DONE Pilot support needed, San Carlos MX, post-Jimena

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85735
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

DONE Pilot support needed, San Carlos MX, post-Jimena

Post by arizonabsd » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:51 pm

I apologize if my post is out of line on the Ride Board. This is where the pilots check most frequently so I took a chance that they will see it here. This request for help is directed to western states pilots, many of whom fly to coastal towns in Mexico and are familiar with the area, but anyone is welcome to help.

I've been receiving reports from the Red Cross and messages from radio operators in my beloved San Carlos. SC is the 2nd hardest hit by Jimena, tho it had been downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it hovered over that community. THERE IS NO PART OF SC THAT DIDN'T SUSTAIN DAMAGE. The highway between Hermosillo and SC remains closed, and flights will be the only way to get relief in. Their needs are still being examined (food, water, hygiene items, water treatment tablets) but with a reported 90% of homes and businesses having some degree of damage, the community's need could be great.

If you want to make yourself and your plane available for a run, please email me and I will start putting the list together and coordinate with World Care in Tucson for delivery to your plane; if you're a pilot from out of town, please consider using RYN rather than AVQ for landing and loading. Cruz Rojo in SC will coordinate folks on the ground on their end so that people/trucks will meet you. The hitch is that no runway is yet cleared and evaluated at either SC or Guaymas so trips aren't likely to begin today. To save time later, please include plane model/color/cargo capacity/tail number, and your cell number and home airport in the email. If you can't help for a week or so, I'm sure it would still be needed then. I didn't take the time to look up those airport IDs but perhaps one of you could do that and add it to this post for everyone's convenience.

If you own property in San Carlos (as I do/did) it may be in the Sea of Cortez by now (as mine is) but we can try to check on it for you if you provide the address. If you have a boat docked/in storage/at a slip, you can give me its name and location and that too can be checked asap.

Jimena hit Mulege while still a hurricane and it's rather devastated but the Coast Guard and Baja Bush Pilots are on it, and report that they have sufficient planes at this time. The mid-Baja was also slammed but BBP has relief pilots scheduled from SoCal. The gray whale birthing grounds at the Loreto Estuary is destroyed but fortunately the whales and their calves returned to Alaska already. That seems to be the only good news.

I'll post the link to photos and video in a few minutes for anyone interested.

Thank you,

Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
(& Sea of Cortez devotee)
[email protected]
Last edited by arizonabsd on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:52 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lynnette Bennett
[email protected]

arizonabsd

Re: HELP! Pilot support may be needed, San Carlos MX post-Jimena

Post by arizonabsd » Sat Sep 05, 2009 5:35 pm

UPDATE:

Civil Defense is doing all possible to clear the roads of debris but they won't be doing any rebuilding at this time. Guaymas expects to have a runway clear by 5 PM Mountain Time.

American citizens living part-time or full-time in San Carlos are taking care of each other and urging that attention be focused on Empalme instead of on them. In Empalme, all the homes are under water. The San Juan Orphanage in Guaymas is in an isolated area and underwater too. Estimations of the homeless are now 15,000-19,000 between San Carlos, Guaymas, and Empalme.

For anyone planning to fly down, there are injured pets that can return to Tucson for vet care. The Nogales AZ shelter is trying to free up some space to accept uninjured pets, which owner can drive up to retrieve in the coming weeks. I say "return to Tucson" because most of these dogs and their owners are from the US.

Lynnette
Lynnette Bennett
[email protected]

arizonabsd

RE: Pilot support may be needed, San Carlos MX post-Jimena

Post by arizonabsd » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:13 pm

MuttsMom wrote:Hi,

If you'll edit the subject line to have what city/state they are leaving from and the city/state they need to get to, the pilots will able to know at a glance if they are in the area. Many don't have time to read all the posts that don't have the correct info in the subject line.

Best wishes!
Thanks Nancy... I tell Rescues the same thing all the time. I didn't include a "from" and "to" because it's not in the US, and writing out the city, state and country would have used up all the available characters in the subject line.

Instead, I kinda counted on the fact that pilots within flying distance would recognize the village I named if they vacation there themselves, or if they fly Mexico airspace, both of which many Southwestern pilots do. We've known all week that Hurricane Jeminez was coming, so that name too would be quickly recognizable to those pilots in this part of the country who might help. Hopefully it saved pilots elsewhere some time, as I wouldn't expect them to read the post based on the subject.

Thanks for the good wishes, I'll gladly pass them along.

Lynnette
Last edited by arizonabsd on Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
Lynnette Bennett
[email protected]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:47 pm

Lynnette,

This is devastating news. I am sorry to hear about the tremendous loss and the urgency to get aid to that area is of course ok to post to this board. If anyone can help, I am sure they will.

Debi

arizonabsd

Post by arizonabsd » Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:41 pm

Thank you so much, Debi. Yes, it is devastating. High winds tear at Cabo and Mazatlan frequently but never has a hurricane or storm come up this narrow sea with such force that it wrecked protected bays and coves to the degree this one has.

The good news is that flying clubs from AZ, NV, CO and NM are on board to shuttle supplies southward and return with pets northward. I think a few PnP pilots will be joining some of them when they're back from holiday. I'll mark the post FILLED but won't delete it, just in case others may want to join in the next couple weeks while there's still an on-going need.

Lynnette
Lynnette Bennett
[email protected]