FILLED Pup needs ride from Topeka, KS to Williamsburg, VA

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
Merit

FILLED Pup needs ride from Topeka, KS to Williamsburg, VA

Post by Merit » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:16 am

Hello,
We are trying to bring a 4-month old rescued Dobe-X from (ZIP 66860) Topeka / Kansas City or Emporia, KS to her forever home in Williamsburg, VA (23188). I would be incredibly grateful if someone could fly or drive her closer to the eastern seaboard ;). I will be more than happy to get her from any airport within a 5-hour driving range of Williamsburg: Williamsburg (KJGG), Newport News (PHF), Richmond (RIC), Norfolk (ORF), D.C. - Dulles (IAD), Philadelphia (PHL), Raleigh (RDU), Cheraw, SC (CQW), Columbia (CAE), to name a few.

Warmly,
Merit
PS: For more information on the pup, please see:
http://www.petfinder.com/petnote/displa ... d=14491019
Last edited by Merit on Sun Sep 13, 2009 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

N5036W

Re: Pup needs ride from Topeka, KS to/near Williamsburg, VA

Post by N5036W » Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:31 pm

I am not able to get your pup that far. I can get the pup from the Emporia/Topeka, KS area as far east as St. Louis, MO or Little Rock AR . If you can have someone else carry the pup from one of those places or someplace between those two. I am limited to Sundays and Mondays and the weather has to be pretty good (VFR) along my route.

chrisblair

Post by chrisblair » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:27 pm

I may be able to assist you in your request.

I have broken the trip into 4 separate legs. That way you may be able to pinpoint a pilot for each section. If you post each individual leg you will get a much greater response from pilots. I have done many Angel Flights and thats how they do it and they get pilots to cover legs with great success.

Leg One: Original Departure point to St. Charles, MO
Leg Two: St. Charles, MO to New Albany, IN.
Leg Three (which I can do): New Albany, IN. to Beckley, WV.
Leg Four: Beckley, WV to Destination

Breaking it down in this fashion means that most pilots will fly about 260 miles with the animal, not including their transit time to pick up the animal and then get back home.

Hope this helps, let me know what you come up with.

Thanks, Chris
Pilot, based Big Sandy Regional Airport, Prestonsburg, KY (K22)

Merit

Post by Merit » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:51 am

Terry and Chris, Thank you so much for your prompt responses and generous offers to help us bring our pup home! Beckley, WV is 4.5 hours from us - so I can definitely directly pick her up from there. That way the last two legs would be covered. So this leaves us with Topeka to New Albany, IN via St. Charles, MO.

Terry, would St. Charles, MO instead of St. Louis be a possibility? Or, is St. Louis to New Albany, IN similar in distance? Could we possibly substitute St. Louis for St. Charles? Alas, I wish I knew more about the mid-west and the advantages and disadvantages of flying into bigger / smaller airports etc. I feel too uninformed to be constructively planning this endeavor ;)

chrisblair

Post by chrisblair » Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:33 am

I read ur reply and I understand what ur saying about flying into certain airports. Generally, pilots prefer to stay away from the VERY LARGE airports as they sometimes have landing fee's and higher fuel and it takes a lot of time to obtain clearances and so forth. I try to stay away from larger airports cause I like the freedom of pretty much doing what i want at the smaller airports.
With that in mind, when u plot ur transport just break it down and list the airport that is easiest for YOU to plan the flight, EVEN if it is a larger airport dont worry bout it cause the pilot himself will look for the smaller "satellite" airport that generally surrounds the larger airport.

I have emailed the administrator explaining to him how much better it would be if everyone could post "legs" instead of the start and end point. I mean, my gosh I can ALWAYS do "part" of a transport of just about any transport listed, BUT I cant email everyone or else i would be emailing people 24/7.

I'm new to this page and quite frankly i have some difficuly navigating around, so if u need to contact me email me directly at [email protected]

Thanks, Chris
606-793-1065

Merit

Post by Merit » Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:56 pm

I just sent an email to everyone involved in this mission to your personal email accounts, but am updating this to share the progress with whomever might read the posts and try to help. At this point, we have almost filled this incredible trip across half the US - thanks to the generosity of Chris, Terry, and Danita. All we need now are one or two volunteers to keep Betty over night in St. Louis and potentially New Albany, IN. AND, we need a pilot volunteer to transport our pup from St. Charles, MO to New Albany, IN. THANK YOU!!!!!!!

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85735
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by arizonabsd » Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:39 pm

Merit wrote:I just sent an email to everyone involved in this mission to your personal email accounts, but am updating this to share the progress with whomever might read the posts and try to help. At this point, we have almost filled this incredible trip across half the US - thanks to the generosity of Chris, Terry, and Danita. All we need now are one or two volunteers to keep Betty over night in St. Louis and potentially New Albany, IN. AND, we need a pilot volunteer to transport our pup from St. Charles, MO to New Albany, IN. THANK YOU!!!!!!!
Merit,

You needn't wait for pilots to read your post and contact you. You can email those pilots along your route and directly request the leg(s) you need filled. You can also use the PnP Volunteer map to see what's available for ground support, and email them directly too.

Good luck; this one is really coming together!

Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]