IMPORTANT REMINDER FOR RESCUES MAKING REQUESTS!

This Forum contains guidelines and helpful tips contributed by Pilots N Paws members to help with the rescue transport process.

IMPORTANT REMINDER FOR RESCUES MAKING REQUESTS!

Postby admin on Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:37 pm

Hi all,

Thanks to all of you for joining the Pilots-N-Paws group. Working together to save these animals and get them to a safe haven is the goal we all want to achieve.

I felt that I needed to point out that some of the distances you are requesting are simply too far for one small plane pilot to accomplish. I have the average distance stated under guidelines but I feel it needs repeating.

When we think of planes and flying, most of us have jets in mind and picture going across the country in four hours. Well, true, in a large jet you can. But most small planes fly at a little over 100mph, have limited fuel capabilities and therefore the distance they can travel is much shorter then a jet. A good rule of thumb is that most planes have approximately a three hour fly out time. This means that from the point of take-off they can fly to a destination 3 hours away. Some planes are a little more, some are a little less. The mileage covered is normally around 200 to 500 miles depending once again upon the plane.

If you are asking for a flight half way across the country, it is likely that no pilot will answer your request. However, if you see by looking at the pilot board that there are pilots listed in various states along the route you are asking for, by all means ask them if they would consider trying to coordinate a multi-leg flight. These are difficult due to varying weather conditions but not impossible. If you do ask, please have temporary fosters available should an unexpected problem arrive with weather conditons or a mechanical issue with the plane. That way, the animal is always assured that someone along the route will be there to care for the animal.

It is our hope that eventually as more pilots join our cause, we will have a pilot in every state who is willing to help. That will ease the burden of these long distance trips giving us more options for doing a rescue flight in stages. Please keep in mind that pilots are totally controlled by the weather of the day and back-up arrangements should always be made "just in case." This holds true for all plane rescue transports.

Please feel free to jump in on this conversation. Maybe the pilots will have some additional ideas and suggestions for these longer transport requests. We are all still learning from each other.

Thanks,
Debi

Site Admin
admin
Site Admin

Re: IMPORTANT REMINDER FOR RESCUES MAKING REQUESTS!

Postby catmd22 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Hi, I am wondering how to find the map with the pilots on it in the areas needed for transport. I found it once before but no idea how and now can't at all. I am looking for a pilot in the Ohio or WI area, Thanks, Cathy
catmd22
MLGSDR
catmd22@yahoo.com
catmd22

Postby admin on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:07 pm

catmd22 wrote:Hi, I am wondering how to find the map with the pilots on it in the areas needed for transport. I found it once before but no idea how and now can't at all. I am looking for a pilot in the Ohio or WI area, Thanks, Cathy

Cathy,

The best way is to first make your transport request on the Ride Board:Animals Needing Transport forum section. You do this by logging in, opening that section and clicking on NEW TOPIC after the transport section opens. You will need both sending and receiving zip codes. Fill out all information including sizes, weights of the animals, contact numbers or email, etc. and then click submit. Put the city and state of sending and receiving in your subject line.

Once you have posted your request, go back and open it and you will see mapping options under your subject line. Click on that and choose the pilots along route option. This will show you all the pilots registered along your specific route. You can then contact those CLOSEST to the straight line of the route via the email feature of this board. Just click on the username of the pilot. You will need to do this for each pilot you wish to contact directly. In the past, we allowed emails to be seen on the board but due to spammers who don't have a life, we have had to modify how you can contact each other. I realize it makes it more time consuming, but it is for your protection. If you choose to put your email and phone number in your message, that it totally up to each individual. Just know that it can be seen by others but for most of us, our emails are easily found anyway!

You can also find a list of pilots by using the map on our homepage but that is very slow loading, so many volunteers and pilots which is great, but tedious at times to wait for them all to load and then search through them.

Hope this helps,
Debi
admin
Site Admin

Postby catmd22 on Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:12 pm

Oh, yes thanks! I will try that. And yes I totally understand about the spammers LOL. Thanks again for your help!
catmd22
MLGSDR
catmd22@yahoo.com
catmd22

Postby N2522F on Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:09 pm

Rescuers:

As a pilot, it helps us when you provide the pick-up and destination airports using the four letter identifier (like KTDF) or at least the airport's name. Since we fly to airports, not towns, it makes it easier for us to plan flights. If you just give us a small town name (like Roxboro, NC or Blue Bell, PA) we have to search the maps for the nearest airport.

This is a good web site to help you find airports: http://www.airnav.com

Thanks.

- Mike Young
N2522F
Mike Young
Comm, Inst, CFI-I
Columbia 400
Based at Apopka Orlando Airport
Mike.Young@cfl.rr.com
N2522F

Postby catmd22 on Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:58 pm

ok good to know thanks although should we still put the city and state in the subject line and then add the airports? thanks
catmd22
MLGSDR
catmd22@yahoo.com
catmd22

Postby love4k9z on Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:56 pm

I am a rescue needing transport of four 20 ish pound dogs from the Dallas, TX area to Orange County, CA or Ontario, CA. Is this too far of a flight between cities to request? I read the average flight is 200-500 miles, but believe this flight is longer.
Thank you for your help!!!
Laura
love4k9z

Postby Bera on Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:35 pm

Thank you for pointing out these guidelines; it helps to keep it realistic. :P
Bera

Return to Guidelines For Pilots and Rescue Volunteers