Is my request too far?

The purpose of this forum is NOT to post or coordinate transports but to mentor those who would like to learn how to utilize the "Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport" features. Volunteer mentors will do their best to answer your questions and share their knowledge and experience.

Is my request too far?

Postby esther3647 on Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:16 pm

We are a small rescue group in Norfolk, VA. We have a 7 yrs old hound who needs elbow replacements. The pioneer of this type of surgery is at the University of Minnesota. We would like to have a consult before subjecting him to this surgery. Is this trip too far?
Esther
Rainbow Animal Rescue
Norfolk, VA
esther3647

Re: Is my request too far?

Postby deeogee1 on Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:58 am

Ester,
Your request is a bit long (@ 900 nm). Most pilots volunteer an average of around 200 nm--although some go more, some less. But for the sake of simplicity, this would take a min. of 4 pilots & most likely require an overnight . On the slight chance that someone is traveling that way, you can post the request in the
Ride Board: Animals Needing Transport section, but you might have better luck with a commercial flight or volunteer ground transport.

Joanne
deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor

Postby Eric27 on Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:11 pm

Rescures, I think most of the pilots looking to help are flying small, single engine planes. If they have a trip from here to there already planned then you might get lucky and be able to get a ride. Some of us are willing to go from here to there, then we have to fly back empty. I'm one of those pilots. I rent a plane and pay by the hour. So I like to reduce my range to about 100 to maybe 150nm. That translates to an hour to an hour and a half each way. When you start looking at a request for a flight keep this in mind. If the transport is going to be a long distance think about overnight stops and layovers that might need to be a day or two. Remember we love to fly and it's great to help save a dog or two, help us help you.
Eric27

Postby thyra2793 on Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:59 pm

Vidalia, GA to Manchester, NH
thyra2793

Postby Eric27 on Sat Oct 30, 2010 1:09 am

My first though is Yes, but if you make your request with several legs it could work. You’re talking about roughly 800 nm, which translates to 8 hours of flying in a Cessna 172. If you plan several legs, each being a separate trip you might be able to get the dog moved. What I mean by this would be at the beginning and end of each leg would be a foster home the dog could stay at for a day or two. This way one pilot could do one leg then maybe a day later another pilot could move the dog to the next. You might get a pilot to do one, two or three of the legs at one time depending on their plane. Or if needed one leg might be a ground transport.

Good luck
Eric27

Return to Rescues, Do You Have a Question about How to Request a Transport? Ask it Here!