Rapid Descents

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Rapid Descents

Postby Jon on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:40 am

I don't know how many of the pilots are encountering crossing altitudes or controllers that are not familiar with our aircraft and descent profiles, but lately more often than not I find controllers keeping me high until close in to my destination. To answer the obvious response which is to ask for lower, let me assure you I am assertive and will do that, but the controllers apparently have a reason not clearly understood by me, and their response to requests for lower is often answered to make the request to the next controller.

Specifically, I often get a clearance to cross 30 NE of Knoxville (the airport) at 11,000. My ground speeds dictate a 1000 foot rate of descent from there and that is an ear popping rate without pressurization (which I have). Even with pressurization I have to manage power to maintain pressurization and to prevent shock cooling so the descent is difficult.

Telling the controllers I am carrying animals often gets me a slower rate down, and I am learning to "play the system" by asking for lower when a greater distance out so I cross 30 miles out at 8000 for example. I have also cancelled IFR if I sense I am going to get a slam dunk and weather permits.

My point is we are more capable of tolerating conditions such as fast descents, but be aware our passengers of the furry kind may not know they should chew gum or swallow.
Jon

Re: Rapid Descents

Postby JERRY S. on Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:31 pm

Jon,

NY APP expects light aircraft to get to their assigned altittudes as quickly as possible. I found 2 things help. First putting PNP animal rescue flight in remarks section of the flight plan. Second as u are getting handed off the the approach controller let them know a head of time you have animals on board & rapid decents can hurt their ears.
Just finished a flight w/ 8 pups & amom & the controller gave me a nice 200-300 ft/min decent, with a smile(never before would that of been possible).

Thanks for the tip.

Jerry
JERRY S.

Postby steve on Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:55 pm

Jon and Jerry:

Sounds like a good idea to include in the IFR flight plan under remarks: "Animal Rescue Flight". ATC does look at the remarks section. I ferried an aircraft a few years ago to the Steven Hazy Smithsonian Air and Space museum at Dulles airport. I put in the remarks section "Ferry to Smithsonian, Last Flight Forever More". Every center and approach controller I was handed off too, inquired about the flight. I have put "Animal Rescue Flight" in my remarks section on my transport flights and also received the same level of interest from ATC. A heightened level of interest sometimes translates into enhanced service. A few direct routings and early descents would be much appreciated by our "furry" passengers.

Steve Clegg
steve

Postby admin on Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:53 pm

steve wrote:Jon and Jerry:
Sounds like a good idea to include in the IFR flight plan under remarks: "Animal Rescue Flight". ATC does look at the remarks section. I ferried an aircraft a few years ago to the Steven Hazy Smithsonian Air and Space museum at Dulles airport. I put in the remarks section "Ferry to Smithsonian, Last Flight Forever More". Every center and approach controller I was handed off too, inquired about the flight. I have put "Animal Rescue Flight" in my remarks section on my transport flights and also received the same level of interest from ATC. A heightened level of interest sometimes translates into enhanced service. A few direct routings and early descents would be much appreciated by our "furry" passengers.
Steve Clegg

Steve, I know that Jon and others have used "Pilots N Paws Rescue Animal Flight" in their remarks. If you use Pilots N Paws terminology along with rescue animals then the ATC becomes familiar with what Pilots N Paws does every week. Always helpful to get the name out there for all of us.
Debi
admin
Site Admin

Return to "Pilot Talk"