UPDATE: EMERGENCY, 10 DOBES STOLEN in Johnson City, TN!!!!

A place for rescues to chat about rescue work, animals, transports etc.
second chance rescue

Re: EMERGENCY, 10 DOBES STOLEN in Johnson City, TN!!!!

Post by second chance rescue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:30 pm

They now seem to be reporting that this is an ALLEGED hoax. Also that all three have been arrested or charged with animal cruelty(2 owners and the caretaker). Do we have any more current and accurate info? More importantly where are the dogs?

Alicia Alkire

http://www2.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/police_
search_for_alleged_dog-nappers_in_johnson_city/39334/

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

UPDATE: EMERGENCY, 10 DOBES STOLEN in Johnson City, TN!!!!

Post by admin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:31 pm

First, let me thank ALL of you for coming together, networking and working towards finding these missing dogs, I am very proud to be a part of the rescue community.

The fact remains that 13 dogs are still missing. Unfortunately, the niece lied about "how" they disappeared. The media's language disregards that fact, saying the story was "made up". Yes, the way they disappeared was made up but the fact that they disappeared is still a fact! Many believe that the niece knows what happened to the dogs. Hopefully, she will come forward with the remainder of the truth if she does know.

Regarding the animal abuse charges. The truth will come out in time.

I have been in contact with the TN state representative of the HSUS. She called me yesterday, offering assistance. She knows about these charges and her focus remains on finding the missing dogs. As has been stated here, other dogs have in fact been stolen from shelters not that far away. I was told by the state rep that animal theft has been rampant in TN. So, where are the missing dogs? And who will take the dogs that were confiscated today and sent back to the shelter, many who have been there before?

Just devastating on so many levels. Please continue to focus on finding these animals and if anyone has room to take in the animals who were confiscated today, please get in touch with the Johnson City Shelter. Hannah is the rescue representative there.

Thank you all again for working so hard to locate these dogs.

Debi

second chance rescue

Re: UPDATE: EMERGENCY, 10 DOBES STOLEN in Johnson City, TN!!!!

Post by second chance rescue » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Great response Debi, and thanks for being quick. It is important to try and get the accurate info before everything gets too carried away. Yes, the most important question is " Where are these dogs? " To be abused and exploited again is just unfathomable.

But as a reminder(for myself included) these people have saved hundreds if not thousands of lives and have the ability to save that many more. My prayers are with the innocent and hopefully the truth comes quickly.

Alicia

neen91878

Post by neen91878 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:14 pm

One of the dogs that was in the rescue & was not "taken" was a dog that I had "adopted" from a kill shelter in SC. I am in the Philadelphia area and contacted Tammara at Canine Hope about helping in picking up the dog from the shelter & was told that she would get the dog & house it at her facility until a transport could be arranged. As of earlier today, I was told that our dog was at her facility and not taken. I later spoke with the Johnson County PD & was told that the 8 dogs at Canine Hope/Cool School for dogs were removed and taken to the Johnson City Animal Shelter. I am DESPERATE to get our poor pup transported to the Philadelphia area to us all safe & sound. I will post on the board for transports but I don't know how I would find someone to get our pooch from the shelter to an airport since the only person who was willing to help is no longer available to do so. If anyone has ANY suggestions, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. I do not want to give up on this dog that we saved just last week from being put down to now be back in a shelter to face the same fate again. She is a friendly, sweet 40lb dobie mix. Please help!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:44 pm

neen91878 wrote:One of the dogs that was in the rescue & was not "taken" was a dog that I had "adopted" from a kill shelter in SC. I am in the Philadelphia area and contacted Tammara at Canine Hope about helping in picking up the dog from the shelter & was told that she would get the dog & house it at her facility until a transport could be arranged. As of earlier today, I was told that our dog was at her facility and not taken. I later spoke with the Johnson County PD & was told that the 8 dogs at Canine Hope/Cool School for dogs were removed and taken to the Johnson City Animal Shelter. I am DESPERATE to get our poor pup transported to the Philadelphia area to us all safe & sound. I will post on the board for transports but I don't know how I would find someone to get our pooch from the shelter to an airport since the only person who was willing to help is no longer available to do so. If anyone has ANY suggestions, I would greatly, greatly appreciate it. I do not want to give up on this dog that we saved just last week from being put down to now be back in a shelter to face the same fate again. She is a friendly, sweet 40lb dobie mix. Please help!
Our Doberman group is aware of the dobie mix and I think she is on our list to pull when they release the dogs to rescue. I will give your contact information to our intake coordinator. As I understand it, the AC showed up this afternoon and took the remaining dogs which is why your pup was still there this morning. Will be in touch, we hope you can still get your girl.

Debi

arizonabsd
Zip Code: 85735

Post by arizonabsd » Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:30 am

There's been quite a turn of events. Police charged the woman who reported the break-in/ theft with filing a false report, as well as with animal abuse after she told them she made the story up because she'd been neglecting the dogs. The owners of the facility have also been cited for animal abuse, and Animal Control has confiscated all dogs on the property. If there actually were dogs missing, they haven't been located yet.

http://www.johnsoncitypress.com/News/ar ... p?ID=73462
Lynnette Bennett
North American Belgian Sheepdog Rescue
[email protected]

Lori Brooks

Post by Lori Brooks » Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:28 am

Update on Article: Jan 21, 2010

Worker Admits Dog Theft Story Was Made Up

This week an employee at Cool School for Dogs in Johnson City told police someone broke into the business Tuesday, attacked the employee and stole several dogs.

Today, Johnson City police arrested that employee, Ashli Thomas, and charged her with filing a false report. Officers say she admitted to making up the story because she left the dogs unattended and had not been caring for them properly.

The Washington County animal shelter says it has removed nearly 20 dogs from the business. They tell us some of the animals are not healthy. However, officials also tell us that none of the dogs that were reported stolen are included in the group now at the shelter. Officers say the do not have any details as to the whereabouts of the alleged missing dogs. The investigation is continuing.[/color]
Ashli Thomas, along with the owners of the business, are charged with 8 counts of animal cruelty.

(You can only hope this employee will tell everyone what she did with the dogs! I know a few people who wouldn't mind persuading her.)

jdcpilot

Post by jdcpilot » Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:43 pm

Cynthiana, KY is only 144 NM from the Johnson City, Tricity area of NE TN
Jim

Liza007
Zip Code: 02563
Airport identifier: 2B1

Post by Liza007 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:59 am

With reference to the Cynthiana KY shelter break in, the dogs and cats were found safe:
http://www.wkyt.com/home/headlines/82973052.html

Now we just need to find the TN dogs. Don't suppose we have any good news on this?