8 Lab/St Bernard pups

Transport requests are moved to this forum when they are marked 'DONE'.
moorelabs
Zip Code: 27502
Foster?: Yes
Pilot?: No
Airport identifier: KRDU
Distance willing to fly one way: 0

8 Lab/St Bernard pups

Post by moorelabs » Sat Jun 04, 2011 1:38 pm

Number of animals being transported: 8
Breeds, weight, age: 8 lab/st bernard pups ~10lbs each
Health Condition: Good
Heart worm Status:
Vaccinations: first vaccines
Health Certificate: if required by pilot
Spay/Neutered: no
Special needs: non
Name of Sending & Receiving Rescue/Parties:
Sending: Debbie Letteney
MooreLabs
Southern Pines, NC
585-415-8475

Receiving: Randi Warfel
Aardvark Animal Hospital
161 Dowlin Forge Road
Lionville, PA 19341
610-363-8080
Contact information (publicly viewable on forum): Debbie Letteney
MooreLabs
Southern Pines, NC
585-415-8475
Additional Info/situation:
Attachments
241203_134355023306189_131450323596659_263827_3950938_o.jpg
Last edited by moorelabs on Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

RickG
Zip Code: 27705
Foster?: No
Pilot?: Yes
Airport identifier: 8NC8

Re: 6 Lab/St Bernard pups

Post by RickG » Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:49 am

This will likely be a two leg trip .. I'll check with some pilots I transfer to in the VA area and see if they can take the second leg up to PA. Is this coming weekend (6/11 or 12) an option for these guys? Rick
Durham, NC (8NC8)
C172E VFR
93 rescue flights ... 347 dogs ... and 53 cats!

Jon Wells

Post by Jon Wells » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:47 pm

I could probably do the first leg, from SOP to XSA (Essex County). It's a good airport, been pretty good luck as a half way point for these flights up to NJ/PA area.

J. Wells
N3307R (IFR)
N5228T (IFR)
JW
N3307R Cessna 182
Airline Transport Pilot (ATP)- CFI/CFII/MEI/CFI-G

Jon Wells

Post by Jon Wells » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:50 pm

Also, I am not available this weekend, but if Friday a.m. looked good, we could do it then, if you can get another pilot for the north end. I have enough crates to put them in, but they would need to transfer over to someone else's crates at the half-way point. It's a thought, let me know. Weather for the weekend is not looking good.

JW
JW
N3307R Cessna 182

RickG

Post by RickG » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:28 pm

I've gotten a note back from two pilots I've worked with on trips from the VA area north and neither are available this week. I will continue to work on other sources but hopefully another pilot will take note of this posting. I don't think 6 vs 7 pups will be an issue if they are only 9# each - bringing the golden retriever along (as indicated in your email) would be dependent on the aircraft used by various pilots. Hopefully we'll know more in coming days.
Durham, NC (8NC8)
C172E VFR

Jon Wells

Re: 8 Lab/St Bernard pups

Post by Jon Wells » Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:24 pm

OK, did I miss something, I saw "6" and now I am seeing "8", is the number growing? :o
JW
N3307R Cessna 182

RickG

Post by RickG » Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:38 pm

Hi Jon - as of late Monday the logistics are in place for the transfer. I am flying the dogs up from NC to VA early Thursday morning and will meet Wes (archerpilot) in Hanover County (KOPF). Wes will take the pups up to West Chester (KOQN). Thanks for the offer of help - should there be a change of plans we'll get in touch.
Durham, NC (8NC8)
C172E VFR

RickG

Post by RickG » Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:48 am

I'm glad we were able to complete this transfer on Thursday.

It was a huge disappointment for me and Wes (who flew the VA -> PA leg) that after all the effort put into this transport we had to leave some of the dogs behind. The carriers were not of the size specified during our numerous exchanges leading up to the flight and would not fit on the planes. I'm still a bit perplexed as to why the pilots were not notified when it was clear none of the crates were of the dimensions previously confirmed by email, on the phone, and on the flight sheet that was distributed to all involved. The size of the carriers was critical given the different aircraft used on this transfer.

Even at 4:00am, which is when I started my day to get ready for the first leg of this trip, I could have stopped by a Walmart and picked up something that would have allowed all 8 of the dogs on the flight. Your volunteer Wilma, who met me at the field with the dogs for the NC -> VA leg after we repositioned to Sanford, indicated she would have happily done the same. All it would have taken was a phone call.

There also appeared to be some communication issues with the receiving party. When I called to give them an updated arrival time once the dogs were transferred in VA, and mentioned we only had 6 (of the 8) dogs on-board, they were surprised and somewhat concerned by the change. Should it have been the pilot's responsibility to communicate this news?

As a volunteer pilot I'd like to remind sending & receiving parties:

1) A successful transfer is a partnership. We (pilots) are not a livery service. We are volunteering our time and resources just as you have generously and lovingly provided as rescuers and fosters.

2) Please be respectful of the information we request prior to a flight. The details are needed to configure the airplane before leaving our home base (i.e. possibly removing seats), for weight and balance calculations, for flight planning, and to avoid incidents such as the above. Our objective is a safe and successful transfer of the dogs, and ourselves.

3) Multi-leg transfers require a lot of coordination. A good amount of communication takes place behind the scenes amongst the pilots to make these work. We try to make it look easy ... but staying on task so we can focus on flying, safety, and keeping to a schedule, instead of dealing with avoidable issues like this on the day of the flight, is a huge help. Sometimes it makes sense to assign a point person from each side (pilot and rescuer) who is responsible for communicating amongst their team. This is to keep communication targeted and to a minimum (i.e. it may not be necessary to include every pilot on every email exchanged amongst every sending and receiving party). An example: on one transfer the 4 pilots involved were copied on over 92 emails ... the information we needed to piece together the transfer was in 3 of the messages. It was difficult to keep track of what we were transporting and where we were going.

4) A difference in crate size of 10" (or even 5") can be a make or break deal in many of our small airplanes. Any change in transfer plans should be immediately communicated to the pilot(s).

5) Please do not forget we too are animal lovers ... that happen to be pilots. Leaving dogs behind is just as disturbing to us as it would be to a rescue group.

Let's learn from this experience and move on to the next transfer!
Wes_Hughes_KOFP.jpg
What's not to love? Wes with one of the Labranards (KOFP - 6/9/11)
Durham, NC (8NC8)
C172E VFR