Pup needs transport from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
gsmarkham

Pup needs transport from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Post by gsmarkham » Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:41 am

Hello... This is Steve Markham from the Oldies But Goodies Cocker Spaniel Rescue and from the Freedom Train (Fredericksburg-Baltimore legs) in the Wash DC area.

I need some help.

Back in August I went to the Dominican Republic to do some scuba diving. I found a puppy on the beach who was dying of malnutrition and mange. I took her to the vet and have been paying a family to nurse her back to health until I can bring her back to the US. They named her Lucky :) She would make a good friend ( I hope ) for my cocker Winston or if not I already have a few people who are interested in adopting her.

She's finally well enough that she can get clearance to come to the US. The problem is that she needs to travel when the ambient temperature is less than 85 degrees which is only Dec-Feb so I need to get her here ASAP. The other problem is that if I send her as cargo American wants to charge about $800. Does anyone know of a cheaper way to fly her to the US...it can be to Wash Dc or New York ( I can drive up there and pick her up)?
If you want to see photos and read the whole story go to:

http://www.smarkham.smugmug.com/gallery ... 2982_WjXWw

You may email me at: [email protected]
or call me
703-307-4952

THANKS!!!

bross

Re: Pup needs transport from Punta Cana, Dominican Republic

Post by bross » Tue Jan 13, 2009 1:58 pm

I just happen to be traveling to the Dominican Republic soon for a conference. I'll be flying American Airlines from Santo Domingo to Miami on January 28th. Assuming you could arrange to have the dog in a carrier and have someone meet me at the Santo Domingo airport for drop off and then have someone pick up the dog in Miami (I'll be continuing on with Delta Airlines from Miami to Atlanta) then I could take the dog as checked baggage. American's web site says that would cost $150. Since I'm changing airlines in Miami I wouldn't be able to transport the dog any further than there (American will not interline pets to other carriers and I don't have a long enough layover to re-check the pet).

skyking
Zip Code: 33043
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KMTH
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by skyking » Tue Jan 13, 2009 3:25 pm

If Brandon can get the pup to Miami, we might be able to get a local rescue shelter to bring the pup from Miami International to Tamiami airport (KTMB). From there I could fly the pup to the Florida/Georgia border. You might want to re-post a transport from Miami area to Wash D.C. area.

Good Luck

Jeff

bross

Post by bross » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:11 pm

Could this be our first Pilots N Paws international rescue?? Either way, it has begun, Lucky has been checked with American Airlines. In a few hours we'll be in Miami.

(Posted from the Santo Domingo airport)

skyking

Post by skyking » Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:25 pm

I will be picking up Lucky on Thursday morning at Ft.Lauderdale Executive airport (KFXE) and taking her to Spruce Creek, Florida.

Jeff

bross

Post by bross » Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:45 pm

International transport complete! I've posted some pictures here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonros ... 058504479/

Customs was surprisingly simple and quick. I just showed them the paperwork that the vet prepared and though Lucky and I went. I've had a much harder time importing coffee and tea! I was concerned that I'd be cutting my layover close as I had to transfer to a different airline, but it was so quick that I almost made it to an earlier flight!

Good luck, Lucky!

admin
Site Admin
Pilot?: No

Post by admin » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:01 pm

bross wrote:International transport complete! I've posted some pictures here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brandonros ... 058504479/
Customs was surprisingly simple and quick. I just showed them the paperwork that the vet prepared and though Lucky and I went. I've had a much harder time importing coffee and tea! I was concerned that I'd be cutting my layover close as I had to transfer to a different airline, but it was so quick that I almost made it to an earlier flight!
Good luck, Lucky!
Never underestimate the power of pilots and good hearted people! This is a fabulous story. I must admit, when Steve first sent his email request I was cautiously optomistic that maybe on of our commercial friends would be headed that way and could fly this pup back.

Enter, Brandon, once again, and Jeff too, who truly show the spirit of good will and represent the best in human nature. Thank you Steve, for caring about this abandoned pup and seeing to it that he has a warm place with lots of love to live out his life. PNP International, has a nice ring to it :D

Debi

MuttsMom

Post by MuttsMom » Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:16 pm

I don't mean to butt in, but since I've had the honor of having transports with Brandon and Jeff, I just wanted to say, way to go guys!!! The pup looks amazing from when Steve 1st started helping this baby, and once again, "sky angels" come to the rescue.....literally. I'll never stop being amazed and so proud, to be apart of the, rescue family.

skyking

Post by skyking » Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:47 pm

Happy to report that "Lucky" is in Daytona Beach, FL. I got in and out of Spruce Creek before the weather front came in. She should be on her way to North Carolina on Saturday.

Jeff

lspoel

Post by lspoel » Tue Feb 03, 2009 7:51 am

Lucky stayed with us in Daytona Beach for two days. On Saturday I flew her to North Carolina to meet her last pilot and ride home. She's a sweet girl.
Lovada