Transporting a pregnant dog

Just ask! Volunteer mentors are here to share their knowledge and experience.
TheMaj48

Transporting a pregnant dog

Post by TheMaj48 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:37 pm

I am with New Spirit 4 Aussie Rescue, Inc., we've had dogs flown by your org on several occasions, but I wasn't the person who organized the flights, so I don't know quite how to deal with this unique situation.

We'd like to help a VERY pregnant Australian Shepherd who is presently located in Chester County, SC. We have a foster home for her in SC PA if we can get her here. A Charlotte, NC to Frederick, MD (or Gettysburg, PA) flight would be lovely.

My question pertains to the admin requirements. It is not safe to give a live vaccine to a pregnant dog. Under the circumstances, is it necessary? She was a stray.

thanks

Laura
VP, New Spirit 4 Aussie Rescue, Inc.
www.ns4ar.org

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

Re: Transporting a pregnant dog

Post by deeogee1 » Wed May 04, 2011 9:26 pm

Hi Laura,
A good friend of mine in PA works with New Spirit. :)
To answer your question, to the best of my knowledge, the vet can note on the health certificate that vaccines can not be administered while she is pregnant or nursing. I'm know ground transports have been handled like that. I was involved with a pregnant dog going from KY to PA. And I know of dogs who do not get vaccinated because of an illness & the vet gives the owner paperwork stating that.
As long as the vet in SC agrees to sign off on it, you should be OK. (And if I'm wrong--someone will let us know ASAP. ;) ).

Joanne

TheMaj48

Post by TheMaj48 » Thu May 05, 2011 11:42 am

thanks. Mama delivered 5 babies not long after my post. Three have survived the rough conditions so far despite best efforts by shelter staff, they were probably premature due to the stressful situation. We've arranged ground transportation on Sunday, I doubt any pilot will want to take on a litter of newborns. A long drive.

deeogee1
PNP Transport Advisor
Zip Code: 46254
Foster?: No

Post by deeogee1 » Thu May 05, 2011 3:51 pm

Laura,
There's some awesome pilots here. I'd suggest posting your request, just in case. The worst scenario is that no one responds. But you might be pleasantly surprised. ;)

Joanne

Debi
Co-founder
Foster?: Yes

Post by Debi » Thu May 05, 2011 8:12 pm

TheMaj48 wrote:thanks. Mama delivered 5 babies not long after my post. Three have survived the rough conditions so far despite best efforts by shelter staff, they were probably premature due to the stressful situation. We've arranged ground transportation on Sunday, I doubt any pilot will want to take on a litter of newborns. A long drive.
AW, this poor mama and her pups, thank you for doing all you can for them.

If you read under the Guidelines forum, there is a topic on How young can pups fly? There are varied opinions so always ask your vet. I have personally been told not before they are three weeks old. That being said, under emergency circumstances some of our pilots have flown the mama dog an her newborns. Pilots need to keep the cabin warmer then normal, or make sure the pups are warm in their crate, and climb and descent at a gradual pace.

Some transport the pups in a crate with Mom tethered, some transport the pups in one crate and the Mom in another though this really puts alot of stress on Mom. If the dogs are small and the crate is fairly large, all should be fine together as well. Each situation is different so each must be evaluated individually.

It is always safest to transport one mom and one litter at a time with not other dogs on board and disinfected crates are always a must between each transport.

Debi