English Coonhound needs ride from OH to FL

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
Jimmy

English Coonhound needs ride from OH to FL

Post by Jimmy » Tue Feb 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Sam, an almost 3 year old English Coonhound needs a ride from Athens, OH to Brooksville, FL where he will live out the rest of his days on 23 acres with a fellow rescued English Coonhound (about 50lbs). His foster home rescued him from a kill shelter back in November 2007. He has a great disposition.
Thanks,
Jimmy [map:45701-34601]

lspoel

Re: English Coonhound needs ride from OH to FL

Post by lspoel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:47 am

Hi, When is this for? Will he be traveling in a crate? Get him close to Florida and, depending on the date, I might be able to take him the rest of the way.

Lovada

mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: KCPK
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Post by mchutto » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:32 am

I'm going to DeLand, FL from Chesapeake, VA in two weeks. If you're still looking for transport then, let me know and I can take him to DeLand if you can get him to Chesapeake, VA, and arrange for someone to pick him up at DeLand.

Marty Hutto

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:18 pm

There is no set schedule when he has to come down. The sooner the better though. I will have to purchase a crate for him. I will do some research and find out where I can purchase one and have it drop shipped to the foster home where Sam is at.

DJK3737T
Foster?: No
Airport identifier: KFDK

Post by DJK3737T » Thu Feb 05, 2009 7:31 pm

Marty, I might be able to coordinate this with you, depending on dates -- the 15th is off the board due to my wife's birthday!

I'm based at FDK and am familiar with CPK (I was based at MQI for three years). I'll have to check the distances, but I might be able to deliver him to you.

It looks like about six hours to fly the triangle, which is inside my comfort zone if conditions aren't too challenging.

-- DJK3737T

admin
Site Admin
Pilot?: No

Post by admin » Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:56 pm

Jimmy wrote:There is no set schedule when he has to come down. The sooner the better though. I will have to purchase a crate for him. I will do some research and find out where I can purchase one and have it drop shipped to the foster home where Sam is at.
Jimmy, Marty and all......I have crates available to UPS to pilots for their use. Pilots can keep these crates and use them for each of your transports. You just need to contact me privately with the dimensions of the area in your plane so we can see which size will fit. [email protected] It takes a couple weeks to get the crates to you, please keep that in mind.

Thanks!
Debi

Jimmy

Post by Jimmy » Fri Feb 06, 2009 6:51 am

It sounds like this might work! I can easily drive to Deland. Would both of you prefer that he be kept in a crate (I don't think it is manditory)? If so, please let Debi know the dimensions. If the crate can't get to you quick enough, I will make other arrangments to help make this all come together. And thank you Debi for providing crates.

Thanks,
Jimmy
100_5402.jpg
100_5402.jpg (37.54 KiB) Viewed 1068 times

mchutto
Zip Code: 23322
Airport identifier: KCPK

Post by mchutto » Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:17 am

I'm bringing 8 Japanese Chins back from FL, so I will not have room for a crate on the way down. So far, all my canine passengers have curled up in the back and gone to sleep. I have a harness I can use to keep him from getting in the right seat if he doesn't settle down. Make sure he has a collar and a leash so I can give him a potty break at my refueling stop.

My plan is to leave on the morning of the 19th. The only question is how early he can get to CPK. I usually plan on 5 1/2 to 6 hours for the trip down and would like to leave CPK by 10:00.

Marty

DJK3737T

Post by DJK3737T » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Hmmm... The 19th could be tough for me. It's a Thursday, so I'd normally need to be at work -- I do most of my rescue flying on weekends -- and getting to CPK by 10:00 would barely be feasible even if I came directly from FDK.

Jimmy and Marty -- If I can arrange to get the time off to do the flying on the 18th, is there some place he could spend the night down that way?

I'm looking at about four and a half hours of flight time to go from Frederick to Athens, then down to Chesapeake, plus at least half an hour on the ground making the pick-up, so getting to CPK before 10:00 a.m. just isn't in the cards. I don't mind flying after nightfall, but I'm not sharp in the mornings and don't try to fly before dawn.

Another possibility would be to look for an overnight foster in or near Frederick and do the flying on two successive days. However, that increases our vulnerability to unfavorable weather. That would also require me to take two half days off, which might or might not be easier to arrange.

-- DJK

DJK3737T

Post by DJK3737T » Fri Feb 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Oh, and I also prefer to harness adult dogs to one of the rear seat belts and let them stretch out.

-- DJK