and I hope to get many more chances in the future.

thanks,

Herb Fuchs
herbfuchs

Re: My first rescue flight

Postby admin on Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:23 am

herbfuchs wrote:I just returned from my first rescue flight, transporting Sandpiper (now Sandi), a yellow lab, from KSIF to KLOU, and then returning to KRDU. thanks,
Herb Fuchs

Herb, you are a hero! The words you just shared give all of us in rescue that incredible feeling of YES, another one saved! Thank you for transporting Sandi to safety and it was wonderful to read that the FBO and the controllers were interested in what you are doing.

I sure hope you took photos? Please send them to me at castle_ridge@msn.com , along with the rescue group names and the story behind Sandpiper so that I can post them to the website.

Great job and same goes to all the pilots who are helping animals get to where they need to go for their chance at a loving family!

Debi
admin
Site Admin

Postby richclover on Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:46 am

My wife and I flew our first today... Well, maybe not. We adopted a stray Aussie Shepherd from a county dog pound 4 years ago. We flew him home that day and he's been flying with us ever since. Today's passenger was a 75-lb pit bull who turned out to be a real gentleman! :)

We will, on future flight plans, always list the "Dog on Board" in the remarks section. Excellent idea. Of course, for a PNP flight, we'll list Pilots N Paws Dog (or whatever), Rescue Flight.
Rich
Evanston, WY
richclover

Postby N7655W on Tue Feb 03, 2009 5:20 pm

Herb,
Congratulations on your first rescue mission. What a great idea to list PNP in your flight plan.

Jeff
N7655W
N7655W

Postby ccameron on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:46 pm

Herb,

I'm very happy for you and glad you are a PNP member! I also remember my first flight and yes, it is a great feeling. Best wishes for many more happy flights!
ccameron

Return to "Pilot Talk"