C172 Transport Question from a Newbie

A place for pilots to chat and exchange information about their planes, flying, transports, etc....

C172 Transport Question from a Newbie

Postby grodolph on Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:20 pm

I typically rent Cesnna 172s, and I am interested in doing some PnP transport flights. Any advice on how best to configure a rented 172 for transport? I think that back seat removal is out of the quetion, so I am looking at crates in the back seat or cargo area, or perhaps a harness in the backseat. All transports will be within 250 nm of Addison, TX (KADS), so any advice re: rest breaks for the "passenger(s)" would be great too.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
ASEL, AMEL, Instrument Rating
2000 Piper Arrow - N314PW
Based at Addison, TX (KADS)
grodolph

Re: C172 Transport Question from a Newbie

Postby jlspence on Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:22 pm

I've done two rescue flights in my C172, each with one dog. For both I've used a medium sized carrier sitting across my backseat. The carrier I believe would have fit in the cargo area but I wanted to be able to look back from time to time to make sure the dog was OK. I plan on taking some measurements on my plane's backseat and cargo area and doing some "packaging" with various sized crates to see what will fit where.
Jeff S.
Cessna 172/Huntsville, AL - Moontown Airport (3M5)
VFR Only
jlspence

Postby Jon on Mon Aug 02, 2010 8:46 pm

I have received from and transferred to 172s.

If the rear seat remains in place four smaller crates can be stacked (door forward) on the rear seat and secured via ratchet type straps to the seat belts and / or the seat legs. Crates can also be placed in the rear.

The size of the animals carried dictates the number of crates required. A 172 is capable of carrying as many animals as I carry in my P210 because with the seat out in the rear and the use of the baggage area there is as much room as in my cabin with my middle seats removed, somewhat less with the rear seat in place. It just takes some practice finding the right way to stack crates and to secure them, but in reality if needed our planes can carry an incredible number of animals. So far my highest was 23, but we could have done more. It is all about how well the animals socialize and their respective sizes. I can only carry a maximum of three Dobies for example.
Jon

Postby paul8661 on Thu Aug 12, 2010 11:05 am

I've done two transports in my C172. The first was two 40lb boxers, I put them in the back seat and tied their leashes securely to the seats, they fit fine. The second was six mastiff/labrador puppies each about 10lbs. I don't have my own crates and the sending party didn't have any to spare so they improvised by providing 3 plastic storage tubs. They were tall enough so the puppies couldn't get out, otherwise a strip of duct tape over the top would have kept them in. This solution worked great, two tubs fit perfectly in the cargo hold and 1 fit nicely in the back seat. One thing that surprised me during the transports, as soon as I started the engine all of the dogs fell fast asleep; I guess they find the droning and vibration from the motor calming.
paul8661

Return to "Pilot Talk"