2011 Pilots N Paws Awareness Event Sept.17 PLEASE REPLY!

A general discussion forum for all members interested in transporting needy animals.
Forum rules
Do not post transport requests here. Post them in Ride Board.
admin
Site Admin
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

2011 Pilots N Paws Awareness Event Sept.17 PLEASE REPLY!

Post by admin » Sat May 14, 2011 7:20 pm

Hello Everyone,

As most of you are aware, each year we launch a special awareness event for Pilots N Paws. This allows us to bring focus to our volunteers and to the animal overcrowding conditions across the country. It provides an opportunity to educate people about the high euthanasia rates and how working together we can create change.

Last year, our event was primarily in the New Orleans area, helping animals displaced by the oil spill. This year, our event will be a national event in honor of 22 dogs who were allegedly shot and killed by shelter workers in Chesterfield, S.C. rather then sent to rescue, adopted out, or humanely euthanized. The kick-off location will be in Florence, S.C. however we would like rescues and pilots across the country to join together and make a flight in their honor as well. The title for this years event is:

"Pilots N Paws: Memorial Rescue Flights for The Chesterfield 22"

The goal is not to sit in judgment, but to let people know this type of treatment is not acceptable, there is a better way, and people are willing to help. The date we have decided on is Saturday, September 17th with the 18th as as back-up date. If need be, we can also postpone to the following weekend if weather is truly uncooperative. This is the week after the 10 year anniversary of September 11 and it is not our desire to lessen that tragedy or memory as we all grieve for family and friends lost that day. We would like to think they would approve of our efforts as no doubt many animals were lost that day as well.

What we need to know initially is how many pilots would be willing to join us at the kick-off location in Florence, S.C.? From the response we receive from pilots we will be able to determine how many rescues can be accommodated and which directions we can count on for flights. We just need to know how many planes and pilot volunteers will be coming in and flying out at this particular location. Once again we will be breaking down the legs on the longer flights and relaying with other pilots so even if you are not in the SC area please let is know if you are interested in connecting with those who can be on the ground in Florence.

As with the New Orleans event, food, hotels and transportation to and from the airport will be provided by our fabulous sponsor Subaru. Our much appreciated sponsor Petmate will supply crates, harnesses etc for our pilots to use. The FBO in Florence will provide fuel discounts and bring extra linemen in as needed. Please send me an email directly at [email protected] to let us know if you can fly a leg or reply on the forum board to this announcement.

Let's see how many animals we can move that weekend across our country in memory of so many others who were not given the opportunity. If we don't help, who will?

Thank you all for your continued dedication. Look for future updates!

Pilots N Paws Board

nicholas757
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes

Re: 2011 Pilots N Paws Awareness Event Sept.17 PLEASE REPLY

Post by nicholas757 » Sun May 15, 2011 12:45 pm

Let me be the 1st to say I'll be there! C'mon pilots lets all get on board to save these innocents.

Nick

Susan Delgado
Zip Code: 95126
Airport identifier: KSJC
Distance willing to fly one way: 450

Post by Susan Delgado » Thu May 19, 2011 9:56 pm

I will plan to be there...and some of us are in touch with a reporter from Raleigh that is interested in a story so maybe we can get her to come (or fly her to th event!). Susan
Susan Delgado
Based KSJC - IFR
Bonanza A36
678-457-6884
[email protected]

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Thu May 19, 2011 10:06 pm

Thank you Nick and Susan! It is our hope that many pilots will join us not only on the ground in Florence but across the country.

For everyone planning on being at the kick-off site in S.C., please send an email to [email protected] so that we can add you to the list!

artsmonster

Post by artsmonster » Sun May 22, 2011 12:50 pm

Debi, as a follow up to Patty and I planning to attend, the reporter who wrote the article for the rescue Journal has asked if she could volunteer to help load, walk etc. She has asked to attend and write an article about the event. She will accompany us if OK with you, and if the room has two beds, will have no problem sleeping there. Looking forward to the trip!!

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Sun May 22, 2011 1:13 pm

Sounds great Art, will put you down to be there and wonderful that the reporter would like to fly along. Perhaps we can fill you up with puppies like we did last year to head to Second Chance Puppies and Kittens? Everything is a work in progress but we did want to reach out and get an idea of how many pilots would be on the ground at the kick-off location and which directions they were coming from and headed back to.

Thanks so much!
Debi

Skywagon180

Post by Skywagon180 » Tue May 24, 2011 6:53 am

Put me on the list also......

Rhonda

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » Tue May 24, 2011 8:03 am

Will do Rhonda, thank you! Do you know if Jim will be available or not?

Debi

Morgana

Post by Morgana » Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 pm

You guys are awesome to be doing this! I suggest a post to [email protected] - a widely read blog that followed the immediate aftermath of the Chesterfield 22. They can broadcast your event and I am sure they would be glad to! I cannot be there, but HOORAY FOR PNP!

Jon Wells
Foster?: No

Post by Jon Wells » Tue May 24, 2011 9:50 pm

Please put me on the list as well....I am coming out of the Greensboro, NC area.....thanks for putting this together.

Jon Wells
JW
N3307R Cessna 182
Airline Transport Pilot (ATP)- CFI/CFII/MEI/CFI-G