CANCELED

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
ksarc

CANCELED

Post by ksarc » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:26 pm

We are a small shelter in SE Missouri and have been tring to move some 25 puppies (not all at the same time) we have a shelter in Lakeland Fl that will take some but have not had much luck in hooking up with pilots. can anyone help Hank
Last edited by ksarc on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Best way to ask

Post by deeogee1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Hank,
Have you posted transports on the Animals Needing Transport forum? Once you have the post up,
Click on the yellow More Mapping Options& a pop up will give you the transport mapped out. Look for :plane: (which denote pilots). Clicking on the icon will bring up that person's info & you can email or PM them from there. Some people also provide a phone number there. Contacting them directly is recommended for the fastest response as there is no guarantee that the person you need will see your post on the board.
:pin: denotes volunteers which you may need for an overnight foster for longer transports.
I hope this helps and good luck.

Joanne

Jon

Re: Best way to ask

Post by Jon » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:05 pm

Hank,

As a pilot I look for a few things to make me want to do a transport. First, I want to fill my plane. Every pilot has his or her own preferences, but mine is to jam the plane full and make the cost of the transport on a per animal basis as inexpensive as I can. Flying is not cheap and for me flying a few pups for example is not an efficient use of the aviation resource.

The second thing I look for are rescues I deal with routinely. Just like rescues want to feel comfortable with the pilots, I want to deal with rescues I will feel comfortable with. By flying for rescues with whom I have established a relationship I know I can trust them to be there on time with healthy animals that are not going to be a problem for me. I know by flying for rescues I am familiar with that they will have already figured out how my plane is to be loaded and which animals will be crated with others and which will have to be in their own crates.

Getting to develop a relationship with pilots is hard. Contact nearby pilots and ask them what criteria they use to determine which missions to fly. Ask them what posts or emails they respond to. I do know I cannot say no to a request from the rescues I routinely fly for. BTW, when we started I had to beg rescues to give me a chance to fly pups on transports that would have taken 8 or 10 car legs to do, so the key on both sides of this coin is to get to know one another.