1 dog, Bethune, SC to Wilkes-Barre, PA, ASAP

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
k9crazy

1 dog, Bethune, SC to Wilkes-Barre, PA, ASAP

Post by k9crazy » Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:57 pm

This is my first post, so forgive me if I forget something. Peanut, a 25 lb. senior Boykin/Springer spaniel mix, needs a ride from Save the Strays Animal Rescue (located in Bethune, South Carolina, zip 29009) to his approved adopter in Pittston, PA. (Adopter's zip is 18641; she is near the Wilkes-Barre, PA airport and she or her dad can pick him up there). Both rescue and adopter are flexible about day of flight - can be a week day or weekend; just need a few days' notice to coordinate at both ends. We would like to get him home within the next week or two, if possible. Peanut is very sweet but very scared of strangers, so we want to keep him crated during transport; hence, would prefer to fly him. Rescue is willing to travel several hours to departure point. We are about 1 hour from either Columbia or Florence, SC; about 1.5 hours from Charlotte, NC; a little over two hours from Mooresville, NC.. We are a 501c3 organization, if that helps. Please email Sandra at [email protected] if you can fly Peanut to his forever home. Thank you!
<map:29009-18641>

mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCPK
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: 1 dog, Bethune, SC to Wilkes-Barre, PA, ASAP

Post by mchutto » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:00 am

This is a long trip for a single flight. A handoff between two flights would be better. Does he have any fear agression? That could make transfer from one crate to another difficult. If not, I might be able to transport him from SC to VA if someone can take the other leg of the trip. Or, I could probably take him from VA to PA if somebody can get him to VA. Saturday looks like the best weather. It's going to require some planning so lets start early if there is someone willing to team up on this.

Marty

James Pyke

Post by James Pyke » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:59 pm

I could do Camden SC to Farmville VA KFVX

JIm

k9crazy

Post by k9crazy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 3:14 pm

We have had an offer from Steve to fly from Concord, NC to Hazelton, PA, this weekend, weather permitting. If weather prevents Steve from going this weekend, he won't be available for awhile. In that event, Save the Strays would be very grateful if Jim and Marty could split the trip as soon thereafter as their schedules and weather permit. THANK YOU, all, for your interest in helping Peanut get to his new home. I will post again whether this trip does or doesn't happen this weekend.

Sandra

k9crazy

UPDATE: Still need ride for 1 dog, SC to Wilkes-Barre, PA, A

Post by k9crazy » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:02 am

First, I want to thank Steve for his incredibly generous offer to fly Peanut from NC all the way to PA. Unfortunately, the smallest pet taxi into which Peanut will fit is too large for Steve's plane.

Peanut is very scared of strangers and will bolt if he get loose. So he MUST be crated before loading onto the plane and must remain in the crate until he is safely home with his new owners. He will fit snugly into a plastic pet taxi that is 18" wide by 25.5" long by 17" high (outside dimensions).

I will email Marty and Jim, whose posts appear here, to see if they can accommodate Peanut. Anyone else who can do so and is willing to provide transport, would love to hear from you, too.

Thanks again, everybody. I know this is a labor of love and want to recognize all that you do!

Warmest wishes, Sandra
Save the Strays Animal Rescue

k9crazy

Latest on 1 dog, Bethune, SC to Wilkes-Barre, PA, ASAP

Post by k9crazy » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:43 am

Jim Pyke ([email protected]) is available to fly Peanut from Camden SC to Farmville VA (or thereabouts) any time from Thursday (1/22) through the weekend (1/25). We are now looking for someone who can fly Peanut the rest of the way to Wilkes-Barre PA within that time frame (weather permitting).

To recap: Peanut is a 25-30 lb. senior Springer/Boykin spaniel mix. He is scared of strangers and would bolt if he got loose, so he MUST be crated from the time he leaves SC through his delivery to his adopters. (They can uncrate him when they get him safely home.) Save the Strays will provide the crate. The smallest crate into which we can fit him is 18.5" wide by 25.5" long (largest outside dimensions, at point where the two halves fit together) by 17" high. So we need someone with a plane that will accommodate this size crate.

I have Jim's phone number, which he said I can provide to any pilot who can/is interested in flying the second leg. To try to speed things up a little, my phone number is 843-334-8427. Please feel free to call me if you can help or have questions. If you prefer to email, you can email directly to [email protected].

Thank you, all!
Sandra Dollar, Save the Strays Animal Rescue

James Pyke

PILOT NEEDED BETWEEN FARMVILLE VA AND WILKES BARRE PA

Post by James Pyke » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:16 pm

Pilot needed between WilkesBarre PA and Farmville VA Saturday 1/24 Part of a relay from Camden SC to WilkesBarre. Somebody must want to fly up north this weekend....Call Jim to arrange southern leg Camden SC to Farmville VA. I've been trying for a week now to arrange..........

Jim Pyke
704-604-1776
KIPJ
N-3LY

DJK3737T
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: KFDK

Post by DJK3737T » Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:32 pm

I can keep this in mind as a back-up if the flight I currently have planned Friday gets scrubbed for reasons other than bad weather down South or a mechanical accident.

Depending on crate dimensions, etc., I might be able to pick him up on my way back from Lumberton, N.C. with two other elderly dogs, but we'd need to get all that nailed down. I'm only planning to go as far as FDK, where the other two are going to be handed off, and don't know that I'd be able to make another flight to AVP after that.

I'll keep an eye on this post and check the dimensions of my baggage door in the meantime. I'm still trying to find out whether my other two passengers are going to be crated, or just harnessed in the back seat.

-- DJK

DJK3737T
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: KFDK

Post by DJK3737T » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:41 am

I just sent Jim an e-mail on this. IF I can fit his carrier (I still have to measure) and coordinate a change of plans on my other transport, I might be able to take him all the way up to Wilkes-Barre and hand off the other two dogs there, as well. It would help if we could meet in Lumberton, N.C. (KLBT) rather than Farmville, especially if it's IMC, but we can negotiate. I chiefly want to safe the time for the additional ground stop.

I'll keep everyone updated as things develop. Best,

-- DJK

k9crazy

UPDATE: 1 dog, Bethune, SC to Wilkes-Barre, PA, ASAP

Post by k9crazy » Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:26 pm

Peanut was flown to his new home on Saturday, Jan. 24th. Details are posted on the "Done: Transports Completed" board. Thanks to Jim Pyke, David Kenney and Julia McConnell for flying Peanut to his "furever" home in Wilkes-Barre, PA.

Sandra Dollar
Save the Strays Animal Rescue