UPDATE: EMERGENCY, 10 DOBES STOLEN in Johnson City, TN!!!!

A place for rescues to chat about rescue work, animals, transports etc.
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

UPDATE: EMERGENCY, 10 DOBES STOLEN in Johnson City, TN!!!!

Post by admin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:46 am

Normally we don't have these kinds of requests but this is a true alert from one of our Pilots N Paws friends who saves countless animals, most of them Dobermans. Here is what was just sent to me. Please everyone, keep your eyes open on Craigs list, other dog for sale sites, and crosspost widely! Here is hte email I just received:

"Tammara Josslyn in Johnson City TN called frantic. Someone just broke into her Doggie Day care and stole 10 of her Dobermans. Some were her personal dogs, and some were rescue dogs. Her niece was watching over the place and confronted the men, one of them dropped the dog he was carrying and ran after her, if I understood correctly she was cut before managing to get away. Not all of the dogs were microchipped, and not all of them were spayed or neutered due to medical reasons. Poor little Blush, the girl that was thrown off the bridge, who was still recovering from her ordeal was stolen.

Yesterday a man stopped by asking her about buying one of the dogs. She said he seemed shady and they told him none were for sale. They suspect he is the one that did this horrible thing. She asked for me to get the word out to everyone that I knew. Please spread the word and let’s pray that these babies will be found and returned safely. They can be seen at her Petfinder site Canine Hope All Breed Rescue, Johnson City, TN http://www.caninehoperescue.org

Please contact Tammara at [email protected] or call her 423 773 8113 immediately if you see anyone suspicious with these dobes or know where they are. 10 dobes are not easy to hide and many of them are still in need of medical care!!"

Debi/Admin

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85746

Re: EMERGENCY, 10 DOBES STOLEN in Johnson City, TN!!!!

Post by arizonabsd » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:12 pm

Since most rescues don't log in unless they have a transport, we who check the boards more frequently should be able to help spread the word to other PNP rescue members in states adjoining/surrounding TN. It's doubtful that the thieves have any clue how organized rescue in general is, or how vast our reach. Let's use our tried and true system to make it impossible for them to get very far with these dogs stolen from one of our fellow members.

In addition to our own breed rescue groups, PNP member rescues in the following states need informed: TN, KY, VA, WV, GA, AL, MS, AR, MO, IL, NC, SC.

I'll start with TN and KY and post when it's done. If other rescues online would each speak for 2 or 3 states, and then post when done, we can do this pretty fast. There isn't a way to get everyone's email without using introductory posts and the volunteer map to access profiles so that will have to do.
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue Jan 19, 2010 3:35 pm

Thank you Lynette.....I can send out an email blast to all our members, I just wasn't sure how well it would be received but under the circumstances, and what all of us do to save animals, I will send an email.

An update as of this afternoon. There were actually 14 dogs stolen. 12 dobies , a lab, a min pin, and a mixed breed. There is a also a reward being offered. Fortunately, the niece who startled the robbers required some sutures for the injury she received but she is going to be physically fine. Emotionally, no one is fine. One of the dobes needs meds for his pancreas to be able to eat and digest food, one of the dogs has been blind since birth, the list just goes on. These are ALL rescue animals in various stages of care before finding their adoptive homes.

I agree with you that these people likely are unaware of the length of rescues "arms".....Another news interview will be done this evening and aired along with a posted reward. I hope they just drop them off in a populated area but my fear is that this will not happen. If they can break in an injure a human without a seconds thought, well, they are not human themselves.

Thank you to all who are spreading the word. I will have photos later tonight of each of the dogs and will share those when I receive them.

Debi

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85746

Post by arizonabsd » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:27 pm

Excellent! Thanks Debi. There's good media coverage and hopefully it will be over soon.
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]

Liza007
Zip Code: 02563
Airport identifier: 2B1

Post by Liza007 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:38 pm

"I Rescued My Dog' on facebook has sent out emails to group members and I can tell you that we are all working tirelessly to help you Debi.

All rescues that I am aware of have posted information! GREAT idea to blanket email all of us here. I think it took 5.3 seconds for all of us to get to work. I know within the facebook community there is a huge network of crossposting and emailing.

I so hope that these kids are found in one piece. I have plenty to say, none of it nice or productive pertaining to the perpetrators, so I will keep my mouth shut. Suffice to say, the words used were not 'G' rated.

Please keep us informed via the blanket email system through HERE Debi (if you don't mind) While facebook is a lovely tool, it can get convoluted with misinformation (however well meaning)
Respectfully,
Liz

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:08 pm

Here is the latest update. I did speak with Tammara about an hour ago and so far, none of the dogs have been recovered. We will all keep trying. Below is a link for the TV coverage and I will also share a link with photos and descriptions of each of these dogs. If we keep the word out there, hopefully they will be found. Thank you all for caring and helping a fellow rescuer.
Debi

News Report
http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/loca ... ity/39334/

Public facebook link with photos of the dogs stolen
http://www.facebook.com/note.php?create ... 7574194807

Website for Tammara's rescue
www.caninehoperescue.org

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Wed Jan 20, 2010 2:36 pm

This e-mail is going through all of the rescue community. I've gotten it no less then 10 times from different contact groups and was also posted on the border collie rescue board. I hope the idiots that stole them know just how many of us in rescue are out there looking!!

Liza007

Post by Liza007 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Debi,

I wanted to forward an email I received from a member of our group "I Rescued My Dog" (I had sent out a blanket email to our membership that included your originating email from here as well as the page set up on facebook.
Early this afternoon I sent a plea to the FBI hotline and also forwarded all the information possible to their tip line.I requested that they use their surveillance satellite data,etc. to see if they can make out anything to help find the dogs and their dognappers.I dont know if it'll help or not but its worth a try.I also forwarded all the info to the chanceller at University of Tennessee.Hopefully he will put a internet alert out to their veterinarian Alumni.To finish out my efforts ,I also forwarded all the info to every city hall within 100 miles in hopes of getting the word out at a down home level.Hoping somebody involved in any of the above saw or heard something.what a terrible thing to have happened!Thanks for sharing.if I can think of anything else I can do to help I will do it.
steve

Another of our membership responded:

Hi Liz, I posted this article on Examiner.com So people will be on the lookout for the dogs here in Kentucky. I pray that these thugs don't abuse those dogs.

http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-1134 ... essee-Dogs

If I hear back from either of these people with pertinent information I will contact you immediately

Liza007

Post by Liza007 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:19 am

ok, reaching a bit here...

There are reports of shelter animals being stolen in Cynthiana, KY which is only 300 miles north of Johnson City, TN.

Perhaps widen the search area? Seems a bit coincidental that these 2 incidences happened within 24 hours of each other.

Merit

Post by Merit » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:03 pm

Steve,
I think contacting the veterinarian alumni is an excellent idea. It might be advisable to inform universities with veterinary / medical tracks in the area, just in case these people try to obtain shelter animals in bulk to sell them to the university system - which (at $250 a dog if I remember correctly) seems more lucrative than a 'puppy mill side business.' Shady, but it wouldn't be the first time.
If the thieves intend to breed Tammara's pups, I expect the altered dogs to appear on local flea-markets (along 85) within the next few weeks - esp. since craigslist is no longer an option for them.