Hello to everybody

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
Jon

Hello to everybody

Post by Jon » Wed Aug 06, 2008 12:30 pm

Welcome to the Pilotsnpaws community. Please take the time to introduce yourself and let us know a little about yourself and your interest in helping save animals.

I'll start. I am Jon and I have been flying animals since Feb.2008. I hope we can develop a community of folks from all across the country that can work together to rescue, transport, shelter, and find permanent homes for our animals without homes.

admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Hello to everybody

Post by admin » Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:36 pm

I would also like to welcome everyone to Pilots-N-Paws! We have done our best to create a place where pilots and rescues can come together to help animals in need get a second chance at life. We hope that all of you will share your thoughts and ideas. We can make a difference in the lives of animals if we all work together.

My name is Debi and I have been working with Doberman Rescue for the past few years. I am currently the Intake Coordinator for Doberman Assistance Network,Inc. We are a national group who act as facilitators between shelters and rescue groups to get homeless Dobes into a safe environment. I am also a retired nurse and I raise Morgan Horses.

As Jon stated, please introduce yourselves and once again, welcome to PNP!

lingrado

Post by lingrado » Thu Aug 21, 2008 7:31 pm

Hi all -

My name is Lin Grado and I live in north-cental Texas (moving to north-east Texas in the not-too-distant future).

I have volunteered with Weimaraner and Doberman rescues in the past, but currently split my time (and home) between Greyhound Adoption League of Texas (Greyhounds rule!) and Partnership for Pets, an all-breed group based in Longview, TX (which allows me to rescue and save the shaggy dogs that I also love). I am currently fostering one Greyhound (Cassandra, "C Ya Full House" at the track) and a long-haired Weimaraner (Amanda Faye).

The all-breed group that I foster for often places dogs in other parts of the country, and the adopters are responsible to pay for shipping (or to come to Texas to pick up the dog). Having access to pilots that can help with those transports would make it more feasible for the dogs to be placed in the northeast, for example, where there are often more homes available.

Both groups do vet and reference checks and home visits, and require all dogs to be returned if the adoption doesn't work out.

Debi, thanks for announcing the discussion group, and I'm glad to be here!

Lin in Texas

Debi
Co-founder

Post by Debi » Thu Aug 21, 2008 8:36 pm

Hi Lin!!

Glad to have you here!. Currently, I am aware of two pilots in the Dallas and Houston areas so hopefully if/when your need arises one of them will be available to help you out. One of the challenges we face is that pilots with small planes are limited as to the distance they can fly. When you live in a state as large as Texas, it takes hours before you even leave the state which can present a problem. We hope through networking and discussing various situations we will be able to establish some type of connection between pilots for multi-leg transports.

Please feel free to post any thoughts, ideas or questions you may have.

Debi

vbrady
Zip Code: 29710

Post by vbrady » Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:53 pm

Hello everyone!

My name is Vicki, I am a case worker for Doberman Assistance Network. Working with Doberman rescue has been the most fulfilling endeavors I have ever taken on. My first case with DAN was Ruby, she was transported from Higginsville Mo to Plainfield Il by a wonderful PNP pilot. Thank you Jeff Shultz you are awesome! Can't say enough about how wonderful PNP is!! Thank you guys who give so freely of yourself to help the less fortunate furkids.

Currently, I live just outside of Raleigh and am owned by three rescue Dobergirls and a small terrier mix, a terrier mix that just happened to have the saddest eyes I had ever seen (it was a con..:) ). Occasionaly I pull from shelters, run ground transport, or do whatever is needed to help the homeless ones.

Look forward to working with you all to help save the shelter kids,

Vicki
Vicki Brady
Intake Coordinator

Doberman Assistance Network
www.dobermanassistance.org

Onetailrescue

deleted

Post by Onetailrescue » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:37 pm

deleted
Last edited by Onetailrescue on Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Debi
Co-founder

Post by Debi » Fri Sep 26, 2008 6:09 pm

Hi Justine,

I know exactly where Orville, Ohio is located......I was born and raised outside of Akron, Ohio but my husband and I headed south 28 years ago ;) May I ask where most of your rescue dogs are headed? Do you receive them from other rescues, shelters, out of state?

The reason I am asking is that with our rescue group and with Pilots-N-Paws, we primarily see animals headed from the south to the north. I am wondering if this is the case with most rescues in the north and Midwest.

Thank you for particpating with our group. I would like to get some discussions going regarding how we can improve the program, make connections between pilots and rescues, etc.

Debi

shookshane

Post by shookshane » Sat Oct 11, 2008 10:30 am

Hello PNP Volunteers,
My name is Shane Shook and I live in Atlanta, GA. I saw the article in the AOPA website and thought that this is a perfect way to merge my two passions... animals and flying. I am a licensed private pilot with about 100 hours now but have been flying off and on for about 18 years with both military transports and general aviation. I have a partner-ownership of a 172 here in Atlanta and would love to offer my services to folks in my area or (multi-leg needs through my area) as needed and as possible. It sounds like a worthy cause and I'm looking forward to helping out as I learn more about the practicality of the services. Kudos to the folks guiding this unique organization!

Shane Shook