DONE-transport cancelled-sr doxie needs ride from TX to SC

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
nurselynbo

DONE-transport cancelled-sr doxie needs ride from TX to SC

Post by nurselynbo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:07 pm

I am with Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue, and have a 15 year old dachshund that needs a ride to his forever home near Greenville SC. He is blind and deaf, but still spry for his age, with no other health problems. Due to his age though, ground transport would be too much for him.
I'm new, so please let me know if you can help, and what I need to do to help.
Thanks,
Lynn Swann
Last edited by nurselynbo on Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Debi
Co-founder
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: sr doxie needs ride from TX to SC

Post by Debi » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:31 pm

nurselynbo wrote:I am with Coast to Coast Dachshund Rescue, and have a 15 year old dachshund that needs a ride to his forever home near Greenville SC. He is blind and deaf, but still spry for his age, with no other health problems. Due to his age though, ground transport would be too much for him.
I'm new, so please let me know if you can help, and what I need to do to help.
Thanks,
Lynn Swann
Hi Lynn,
Welcome to the Pilots N Paws. The first thing I would suggest to you is that you list the city and state for both the departure and arrival points. This is very helpful for pilots and other transporters who are looking over the requests. It is a long distance from Texas to Greenville, SC. Most small plane pilots have a fly out range of approximately 300 miles so this trip would likely require more then one pilot. Important to keep in mind that pilots are very controlled by the weather and it is not unusual for a pilot to postpone the trip. You can also look through the Pilot Offer board and contact pilots privately who are listed along the route to see if they might be able to help you out.

Another suggestion would be for you to look at the Commercial Aviation forum board here and see if any airline associates can help you out. Many have volunteered and this is where I would suggest all requests look when asking for a long distance flight. We are all here to assist you so please feel free to ask any questions.

Debi

nurselynbo

Post by nurselynbo » Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:05 pm

Hi Debi,
Thanks for the welcome, and for any and all suggestions. I just saw that I didn't put in the post where I am. I'm between Dallas and Shreveport, so either area would work for me. I have PM'd a pilot out of Dallas, and we will be keeping in touch, and also a pilot out of Greenville SC. If I don't hear from him in a few days, I'll try someone else between here and there. I don't know how far it is from Dallas to Greenville, so I don't know how many legs this may take. I tried to Google it, but it gives you highway miles, and that sure doesn't apply! This transport is not urgent, but it would be nice if the old fella could have his forever home for Christmas. His adopter will be having surgery sometime after the first of the year, and it would be good if they could get settled in together some before that too.
Thanks again, and thanks to all of you for this wonderful thing you are doing to help the animals!

jmartino

Post by jmartino » Thu Dec 18, 2008 8:52 am

Hi, I am considering taking some kittens and a dog to Austin/Houston.I may be able to bring you dog back to Ga.If I go I will be stopping in Carthage for fuel since they have the best price in tx.I may do this on Monday ,22nd.since the weather looks good.How big is your dog?Please let me know,thanks John.

nurselynbo

Post by nurselynbo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:13 am

Hi John,
Koko weighs about 14 pounds, maybe a little less. He's a miniature dachshund, slightly overweight. Would it be possible for him to travel in his own cage? It's one of those metal ones, 24" x 18". I could meet you in Carthage, that would be great. Where in Georgia will you be going? As soon as I find that out, I'll see if I can make arrangements for someone to meet you, and take him from there.
Thank you so much!
Lynn

jmartino

Post by jmartino » Thu Dec 18, 2008 9:43 am

HI Lynn,I am based out of Peachtree City,just south of Atlanta.Can you tell me the exact height,length and width of the carrier.The widest I can fit into my canopy opening is 18".

nurselynbo

Post by nurselynbo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 10:14 am

Hi John,
It's 21" high, 24" deep, and 18" wide. I can bring a smaller plastic dog crate with me, I have one that is 18" deep, 12" wide and 12" tall, and if the other won't work, we can use that one.
I'll get to work on having someone to meet you to pick him up. Is the airport you go to in Peachtree City? Is that where I should have them meet you? Let me know when you will be there, even an approximate time, for now.
Thank you!

jmartino

Post by jmartino » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:20 pm

Lynn,please bring the smaller carrier also,It's probably the one I'll need.My airport is Peachtree city.I can go to a few other local airports if you can't find anyone in my area.As far as my return time it's hard to say but I would like to be back by 6:00 pm when it gets dark.John.

nurselynbo

Post by nurselynbo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:49 pm

John, I sent you a PM, with my contact info. I'll get back to you as soon as things on the other end are set up.
Lynn

nurselynbo

Post by nurselynbo » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:14 pm

I just found out that we won't be able to do this after all, the adopter is quite ill.
Thank you so much for your offer of help, John.
I'll let you know if anything changes, but I don't think it will.