fly-in logistics

Promote and discuss fly-ins, and form Pilots N Paws "clubs" in your area.
davidtg

fly-in logistics

Post by davidtg » Sun Jan 31, 2010 11:02 pm

Hi, all --

Has anyone ever scheduled and/or coordinated a fly-in? Any idea what is typically required? Although a public airport is, well, open to the public, it seems to me that things are more likely to go smoothly if we work with the field instead of just descending en masse (which is its own sort of other fun :-) In addition to folks dropping from the sky there is the whole matter of the ground-bound visitors showing up, too.

Here's what comes to mind, just from the top of my head. I'm sure the list is much longer than this :-) but it's a start.

- Coordination with the local FBO, who may want to have extra staff on hand to deal with fueling, other services, and general questions.

- Ground parking arrangements for non-flying attendees.

- Volunteers (follow-me golf carts?) to direct planes arriving and departing (esp if it's an untowered airport) and generally answer questions.

- Coordination with local rescues to have pets in need on hand for a ride to a new home as well as to care for pets in transit while pilots chat a bit. Maybe a vet on site, too.

- Spreading the word -- advertising, pet store contacts, rescue contacts, flyers/posters at neighboring airports, etcetc

- Maybe catering vendors to feed and quench the mob and who might donate a portion of the proceeds to PnP and/or the local rescues, or least a lot of water.

- Getting Debi & Jon to show up, of course :-)

What else? Follow up and I'll update this top posting.

TIA & HTH & HAND
Last edited by davidtg on Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

emartin

Re: fly-in logistics

Post by emartin » Tue Feb 02, 2010 7:44 am

Normally you contact the airport manager,or the FBO,tell them when and how many.They are usually happy to take care of it.Good publicity for the airport and they get to sale fuel.

davidtg

Post by davidtg » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:57 am

Edward --
emartin wrote:Normally you contact the airport manager,or the FBO,tell them when and how many.
[snip]
That's cool; thanks. That should take care of room for planes and FBO staffing, and maybe ground parking. Will they handle flying traffic control, too? Then all that's left is probably spreading the word to other airports, coordinating with local animal support, and feeding the masses.

Thanks!

staylor4
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KGPH
Distance willing to fly one way: 50

Post by staylor4 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:02 pm

I would think AOPA would have information on how to set up a fly-in.

davidtg

Post by davidtg » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:57 am

Good morning!
staylor4 wrote:I would think AOPA would have information on how to set up a fly-in.
True enough, and thanks. I thought I'd start with local information :-) but AOPA and nearby EAA chapters are also on my list of good places to go.

HAND

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by admin » Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:40 am

davidtg wrote:-

- Getting Debi & Jon to show up, of course :-)

What else? Follow up and I'll update this top posting.
TIA & HTH & HAND
LOL, well I don't have a plane so that might be difficult unless it is within driving range! We do have a couple of PNP pilots that I personally know have set up fly-ins before. One imparticular has been in charge of the EAA fly-ins in Charlotte, NC for a few years. He is presently on leave due to some medical issues so I don't know if he will be able to read your post David. I can ask him privately for his advice if you would like?

Starting with the FBO and asking them if they have had previous experience with these would be my first stop. If we would not have been included in the fly-in at Triple Tree, I was going to go to the owner of KGMU and work with him to set up a fly-in there. Fortunately for us, at Triple Tree we just need a head count prior to the date and then show up! They have a temporary radio tower set up for the private flyins....so far it has worked well so here's hoping it will on June 20th too! Mark your calendars, more information will be coming forward soon. FYI, I can drive to this one :D

Debi

emartin

Post by emartin » Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:28 am

Claremorw OK,last Sat of the month,Airport Manager,Chris just wants to know how many.1100-100.But I cant find any piloys who seem interested.Seems like a lot of work for nothing.This is becoming embarassing.Free food,A 5000ft runway,what else could you want?