Need transport for 5+ Japanese Chins from Fl to CT

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
sehall

Re: Need transport for 5+ Japanese Chins from Fl to CT

Post by sehall » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:31 pm

Kim

The morning of the 22nd would be no problem. If the weather looks difficult on the 22nd we can always opt for the 21st

What airport will the delivery be to?

Steve

mskymee

Post by mskymee » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:42 pm

Steve,
Can you get them into the Groton-New London Airport? Bridgeport is horrid. Even worse at night. We are in the far south east corner of CT. Just 10 miles or so from Rhode Island.
Kim

sehall

Post by sehall » Sun Feb 01, 2009 7:26 am

Groton is easy. Is that the closest airport?

mskymee

Post by mskymee » Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:00 am

Yes, it very close. Maybe 15 miles from me.
Kim

mskymee

Post by mskymee » Mon Feb 02, 2009 2:47 pm

Crates and Health Certificates.
Hi all,
The 5 Chin that are being transported weigh 10-12 lbs each. We will supply individual crates for the chin if you have enough room for that many crates. Also, for the health certificates, do you require the same certificates as the larger airlines?
Please let me know what to do on the crates and certificates.
Kim

mskymee

Post by mskymee » Tue Feb 03, 2009 6:55 am

We now have foster homes for 3 extra chin in Virginia. Can the transport handle 3 extra chins?
Kim

mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCPK
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by mchutto » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:37 am

Where in Virginia? How big are the crates? What is the approximate weight of the crates and dogs?

I can take the crate out of my plane to open up some space. The back seats are already out. I probably have room, but really need the crate dimensions to be sure. Probably no impact on Steve if the Virginia foster parents can pick the three extra ones up at Chesapeake.

This adds to the transfer time between planes at Deland. We might want to examine the current schedule when we get close enough for a wind forecast. With favorable winds, we have a shot at doing the whole trip in one day if we start early. If the opposite is true, we need to plan for two days unless the weather is deteriorating on day two.

Marty

NancyW

Post by NancyW » Tue Feb 03, 2009 2:20 pm

Marty, I'm Nancy in Fort Lauderdale who will be taking the Chin to the airport for their first flight. The crates are not purchased at yet. If you tell me the exact space available we will work around that (height, width, etc.). We could go with a few that were a bit larger and two could go in if that helped. Most are 10-12 pounds. This Saturday we were going to begin the search for the smallest available that wouldn't be too small for them but I will wait to hear from you as far as whether doubling up a few would work. Thanks so much.

skyking
Zip Code: 33043
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KMTH
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by skyking » Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:41 pm

Hi Nancy,

This is pilot #1, Jeff. At 10-12 pounds you should be able to use a cat carrier. If that's the case, you can stack them in the baggage compartment. You can use tie wraps, twine or rope to secure the top ones to the bottom ones. My plane can fit 6 cat carriers in the back (stacked). You want to watch the height of the carriers so that stacking is possible.

Jeff
[email protected]
305-797-6356

NancyW

Post by NancyW » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 am

Thanks, Jeff. I did receive your phone number from Kim for final arrangements - - will they be going to the main Ft. Laud airport or the executive airport - - what time should they be there, etc. My phone numbers are: cell 954-240-2734; home 954-797-2923 (I live about 10 minutes from the main airport). Nancy