READ THESE ANNOUNCEMENTS BEFORE USING RIDE BOARD
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

IMPORTANT INFO FOR RESCUES!

Post by admin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:57 pm

I know that all of us in rescue are extremely grateful to the pilots for their generosity in our quest to help animals in need. Having said that, I would like to remind rescues of a few things that need to be considered when sending an animal on a flight.

1.) Please make certain the animal has been given the appropriate vaccinations. This is important for everyone's safety.

2.) If this is a medical flight, please ask your vet for his permission for the animal to fly. They will also need CURRENT health certificates in most cases to be able to cross state lines. Please read the FAQ for rescues at the top of each page of this forum board for a link to the USDA regs for each state.

3.) DO NOT bring an animal to a pilot for boarding who is covered in ticks and fleas. This has happened recently and is not a way to show our appreciation. Ticks harbor diseases, particularly those in the south who can be infected with Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever. Please be considerate of your pilot spending hours in a small cockpit with the animal you have made the request for. This is something all of us can take care of prior to sending an animal on a flight.

4.) Please be prompt when meeting a pilot at the designated airport. Offer to walk your dog/animals and offer to help the pilot load them. It is suggested that you not leave the airport until you are certain the plane has taken off. On the receiving end, please be ready and waiting for their arrival. If you would like to track the progression of the flight, ask the pilot for his tail number and then go to http://www.flightaware.com and enter the number under tracking. This way you can see how the flight is going and if it appears to be staying on time. Rarely does a pilot have to turn around but it does happen and if you are monitoring his flight you can see that if it occurs.

5.) IMPORTANT!! If a pilot has worked with you to schedule a volunteer flight and your plans change, or even if you suspect your plans "might" change with regards to sending an animal, be courteous and email or call your pilot. They make the time for you and you need to make the time to contact them directly, not just on the forum board, and notify them of any possible delays or cancellations.

Thank you everyone and let's keep working together to make a difference!!

Debi

Chardog26

Re: IMPORTANT INFO FOR RESCUES!

Post by Chardog26 » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:14 am

Hi, Jon and all:
I just registered with the group and am interested in some additional information..perhaps it is listed somewhere that I haven't yet found.
I am with a North Jersey rescue group and we routinely arrange transports for dogs from the southern states, mostly Georgia via vans and volunteers. How many dogs can a typical plane/pilot accommodate? Do they need/want someone to travel with the dogs? Would we need to be able to tell them the departing airport and date or do the pilots arrange that? (I know the airports in this area) How much advance notice is needed when requesting a transport? Are there any costs that we need to know about in advance?

Many thanks for any help you can offer. This is a great thing.

Charlene

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: IMPORTANT INFO FOR RESCUES!

Post by admin » Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:03 pm

Hi Charlene,

I am not Jon, he was off doing another rescue flight today and I will do my best to answer your questions.

" How many dogs can a typical plane/pilot accommodate?"

This depends on the type of plane. I would feel safe in saying that most planes can accomodate 2 animals who are in the up to 20 pound range. The size of the plane dictates what size crates can be used and that then determines what size animal can fit. For example, Jon has a Cessna 210 which normally has six seats in it. He has removed the center seats to open up space for a large crate or various sizes of large, medium and small crates. He often puts 2 animals in a crate together as long as those two know each other and are compatible. It is not uncommon for him to transport 5-8 pups. Michele transported close to 16 puppymill pups in her plane. They were all very small and several could share a crate. Ken has an experimental plane and he only had room for one small dog in a crate so it varies. You will need to ask each pilot what size and how many they can accomodate.

" Do they need/want someone to travel with the dogs?"

Again, it depends on the situation. There are times when a larger dog cannot be crated but will be harnessed with a safety harness to the backseat. In those situations, a pilot may want a critter wrangler along with him. Totally the pilots call and he/she will let you know. If the dogs are crated, then typically no, the pilots do not need someone with them.

" Would we need to be able to tell them the departing airport and date or do the pilots arrange that? (I know the airports in this area)"

Pilots will work together with you to decide. They must monitor the weather and that is a deciding factor, along with work schedules, as to which day is chosen. There are various sites where you can lookup airports in your area and offer choices to the pilots. They will be the ones to choose according to air traffic, fuel availability, and types of approach. I personally think it saves the pilots a little research time if the rescue making the request takes the time to look for airports and sends the pilot a list. Here are two sites that you can use to locate airports:

http://aviationtoolbox.org/old/nearby_airports

http://www.airnav.com

"How much advance notice is needed when requesting a transport?"

As much advance notice as possible. Those of us in rescue need to remember that pilots are totally controlled by weather. They make the judgement call on what day appears to be the best for a flight. Always remember that this can change at the last minute so you need to be prepared for a weather delay or possibly even a mechanical delay. A back-up plan is always a good idea. Communication with the pilot is paramount.

" Are there any costs that we need to know about in advance? "

There are no costs that you need to know about. Pilots are giving their time and their resources to help you. If you are a 501c3, please let the pilot know and offer them a donation letter if they would like one. We are in the process of seeking a 501c3 status for Pilots N Paws. When that is finalized, the pilots working with you through this board should be able to utilize that status.

Many thanks for any help you can offer. This is a great thing.
Charlene[/quote]

Thanks Charlene, we think this is a great thing too!

Debi