Official FAA Callsign

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

Official FAA Callsign

Postby mdoss on Sat Apr 17, 2010 3:44 pm

I saw an old post on this topic, but I'm wondering what we need to do to move forward with getting us an official callsign???

It would make flights easier to track, and help with advertisement and publicity.

Anyone have suggestions for 3-letter identifiers, and telephony (callsign)?
"PNP" is already taken by Pineapple Air out of the Bahamas...
Marc Doss
N592HP (Cessna 150)
KOLV (Olive Branch, MS)
mdoss

Re: Official FAA Callsign

Postby Jon on Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:01 pm

If we ever get one I want Bow-Wow.

The issue is the FAA requires a certain number of documented flights per month. We have no reporting system since PNP is a bulletin board. Until we can document monthly the required amound of flights we will not be granted a call sign.

I always file IFR and I always put in the remarks section "PNP animal rescue flight".
Jon

Postby PilotChip on Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Is it possible for pnp.org to develop a database with a pilot-only log in system where we can enter flight information after it has been completed?
If each pilot participates it will surely document our activity; furthermore, it can be used for compiling statistical data and creating/viewing reports! :idea:
Jason Chipkin | Long Beach, CA (LGB)
Rescue Blog Facebook
PilotChip

Postby Jon on Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:52 pm

There is a way to do it if we can get though our priority list of web site and forum changes we need to make.

I spoke to an FAA rep in Tampa in November and what we need to do is file via the PNP forum, possibly linking through a site such as Fltplan.com and always having PNP in the remarks section. That type of flight plan filing then gets entered and tracked through the FAA computers. I may have some of what I just said wrong, but the jist is unless we document it via our own trip coordinators (not possible the way we are structured) we need a flight plan filer that can do the reporting for us.
Jon

Postby PilotChip on Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:14 pm

So, in theory, could you file a VFR flight plan on fltplan.com and never actually open it through FSS?
Jason Chipkin | Long Beach, CA (LGB)
Rescue Blog Facebook
PilotChip

Postby Jon on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:43 pm

It's been a long time since I filed a VFR flight plan, so I cannot answer that question for sure, but surmise someone in ATC or FSS has to open it.
Jon

Postby jim4flyn on Tue May 11, 2010 11:11 am

I wonder if it would be worth a shot even not having the numbers. I believe Advisory Circular AC120-26J addresses assignment of call signs. There may be something different for non-profits, but if this is the correct advisory circular in section where it gives the minimum numbers for scheduled flights it also states "Aircraft operating companies and/or servicing agencies, that do not demonstrate minimum criteria, may apply for a waiver of these criteria with Headquarters, Flight Services Safety and Operations Support, and still be awarded a three-letter designator or telephony designator. The waiver must be deemed advantageous to the U.S. Air Traffic Control (ATC) system and operationally appropriate by the FAA. Waivers are authorized on an individual basis."

So would it be worth while to file for a waiver? I am sure we could come up with some way to argue that a call sign for Pilots N Paws would be advantageous to the ATC system. The call sign itself may also help some in creating some statistics. It would also open up tracking some flights on sites such as flight aware.

I like the suggestion of a tool for pilots to enter their flights, maybe in a secure area. Having numbers down the road may be advantageous to PNP in applying for grants or funding. If you are interested in putting something together I am willing to help. I am by no means a good programmer, but I am a server guy familiar with a lot of web apps and would be happy to help set something up if we can find something open source that would work already out there.
jim4flyn

Postby Jon on Tue May 11, 2010 12:23 pm

You may be on to something Jim. How would you recommend we proceed? I know a lot of pilots would like a call sign to designate our rescue transports.
Jon

Postby jim4flyn on Tue May 11, 2010 2:10 pm

Jon I think you may have asked the million dollar question in how we proceed. I think first of all before we go any further it would be good if as many people as possible would read AC120-26J. Here is a link to it http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAdvisoryCircular.nsf/list/AC%20120-26J/$FILE/AC120-26J.pdf . I am no expert on interpreting Advisory Circulars, but it sounds the relevant AC and I hope it is the right path. Lets see what others think.

Here is what I can come up with from reading the advisory circular and my thoughts of possible steps in the process.

1. We need to determine if we really want to go forward and if we have the blessing of the Pilots N Paws organizers.

2. We need contact info for and need to talk to the FAA. According to the AC we need to start the process with an FAA Service Area Office. I have not been able to locate a list of "Service Area Offices", but maybe a FSDO could point us in the right direction. It is my understanding that the "Service Area Office" would forward the waiver to "Flight Services Safety and Operations."

3. We need to come up with what to say in the wavier. It might even be a good idea to start a thread to brainstorm on this. How will granting Pilots n Paws a call sign be advantageous to the ATC System. From reading the AC we need to mention things like:
a.) How this would be an improvement to ATC Communications.
b.) Reduction of Frequency Congestion
c.) How it would have a significant impact on on ATC.
d.) Show that at least 3 or more aircraft are used.

It might not be a bad idea to gather some basic statistics to include in the waiver. Maybe if we could just throw together some numbers from the completed flights forum for a few months or maybe even include some numbers from the PNP 5000 or similar events.

4. What the FAA Needs to process the application is listed in Section 8 "Documentation" of the AC. Here is the basics (I use the same letters they do so refer to the AC):

a.) Name and Address of Company, Contact Personnel and Phone Numbers
b.) For PNP the type of service proviced
c.) C discusses NADIN and I think we can answer a NADIN connection is not needed.
d.) D also deals with NADIN so I guess the answer would be zero or n/a.
e.) E is flight / operations schedule. Not sure how we would answer this, but maybe discuss how PNP flight or organized and refer to the website.
g.) Provide 5 suggested the three-letter identifiers, and telephony designators in the order desired. This should be the fun one, maybe a thread for this too..
jim4flyn

Postby Jon on Tue May 11, 2010 3:45 pm

Jim, You have the blessing of the PNP organizers. I'm one of them and I believe I speak for Debi also. She is out of town, but may be monitoring, and if so she will agree. I believe I am correct in saying our board is also supportive of PNP having its own call sign.

We know we have numerous flights, we just have no clue how many. I know I do around 3 or four every month.

I do know being identified to ATC as an animal rescue will eliminate the need for us as pilots to ask for gradual descents. I will look up the advisory circular and see what I can learn.
Jon

Next

Return to "Pilot Talk"