COMPLETE!!! DESPERATE FOR TRANSPORT 9/19 (VA to AL)

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
CoastalWGSD

COMPLETE!!! DESPERATE FOR TRANSPORT 9/19 (VA to AL)

Post by CoastalWGSD » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:11 pm

Hello,

My name is Casey Speas and I am the co-founder for Coastal WGSD Rescue Referral. We have a foster dog, Asia (not listed on our site yet) that was rescued from a home that had 19 dogs INSIDE the house and that had never touched grass or been outside for over a year. Asia has been safe in foster in MD for about 3 weeks and is fully vetted. The foster has had some personal issues and can no longer foster Asia. We have an approved adopter in Harpersville, AL that is ready for Asia, but she is limited on how far she can drive.

Asia is being dropped of to me on Saturday, 9/19 and I am not in the position to foster her or even overnight her. I could board her somewhere, but in light of her horrible beginnings and the fact that she is now housebroken and blossoming, I really hate to do that.

My personal GSD just had TPLO surgery on Friday and I have two other dogs of my own. Needless to say, I am already challenged with segregating my own dogs due to this recent surgery. I am DESPERATE for help and for me to drive her would take 11 hours, one way with NO stops.

There is much more to the story, but I will get to the point. I reside in Sandy Hook, VA and was curious to know if you had anyone in this area that could help us get Asia to her forever home. I know, it is ridiculously short notice, but I thought I would at least reach out, as Asia deserves that, even if it is a long shot. I am more than willing to drive a reasonable distance to meet a pilot that could get Asia to her forever home.

Anxiously awaiting your reply,

Casey Speas
Long & Foster Realtors
http://www.caseyspeas.com
Email: [email protected]
Direct: (804) 387-2450
Last edited by CoastalWGSD on Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85735
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: DESPERATE FOR TRANSPORT 9/19 (VA to AL)

Post by arizonabsd » Thu Sep 17, 2009 9:34 pm

Hi Casey,

There is a lot of information about using PNP, such as how to route trips, locate airports and pilots and more. But since your need is urgent, I'll just give you the short version now, and perhaps we can catch up later....

Pilots need to see originating city and state and destination city and state IN THE SUBJECT LINE. They say they won't open and read posts if they don't know what transport is needed. They also aren't very responsive to words like desperate, urgent, etc, because in truth most requests could be described that way. Use as much as the subject line as possible to give info pilots can use in determining whether they can help you. You can change the title by editing your post.

Most pilots contribute about 300 miles; you need to know the distance of your trip and divide it by 300 to determine how many pilots will be needed to fly 300-mile legs. Then use the PNP Pilate Location Map to find pilots near you and along the route; email them directly instead of waiting and hoping someone sees your post in time.

Rescues are responsible for all ground support, including getting dogs to and from airports and arranging overnight fostering. Those contacts are needed along the route in case of weather delays and emergencies too. Check the PNP Volunteer Map for possible assistance and contact them by email or phone to save time.

Hope this helps. My fingers are crossed for you.
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]

CleoBen
Zip Code: 45338
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KVES

Post by CleoBen » Fri Sep 18, 2009 8:18 pm

Casey,

I searched AOPA's airport database, and couldn't find an airport within 350 miles of Sandy Hook, Virginia. Are you near a medium to large city or a known airport that potential pilots could use to evaluate the feasibility of a transport?

CB
Based at KCID in Cedar Rapids, Iowa. My range is about a 250 mile radius around KCID - Roughly defined by a circle including Green Bay, WI; Twin Cities, MN; Sioux Falls, SD; Lincoln, NE; Topeka, KS; St Louis, MO; Indianapolis, IN; and Benton Harbor, MI.

Kottmyer
Zip Code: 20723
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KHEF

Post by Kottmyer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:58 pm

Assuming it left from Louisa County Airport (LKU) (which seems to be a reasonable distance from Sandy Hook) and went to Sylacauga (SCD), which isn't too far from Harpersville, that's 525.3 nm, according to DUATS.

Sandy Hook is west of Richmond; Harpersville is sort of east of Birmingham. I can't do any flights for the next few weeks, but I thought I'd contribute that much info (which I got from Mapquest, so I guess it's accurate).

It would also be helpful for pilots to know how big this dog is, or at least his breed.

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Sun Sep 20, 2009 3:29 pm

It would be better if you put city/state leaving from and city/state going to like suggested. Also, the breed, how big, how he/she is with other dogs. We're going from Huntsville, AL - Terre Haute, IN to drop 10 dogs off at a no kill, then on the way back, stopping in Russellville, KY to pick up 1-2 border collies, one being a senior and then to Huntsville, AL and then back to Orlando where the pilot is from. Transport is happening tomorrow, but a lot more info is needed as the other poster said.

CoastalWGSD

Re: COMPLETE!!! DESPERATE FOR TRANSPORT 9/19 (VA to AL)

Post by CoastalWGSD » Fri Sep 25, 2009 3:57 pm

I just want to say THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for all of your posts providing me with very useful info as to how this resource board works...I promise to be more diligent in future posts...As to where this transport originated, Kottmyer was right on the money! Thanks again!

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85735
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No

Post by arizonabsd » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:18 pm

I'm thrilled for you Casey! Nothing is more satisfying in rescue than placing a dog in a REAL home. And now Asia has one of her very own! For me, spreading the joy by sharing the experience with pilots and volunteers on the ground makes it even more rewarding.

May you have many more PNP successes,
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]

Jon

Post by Jon » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:24 pm

Casey, I hope you can find some pilots to help.

When you post the pilots tend to look only at the subject line, so put in the starting and ending cities and zip codes. Don't worry about airports because the pilots can figure stuff like that out.

Your distance (if the above post is an accurate distance) looks like it might be a relay type transport, but it also looks like the pilots involved might alsdo be able to find some pups for the return. Hang in there.

You can help by looking on the pilot map on the home page of the site and sending a personal email or PM to all the pilots listed that are near the start and end points as well as along the path in a straight line. If you do that and you correct the subject line you will be doing just about all you can do.