need transport for rescue dog Houston-Dallas

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
dogsindoha

need transport for rescue dog Houston-Dallas

Post by dogsindoha » Sun May 16, 2010 9:42 am

Hiya,

I tried to post a post earlier, but it disapeared....

I`m looking for someone who could take a rescue-dog from Houston-Dallas , probably on the 18th or 19th of May.
He will be coming from the Middles East where I run a rescue for Saluki`s
I would really appreciate any help.....

I`m sending on a regular base Saluki`s from Qatar -Doha to Houston , but this time i don`t have anyone who could help me to get him to Dallas.

Please if you could help me out, my Email is : [email protected]

Thanks!!!!

Birgit

www.dogsindoha.weebly.com

suzy
Zip Code: 29860
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: need transport for rescue dog Houston-Dallas

Post by suzy » Thu May 20, 2010 9:05 pm

Hi Birgit,
We are not quite sure what you are asking. If you are asking for help with getting the dog from overseas, PilotsNPaws is not set up for international flights. If you still need help and it involves flights within the U.S., please post another question.
Thanks,
susie Cobb
PNP Advisor

dogsindoha

Post by dogsindoha » Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 pm

Hi Susie,

No I need help with getting the dog from Houston to Dallas.
If anyone can help me out that would be great!!!

Thanks,

Birgit

suzy
Zip Code: 29860
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by suzy » Fri May 21, 2010 1:47 pm

Hi Birgit,
The first things you need are the zip codes from the sending and receiving rescuers and the weight of the dog. Then go to "Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport". Click on "New Topic" at the top left. In the subject line, put something like this: Houston to Dallas, Need a Ride for (dog's name or breed).There are spaces for the zip codes. You can elaborate more in the message area, but try to be concise. Then submit your post--submit button is on the bottom of the message.

After your message comes back up, click on "Map This Request" in red , top left. This will bring up pilot info for pilots along the route. I have found that it is quicker to send out individual e-mails to pilots. They respond faster to e-mails. Scroll down on the left until the little airplane symbol appears next to a username. These are the pilots. The blue baloons are foster volunteers. I just start with the first pilot's username and click on it. This brings up their profile on the right. Click on "View Profile" This will list their e-mail address bottom left. Click on that and send them an e-mail. In the subject line be sure to put PilotsNPaws Request-Houston to Dallas. I usually word mine like this: Hi, We need to get (dog's name) from Houston to Dallas to a rescue. (Dog's name) weighs __ pounds. Can you help? (You could also add if you have a time frame in mind). List your contact info, name, e-mail, phone numbers, rescue affiliation, etc. Copy what you have written before you send it. I always keep notes as to who I send the e-mails to because it's easy to get confused. Then go to the next pilot on the list, follow the same pocedure and when you get to the message of your e-mail, just paste in what you have written before. This makes it go much faster.

I just keep e-mailing pilots. Sometimes I'll send out 10-20 e-mails. Eventually, I'll get an answer that someone can do it. Sometimes I'll get several replies. And sometimes I have to go back to the list and send out more.

Once you have a pilot, then you can work personally with that pilot. PNP will furnish free crates and harnesses to pilots if they just request them from co-founder Deborah Boies at [email protected]

Someone needs to meet the pilot at the airport with the dog and someone has to be there to meet the plane to pick up the dog. The pilot will need everyone's cell numbers. The dog needs to travel with a health certificate showing proof of rabies vaccine. Pack a little plastic bag with some dog food, water bottle, a container for the dog to drink out of (like an old cottage cheese container), some paper towels for the pilot in case of accidents or air sickness. And don't feed the dog before flying. Also, if the dog is on medicine, send that with instructions and time of last dose.

Keep an eye on your posting by clicking on "View My Posts" at the top of the index page. Sometimes pilots will respond there. Also, when your trip is done, go back and edit your posting by clicking on "edit" and put DONE in the subject line and your message.

There is a lot of information on the PNP index that will tell you all you need to know if you have the time to read it. But if you need further help, let us know. I'm sorry we didn't respond earlier, but I will keep a closer check on this forum.

Good Luck!
Susie Cobb
PNP Advisor