[DONE]Longmont/Denver Colorado area -- temp foster needed

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
CarolC
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

[DONE]Longmont/Denver Colorado area -- temp foster needed

Post by CarolC » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:50 pm

We are transporting this recently injured dog from Nebraska to a sanctuary in Utah, flying over the mountains. We have a pilot Nebraska to Longmont (near Denver), and a pilot Longmont to Kanab, UT. We hope to do it this week.

The pilot say when weather is fair on one side of the mountains, it is often bad on the other side, so we need a temp foster lined up in case the dog cannot be carried straight through in one day. Denver was suggested.

This dog is friendly and can walk (wobbly).

Please do not hesitate to ask for more info, we will not assume you are definitely volunteering just because you inquire.

Thanks!

please excuse double post
Last edited by CarolC on Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gimble

Re: Longmont/Denver Colorado area -- temp foster needed

Post by Gimble » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:49 pm

Is the dog (small) kid-friendly? House trained? Cat-neutral? Size? Any known destructive tendancies (digging, for example)? Crate trained?

CarolC

Post by CarolC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:05 pm

Thanks for your questions. I emailed cricketsmom (who has the dog) and will share the reply as soon as I hear back. Thanks again! :)

CarolC

Post by CarolC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:42 pm

Here is the reply:
Betsy, the vet tech caring for the dog wrote:Ed used to live with a family that has two small children. I'm not sure of their ages, but I know the father said his wife and kids were the ones that had the most relationship with their dogs. He likes to lean on people sometimes, so I'd be careful that he doesn't knock over a small child by accident.
He has kept his kennel clean and been going potty outside ever since he got back on his feet (he had a few accidents before he started walking again), but I don't believe he was ever allowed in the house.
I tested him with a cat, and he seemed mostly unconcerned.
He is about 77 pounds, but he's a little skinny so he's long and tall.
I don't know of any destructive tendencies since he's been in the kennels for the duration of his stay. We put blankets in his kennel and he hasn't chewed any up. But since he is only a year old, I would watch out for some puppy tendencies just in case.
I don't believe he is crate trained, since he was free out on the farm with his prior owners, but he has done fine in the kennels at the vet clinic.
Hope this helps a little.

Betsy

Gimble

Post by Gimble » Sun Feb 21, 2010 10:45 pm

I'll volunteer to keep the dog for a few days if needed. We're in Longmont, so it's probably a good match for your needs. Can't do really long-term stays (multiple weeks) because it would be unfair to my own kids.

CarolC

Post by CarolC » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:09 pm

That is wonderful! Hopefully it won't be necessary, but they were wanting a temp foster for backup. I need to give you the email contacts for the group, so I will email you those in just a few minutes. Thank you so much! :)